What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...  (Read 18242 times)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:25 pm »
Here is a way I like to look at things to determine their effectiveness, what would you look for to indicate the clearray was not working?  Or, if you dissabled it, what undesirable outcome would occur?
Could you also answer this with regard to an ozone system?

I know that as far as the "Freshwater III" ozone system in the tubs here on my showroom floor, and the various ones I have had over the years in my own backyard, I can tell a distinct difference when the ozone system goes off line. Water clouds up almost instantly, and simply adding a tablespoon of chlorine does not clear it up, nor do I get any chlorine reading the next day. I have been around this stuff long enough to be able to smell if the water is getting ozone or not - but most of my customers tel me they cannot.

As for the tub in my customer's backyards: if the unit goes offline quickly - such as when a check valve breaks or an air line disconnects, they can tell. If it simply gets weak with age and then finally dies, they usually have increased the amount of chlorine they add over time to keep the water clear, and may not notice or even think about it until I ask them.

HTH

8)

I agree with Chas

good high output ozone + 24hr. circ pump goes along way as far as "ease of maintenance" is concerned under normal to above normal usage situations

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:25 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »

I think 90% plus of the spas out there regardless of brands would operate fine with just chlorine,shock and a PH/Alk product to keep things in check.   The other variable comes down to filtration and even that can be debatable depending on who you are talking to.    Products like ClearRay, ozone, ace, Nat2, spafrog and silk balance plus a few other things out there are meant to make things easier for the consumer, and work as "once again" a sales tool for the company to sell more spa's.   Do all of them work?  Sure they do some probably better than others also at different cost which in turn makes more money for the dealer and the manufacturer.   But in all reallity most would be just fine with a bit of shock some chlorine and PH/Alk product.

Fact is no spa is truly chemical free. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »

I think 90% plus of the spas out there regardless of brands would operate fine with just chlorine,shock and a PH/Alk product to keep things in check.   The other variable comes down to filtration and even that can be debatable depending on who you are talking to.    Products like ClearRay, ozone, ace, Nat2, spafrog and silk balance plus a few other things out there are meant to make things easier for the consumer, and work as "once again" a sales tool for the company to sell more spa's.   Do all of them work?  Sure they do some probably better than others also at different cost which in turn makes more money for the dealer and the manufacturer.   But in all reallity most would be just fine with a bit of shock some chlorine and PH/Alk product.

Fact is no spa is truly chemical free.

I agree...24hr. circulation makes a big difference as well as far as amount of chlorine used...less scum line...water always seems to look a little more clear...this all under the assumption you keep your filters clean of course  ;D which some people have a tough time wrapping their head around for whatever reason

smackman

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
I am getting a new jacuzzi with the clearray and without a circ pump.  I know this is new for jacuzzi this year, but have they explained how it works.  Does the water need to be exposed to the light for a minimum amount of time (flow rate thru the tube) to be effective? Or if moving too fast (with the jet pump) in theory all water will be returned sooner to the light tube.

I have never owned a pool or spa before so I am going to do exactly as directed by the dealer and see what I do or do not like before I go out on a limb on my own.  I have owned aquariums and backyard koi ponds for many years so I am familiar with general water chemistry and filtration.  UV "cleaners" have been used in those applications for years primarily for algae.

why would you not get a circ pump? that is a no-brainer upgrade imo

I would not own a Hot Tub without a recirculation pump; The big circulation pump on my 2010
 J 465 was a big selling point. It will move some water.

I have been told that the small circulating pump motors on the Jacuzzi 300 series go out big time. This came out of the mouth of a Jacuzzi Service Tech. He said that is his biggest issue with Jacuzzi Hot tubs. He works on all types of Hot Tubs and is a paid service rep for Jacuzzi and Hot Springs. He says both Hot Tubs are exceptionally built; Very seldom does he find a leak in the plumbing.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »
I am getting a new jacuzzi with the clearray and without a circ pump.  I know this is new for jacuzzi this year, but have they explained how it works.  Does the water need to be exposed to the light for a minimum amount of time (flow rate thru the tube) to be effective? Or if moving too fast (with the jet pump) in theory all water will be returned sooner to the light tube.

I have never owned a pool or spa before so I am going to do exactly as directed by the dealer and see what I do or do not like before I go out on a limb on my own.  I have owned aquariums and backyard koi ponds for many years so I am familiar with general water chemistry and filtration.  UV "cleaners" have been used in those applications for years primarily for algae.

I would not own a Hot Tub without a recirculation pump; The big circulation pump on my 2010

I have been told that the small circulating pump motors on the Jacuzzi 300 series go out big time. This came out of the mouth of a Jacuzzi Service Tech. He said that is his biggest issue with Jacuzzi Hot tubs. He works on all types of Hot Tubs and is a paid service rep for Jacuzzi and Hot Springs. He says both Hot Tubs are exceptionally built; Very seldom does he find a leak in the plumbing.

All the 300 series spa's now have the same circ pump that the 400 series has had for awhile. 

smackman

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »

All the 300 series spa's now have the same circ pump that the 400 series has had for awhile.

I guess the "older models" had smaller pumps and motors.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »
 Yes as old as about 4 months ago.  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42