What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Component Quality Concerns  (Read 8939 times)

ZZLite

Component Quality Concerns
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:06:15 pm »
Doing Spa Research is like "Nightmare on Elm Street"  ;D
Looking to buy my first Spa and after substantial research I've bought into the thermal barrier insulation method over full foam due to interior access, component heat reclaim, shell strength / structure,...etc. Just makes sense to me. Location is outdoor in Tucson, AZ (winters high teens and summers mid 110)
I believe that all hot tubs will have a problem at one time or another and because of the $$$ involved, I would like to buy the highest quality I can afford. Warranty, Dealer integrity and wet testing are a given.
Narrowed it down to Arctic and Clearwater and my questions are as follows:
* Quality of components
* Workmanship
* Replacement Parts after Warranty (OEM / Generic)
* Inherent problems or issues
Could anyone shed some light on these questions / concerns?
Willing to listen to other brand suggestions. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Component Quality Concerns
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:06:15 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Component Quality Concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
Doing Spa Research is like "Nightmare on Elm Street"  ;D
Looking to buy my first Spa and after substantial research I've bought into the thermal barrier insulation method over full foam due to interior access, component heat reclaim, shell strength / structure,...etc. Just makes sense to me. Location is outdoor in Tucson, AZ (winters high teens and summers mid 110)
I believe that all hot tubs will have a problem at one time or another and because of the $$$ involved, I would like to buy the highest quality I can afford. Warranty, Dealer integrity and wet testing are a given.
Narrowed it down to Arctic and Clearwater and my questions are as follows:
* Quality of components
* Workmanship
* Replacement Parts after Warranty (OEM / Generic)
* Inherent problems or issues
Could anyone shed some light on these questions / concerns?
Willing to listen to other brand suggestions. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Full foam has it's purpose, it's why many "major" manufacturers use it.    Yes if you get a leak full foam can be a pain.  But it also helps keep the plumbing stable not to mention the insulation factor and noise factor.  I have always liked full foam spa's over the thermal type.   It just makes sense in the long run.    But don't let it be the reason between which spa you buy.

Component wise both use Balboa equipment I believe, so pretty much the same internal packs and heaters with similar topsides.   Balboa make equipment for many many manufacturers.  Jet wise they both use Waterway, not positive.  They are a decent jet but once again made for the masses, and can have issues down the road with the jets falling apart.  While they have gotten better at building the jets to last they still can fail.  Highend jets like in the Jacuzzi,Sundance and H,Spring spas can and do fail but the rate of failure and the odds of failing are far less then the ones built for the masses.

Shell and structure wise unless you go really cheap should not be an issue.    Warrantys make a big difference unless the dealer is a total ass hat then it doesn't matter so much because no matter what the warranty they will leave you hanging.   90% of the dealers will take care of the customer the rest won't.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
I have a 1998 Grandee. A cracked light lens was the cause of the only leak I ever had (simple drain and change) and that foam has saved me hundreds of dollars per year in energy savings (multiple hundreds IMO). Mine is not an exception for our brand and others.

The idea that "ALL" will leak at some point is not true unless you mean if you filled it with water and waited until the end of mankind. There is plenty of reason to believe you can buy a well-made spa with foam and never dig into it for the 15 or more years you own it (the key being a well-made spa). If you want to go non-foam that’s fine but the whole "they'll all leak and need digging at some point" comes from salesmen.

Get whichever spa you want but do it for the reason being that you like that brand and the way its built, not because you have bought into the negative light someone has shined on another brand. Arctic and Clearwater are probably about even overall, shop both and buy based on what you like along with how you feel each dealer will treat you after the sale.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
Artic and Clearwater are decent second tier brands....Hot Spring and Jacuzzi would be first tier options you could also look into.  Sounds as if your on the right track though..you already know wet tests are key, and also "buying your dealer" is very important as well
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:58:23 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

ZZLite

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »
I did not mean to infer all tubs will leak, I meant some type of issue (pumps, jets, electronics...., and leaks as well). I am looking for ease of repair (myself) after the usual 5 yr warranty. Theoretically, higher quality components, less issues to be had as long as the spa is well maintained. I have been quoted $8150 for an Arctic Cub w/ Peak Ozone, Forever Floor, CastCore Cover and steps. Delivery and installation included to existing GFIC panel. Equivalent Clearwater slighty higher. I have been in sales all my life and I understand loyalty to the brand I represent. I am looking for unbiased info and suggestions from the field as to a rock solid, quality spa; so keeping this figure in sight, what other brands that are higher quality (1st Tier) would you all suggest I look into? Don't mean to be difficult but I just really don't know and I am looking for help. Since I'm retired with limited income I don't want to invest in a money pit, just a pleasure pit. Please advise, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

ZZLite

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »
I have a 1998 Grandee. A cracked light lens was the cause of the only leak I ever had (simple drain and change) and that foam has saved me hundreds of dollars per year in energy savings (multiple hundreds IMO). Mine is not an exception for our brand and others.

