What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How about a conversation on purchasing pre-owned tubs in general?  (Read 3081 times)

DeaconV

A previous poster has asked about a specific used tub and that got me to thinking.  When we visited area showrooms a couple of weeks back the sales rep slipped in a brief thing about 'trade in tubs'...and quickly moved on.

What's the general thoughts on buying a used tub, "reconditioned" at a dealer?  What sort of a discounted price would one expect to receive?  What components would one want to assure had been replaced, or at least receive perhaps a bit more warranty coverage on in a negotiated purchase?

Hot Tub Forum

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: How about a conversation on purchasing pre-owned tubs in general?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:48 am »
There are many things you need to know before you buy a used tub. One of them is if the company is still in business. That will impact the ability to get parts - and it may only be headrest pillows, as many tub makers buy generic parts and assemble. There are also some folks like Balboa which make universal control systems, so if you lose the whole main box you can proceed with a full replacement.

For the most part, you will always be able to get a new cover, filter, jets, heater, and for most tubs, a direct replacement pump/motor should be easy to obtain.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

htbuk

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »
A reputable dealer will offer at least 6-12 months warranty on a reconditioned spa. I'd look to try and get a new Cover and Pillows in with the deal too, as this will save you around $500-700.
UK hot tub and pool retailer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:01 am »
Pricing is a big consideration in the choice between new and used, of course, but you really need to add up all the costs when you are looking at any tub. If I show you a new tub on my showroom floor, I can easily tell you a finished price. In most cases I simply add a lift, tax and we're done. some models don't come with Ozone, but that's easy to add in to the price as well, and then install it on delivery. I can even add in the electrical work if needed. My point is: you have a complete price before you write the check.

But when you are looking at a used tub from a private party, it is easy to focus on the asking price and stop. Sometimes folks get tubs free and then come to me complaining of how much I want to charge them to move it, the price of covers, filters, etc. Get as many prices as you can up front - you will hardly ever end up near the price of a new tub (at least not a major brand) but then, you're not going to get the equal to a new tub for pennies. All those nice shiny new things cost no matter who you are getting them from. Few people replace the cover just before they give a spa away, so keep in mind you will need to spend a bit more to get the thing running in your backyard.

People expect more from a dealer than a private party, and it costs more. When I go through a used tub I put in new Moto Massage assemblies, new filters, a new heater unless I can verify it's less than a couple of years old, new headrest pillows, new cover and if the lift has air (gas) springs, I usually put those on new as well. I always put a new circ pump in, and I may update the heater relay board just to be sure there are NO problems with anything on the tub for a good long time. I mostly only sell HotSpring tubs used. I do sometimes get other brand tubs, but it has to be in amazingly good shape - and usually a brand I have sold in the past so I have some knowledge of what to look for.

That gives my customer peace of mind, but it costs money!! By time I have done all of the above, I have put an easy thousand dollars worth of parts into the tub. The labor is minimal - I can put the tub on the forks of my lift and have the motor compartment scrubbed clean and refitted in under an hour. I don't generally sell tubs with wood siding if I can avoid it - but having said that it dawns on me that I have three tubs with wood siding in stock! It happens...

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42