What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Jacuzzi Experts  (Read 22570 times)

smackman

Question for Jacuzzi Experts
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
Okay, I am a Engineer by former trade so I like to "drill down" on situations. LOL My Jacuzzi 2010
 J 465 has a primary filter and a secondary filter. Here is what I discovered;

The water ONLY flows across the secondary filter when one the blower motors or motors are running. When the Hot Tub is just recirculating in Primary mode, No water flows across the Secondary filter.

If you set up the timers for primary and secondary filter, you will see that the secondary filter timer actually runs a blower motor and the recirculation pump. It is near to impossible to take off the secondary filter cap when in this mode.

When the Primary filter is running, Water only flows across the primary filter; The cap is easily removed without resistance on the secondary filter.

Can someone explain what is going on in the underneath plumbing to make this happen?

Thanks for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Jacuzzi Experts
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

smackman

Re: Question for Jacuzzi Experts
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58:40 pm »
Also, I have learned that Pump 1 has to be running for the secondary filter to be functional. The circulation pump uses only the big Primary filter. Pump 1 Brings the secondary filter into "play".
Pump 2 just kicks ass for a great Hot Tub experience.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »
Okay, I am a Engineer by former trade so I like to "drill down" on situations. LOL My Jacuzzi 2010

The water ONLY flows across the secondary filter when one the blower motors or motors are running. When the Hot Tub is just recirculating in Primary mode, No water flows across the Secondary filter.

If you set up the timers for primary and secondary filter, you will see that the secondary filter timer actually runs a blower motor and the recirculation pump. It is near to impossible to take off the secondary filter cap when in this mode.

When the Primary filter is running, Water only flows across the primary filter; The cap is easily removed without resistance on the secondary filter.

Can someone explain what is going on in the underneath plumbing to make this happen?

Thanks for the help.

Your circ pump draws through the floating wier side of the filtration, pump 1 draws through the closed system.  Pump 2 draws from two of the suctions in the btm of the spa.    Pump 2 use to draw from the closed system but they changed it.

As far as plumbing goes pump 1 is tied into the fitration (closed system) then it also probably draws from one of the suctions as well.  There should be a check valve built in between the filtration part and the suction part then tee's to the pump.   This is so if the filter becomes so clogged up, the check valve will open and alow water to come from someplace else other than the closed system.

Most spas today "except" the upper end H,Spring and all the Cal-Spa's will always have multiple suctions to draw from so you don't have so much suction coming from one suction that a child or (adult for that matter) can be trapped by it.     

VGB act I believe.  Virginia Graham Baker act which you can look up if you wish, a very sad story that has changed safety standards in pools and spa's.   

smackman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »

Thanks for the help.

Your circ pump draws through the floating wier side of the filtration, pump 1 draws through the closed system.  Pump 2 draws from two of the suctions in the btm of the spa.    Pump 2 use to draw from the closed system but they changed it.

As far as plumbing goes pump 1 is tied into the fitration (closed system) then it also probably draws from one of the suctions as well.  There should be a check valve built in between the filtration part and the suction part then tee's to the pump.   This is so if the filter becomes so clogged up, the check valve will open and alow water to come from someplace else other than the closed system.

Most spas today "except" the upper end H,Spring and all the Cal-Spa's will always have multiple suctions to draw from so you don't have so much suction coming from one suction that a child or (adult for that matter) can be trapped by it.     

VGB act I believe.  Virginia Graham Baker act which you can look up if you wish, a very sad story that has changed safety standards in pools and spa's.

WOW! Thanks for the expert explanation. Your knowledge is very impressive. Most Hot Tub owners could care less; I just like to know the "bolts and screws" of a system.

Yesterday, I set the Secondary filter to run for 90 minutes. The Hot Tub Temp. was 100; the set point was 98. When the 90 minutes was up, My Damn Jacuzzi was at 104 degrees!  ;D I generally do 101 and 104 was a "goods night sleep" after 20 min of Hydrotherapy.
Jacuzzi has a extremely temperature efficient hot tub.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:25 pm »

Thanks for the help.

are some of the new Cal's setup differently? all the new models I've seen still have bypasses on the bottom of the spa, but then again they have dozens and dozens of models so admittedly I haven't seen them all of course.  To my knowledge Hot Spring is the only tub still setup to filter 100% of the water while jets pumps are running

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:58 pm »

Thanks for the help.

are some of the new Cal's setup differently? all the new models I've seen still have bypasses on the bottom of the spa, but then again they have dozens and dozens of models so admittedly I haven't seen them all of course.  To my knowledge Hot Spring is the only tub still setup to filter 100% of the water while jets pumps are running

Cal has something called safety suction..   If the suction becomes blocked it alows air to be sucked in from somewhere to break the seal?   Something like that, has nothing really to do with filtration. 