The idea that "ALL" will leak at some point is not true unless you mean if you filled it with water and waited until the end of mankind. There is plenty of reason to believe you can buy a well-made spa with foam and never dig into it for the 15 or more years you own it (the key being a well-made spa). If you want to go non-foam that’s fine but the whole "they'll all leak and need digging at some point" comes from salesmen.

Get whichever spa you want but do it for the reason being that you like that brand and the way its built, not because you have bought into the negative light someone has shined on another brand. Arctic and Clearwater are probably about even overall, shop both and buy based on what you like along with how you feel each dealer will treat you after the sale.

I did not mean to infer all tubs will leak, I meant some type of issue (pumps, jets, electronics...., and leaks as well). I am looking for ease of repair (myself) after the usual 5 yr warranty. Theoretically, higher quality components, less issues to be had as long as the spa is well maintained. I have been quoted $8150 for an Arctic Cub w/ Peak Ozone, Forever Floor, CastCore Cover and steps. Delivery and installation included to existing GFIC panel. Equivalent Clearwater slighty higher. I have been in sales all my life and I understand loyalty to the brand I represent. I am looking for unbiased info and suggestions from the field as to a rock solid, quality spa; so keeping this figure in sight, what other brands that are higher quality (1st Tier) would you all suggest I look into? Don't mean to be difficult but I just really don't know and I am looking for help. Since I'm retired with limited income I don't want to invest in a money pit, just a pleasure pit. Please advise, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:41:34 am »
No full foam on Hot Spring Limelight Collection and Hot Spot Spas.  If you are looking at Artic and Clearwater, might as well look at that Hot Spring Limelight collection.  It has FiberCor!  I'm to lazy to look up the video, but it is basically a fiber wool that is easy to remove and replace.  (An odd request, but they have it.)

Also, I know the MAXX dealer down in Tucson is pretty big too.  MAXX has weird torn up jeans that is like 4 inches thick, with a reflective space blanket barrier. 

I do not personally know the Hot Spring dealer or the MAXX dealer.  I have heard good things about the Hot Spring (gal) I believe. 

Good Dealer > Everything Else

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:47 am »
This is a private link that gives detailed info on FiberCor.
Please do not re-post it anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0H8K8dfns&feature=youtu.be
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:23 pm »

Thats cool.   Wonder what happens when it gets wet?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »

Thats cool.   Wonder what happens when it gets wet?

it absorbs water, like anything else that gets wet  8)

joking aside it obviously needs to dry out before being placed back into the spa, or replaced depending on your time-frame for the repair, similar to a tub that is spray foamed

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »
  I always like how they show you how easy it is to remove in the factory.   Instead of under a deck in the rain or snow with the wind blowing 30mph.  :D    When I went to Jacuzzi service training quite a few years ago it was the same way.  Oh you just have to do this or that to change this or that.  Takes just a few minuets and you will be on your way. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:31:13 pm »
  I always like how they show you how easy it is to remove in the factory.   Instead of under a deck in the rain or snow with the wind blowing 30mph.  :D    When I went to Jacuzzi service training quite a few years ago it was the same way.  Oh you just have to do this or that to change this or that.  Takes just a few minuets and you will be on your way.

oh of course, for anyone who doesn't spend time in the field service is as easy as 1...2...3, here all you have to do is jump in here and un-thread that moto-massage and thread a new one in...easy peasy   ...hmm ya now lift that tub on a 10ft. deck, with the tub pushed in the corner where you have to belly crawl on bar-top while the tub is filled and its raining outside and attempt to blindly change the jet...that's more realistic in my experience lol

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »

oh of course, for anyone who doesn't spend time in the field service is as easy as 1...2...3, here all you have to do is jump in here and un-thread that moto-massage and thread a new one in...easy peasy   ...hmm ya now lift that tub on a 10ft. deck, with the tub pushed in the corner where you have to belly crawl on bar-top while the tub is filled and its raining outside and attempt to blindly change the jet...that's more realistic in my experience lol

Then drop a slug,spider or snake on them    ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »
All true. And the whole time trying to keep the back of your shirt and the top of your pants together.

As to the new insulation absorbing water -I understand that it doesn't. They say that the water drops straight through, and that is supposed to make tracking down a leak easier. I have not had a leak repair with this insulation personally, so I'm only repeating what the factory has told me.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
All true. And the whole time trying to keep the back of your shirt and the top of your pants together.

As to the new insulation absorbing water -I understand that it doesn't. They say that the water drops straight through, and that is supposed to make tracking down a leak easier. I have not had a leak repair with this insulation personally, so I'm only repeating what the factory has told me.

8)

You are correct, Fiber Core does NOT absorb any water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42