On a side note, why hasn't anybody else done the 100% no by-pass filtration?  (maybe they have)  You would think, if it's so great why don't more manufacturers do it??    I will admit it is a great selling tool just strange HS is the only.

Just curious..

smackman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »
Well, I know when both Jets/blower motors are running on my J 465, The circulation pump runs also. Actually anytime 1 or both of the jet pumps are running the circulation pump where the big filter is automatically come on.

I do not see how the primary  filter could ever be bypassed but I could be wrong.

I run my circulation pump a max of 6 hours a day; As much water as this pump turns over, I feel it is more than enough.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:44:04 pm by smackman »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »
 Circ pump filtration is only dedicated to a filter, not many kids or stupid people are going to get sucked into or stuck the the filter system.    I suppose if a really fat person sat their butt up there without the floating wier there, they would get one heck of a hickey.   :o

smackman

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »
Circ pump filtration is only dedicated to a filter, not many kids or stupid people are going to get sucked into or stuck the the filter system.    I suppose if a really fat person sat their butt up there without the floating wier there, they would get one heck of a hickey.   :o

Anyone that ignorant needs to buy a kiddy pool.  8) It would be VERY uncomfortable to even get ones booty to the opening on the weir; If one attempts this, make sure you sit and not the other way; That would "really suck"  :D

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »

Thanks for the help.

Cal has something called safety suction..   If the suction becomes blocked it alows air to be sucked in from somewhere to break the seal?   Something like that, has nothing really to do with filtration. 

On a side note, why hasn't anybody else done the 100% no by-pass filtration?  (maybe they have)  You would think, if it's so great why don't more manufacturers do it??    I will admit it is a great selling tool just strange HS is the only.

Just curious..

Honestly don't know...cost of manufacturing comes to mind, but that would be a question for the sales reps from various companies that don't use it...One thing I have learned since we have spas with both styles of filtration (always at least 4 models filled in my showroom) is that you can never have enough circulation and filtration...it just makes for slightly less maintenance and chemicals in the end....I would never even contemplate buying a spa without 24hr cirulation

smackman

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »
Edited to keep the peace
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:53:39 pm by smackman »

bajabill

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45:44 am »
what are the intended purposes of the filter/chemicals/ozone etc.?

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

Just curious..

There is no bypass on the Sundance filtration system.  The filter pump always pulls through the filter.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:47 am »
Why does a Hot Tub need 24 hour circulation? My circulation pump will turn my water over many times in a 6 hour period.

I never run my Hot tub circulation over 5-6 hours except when beginning.
My Hot Tub stays Crystal clear. I do keep a nice cover on it when not in use.

no spa NEEDS 24hr circulation, just makes for a little less maintenance, also most 24hr circ. pumps are separate from your main jets pumps which allow a little less wear and tear on jet pumps, less vibration and noise especially if the spa is on a deck attached to the house....it also makes for a much more efficient heating system because the energy from circ pump is transferred into heat which means your spa will maintain temperature rather than constantly kick your heater on and off.  Also nice if your using some type of silver ion system or  because now you have water flow constantly over the silver "stick"...these are just my opinions/experiences in the last 13 years, there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:07:29 am by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

smackman

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:43 pm »
My circulation pump is separate from the jet pumps. I think it would not be economical to run a 400-500 gallon Hot Tub 24 hours a day. A pool only requires that water be turned over once daily in most circumstances; I owned a 18000 gallon above ground pool for years. It took way more Maintenance than a Hot Tub especially A Jacuzzi machine like I own. ;)

Also, not only is my circulation pump designed to be energy efficient due to heat transfer but my Jet Motors are more energy efficient than the Circulation pump. It is a freaking machine.

Sometimes Individuals make it way to complicated with the maintenance of a Hot Tub.

My Jacuzzi J 465 is basically Maintenance free after initial water balancing. It basically self cleans. I use to deal with a "scum line" but HTH Enzyme Cleaner is the answer to that; works great.

Now Jacuzzi has a feature built in the J 1000 controller called "Summer Logic". If the water temp. is higher than 95 F and rises 2 degrees above the set temperature, it goes into "Summer Logic" that keeps the circulation pump off except for the 2 hours it automatically runs from 9 - 11 AM.

This can cause me issues in the summer time because my Hot Tub Temperature will stay above 95 for days. We like 101. We use our Hot Tub daily for 20 - 30 minutes.

Due to our Hot Climate in the Summer, It will stay above 95 for days. I cheat the system and get the set point at the current temp so my circulation pump will do its job.  Summer logic can be a pain in the rear but the flip side is how well my Jacuzzi J 465 is insulated.

They say it is a safety issue; I guess heat for a extended period of time on the pump....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42