What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...  (Read 18246 times)

smackman

Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »
I have no trouble maintaining my Hot Tub with Bromine tablets,Bromine granular shock,non chlorine oxidizer and the Chemicals needed to adjust water. I feel it is simple to keep the chemical levels right. It is just a big tub 300 -500 gallons of water.

I guess I just do not see the need for these devices. The Clear Ray uses UV meaning the bulb will go out. From my experience with UV bulbs, you might get 18 months. How much is the Bulb?

I think to much emphasis is put on these secondary sanitizers that still have to have chemicals to adjust for proper sanitation.

When my flow switch was replaced, It was clean as a pin; No corrosion no calcium deposits etc. My biggest issue with chemicals is getting the Alkalinity down.

Someone school me and show me how this is cost effective and how long it takes to get your money back. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Clear ray,salt generators etc. question...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »
its not about getting your money back...its about the marketing departments ability to use these "systems" to market their spas. When selling things its nice to have options...you may love your bromine system but guess what the lady who wants to plop down 10k on a spa who swam in a salt water pool while on vacation may think she absolutely needs that.  Clear ray, nature2, copper systems, silk balance, aquafinesse, ez spa, and on and on and on is marketing folks who realize chlorine has a bad rep among the majority of potential customers so they need a "system" which can be sold as "chlorine free" as possible in order to drive sales. Also ease of use comes into play because lets face it most people want "the easiest way possible" and instant gratification

any tub can be run with a little dichlor, some bleach, muriatic acid and baking soda for dirt dirt cheap so anything above that can technically be called excessive or "not needed"

I'm not saying the above mentioned systems are bad or junk...they all work in their own way assuming you actually follow instruction its just a different way of doing things

btw if you want help adjusting your alk/pH, post accurate readings of your water, spa size, and I'll let you know exactly what you need to do
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:00:01 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

smackman

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:26:45 pm »
its not about getting your money back...its about the marketing departments ability to use these "systems" to market their spas. When selling things its nice to have options...you may love your bromine system but guess what the lady who wants to plop down 10k on a spa who swam in a salt water pool while on vacation may think she absolutely needs that.  Clear ray, nature2, copper systems, silk balance, aquafinesse, ez spa, and on and on and on is marketing folks who realize chlorine has a bad rep among the majority of potential customers so they need a "system" which can be sold as "chlorine free" as possible in order to drive sales. Also ease of use comes into play because lets face it most people want "the easiest way possible" and instant gratification

any tub can be run with a little dichlor, some bleach, muriatic acid and baking soda for dirt dirt cheap so anything above that can technically be called excessive or "not needed"

I'm not saying the above mentioned systems are bad or junk...they all work in their own way assuming you actually follow instruction its just a different way of doing things

btw if you want help adjusting your alk/pH, post accurate readings of your water, spa size, and I'll let you know exactly what you need to do. My PH bounces High.....

Thanks; I will have to get a sample ran for accurate readings; All I have is test strips and the Alkalinty is grass green showing around 125-180 ppm but that is a guess

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »
nature 2 + ozone is the best. 

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:50 am »
nature 2 + ozone is the best.

No it is not

smackman

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:49 am »
I have been reading about the clear ray UV; It sounds really good. I have worked with UV lamps used for killing airborne bacteria and it works well. The UV Bulbs were replaced on a yearly basis and were costly. I do not know thwe price of this particular UV bulb.

How much would a retro fit kit for my 2010 J465 cost? Is it hard to install? My recirculation pump is a beast with at least 1 1/2" pvc piping.

d00nut

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:10:13 pm »
I have been reading about the clear ray UV; It sounds really good. I have worked with UV lamps used for killing airborne bacteria and it works well. The UV Bulbs were replaced on a yearly basis and were costly. I do not know thwe price of this particular UV bulb.

How much would a retro fit kit for my 2010 J465 cost? Is it hard to install? My recirculation pump is a beast with at least 1 1/2" pvc piping.

I haven't installed one on a pre-2012 J-400 series yet, but on all the others, they are really easy to install.  I know the retail price would be approximately $450.  Bulb replacements around $80.

Do you have ozone in your tub currently smackman?

smackman

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:50 am »

I haven't installed one on a pre-2012 J-400 series yet, but on all the others, they are really easy to install.  I know the retail price would be approximately $450.  Bulb replacements around $80.

Do you have ozone in your tub currently smackman?

No; I use Bromine. Bromine Tablets and Bromine granules; It works well for me and is easy. My water is crystal clear for approx 6 weeks then the oils from our bodies take over. LOL

I do find it difficult to keep the Bromine at 3 ppm. I would like to run Bromine PPM as low as possible but a little high is better than a little low IMO.

bajabill

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:48:08 am »
I am getting a new jacuzzi with the clearray and without a circ pump.  I know this is new for jacuzzi this year, but have they explained how it works.  Does the water need to be exposed to the light for a minimum amount of time (flow rate thru the tube) to be effective? Or if moving too fast (with the jet pump) in theory all water will be returned sooner to the light tube.

I have never owned a pool or spa before so I am going to do exactly as directed by the dealer and see what I do or do not like before I go out on a limb on my own.  I have owned aquariums and backyard koi ponds for many years so I am familiar with general water chemistry and filtration.  UV "cleaners" have been used in those applications for years primarily for algae.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:47 am »
I am getting a new jacuzzi with the clearray and without a circ pump.  I know this is new for jacuzzi this year, but have they explained how it works.  Does the water need to be exposed to the light for a minimum amount of time (flow rate thru the tube) to be effective? Or if moving too fast (with the jet pump) in theory all water will be returned sooner to the light tube.

I have never owned a pool or spa before so I am going to do exactly as directed by the dealer and see what I do or do not like before I go out on a limb on my own.  I have owned aquariums and backyard koi ponds for many years so I am familiar with general water chemistry and filtration.  UV "cleaners" have been used in those applications for years primarily for algae.

why would you not get a circ pump? that is a no-brainer upgrade imo

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »

why would you not get a circ pump? that is a no-brainer upgrade imo

I believe he is getting a J-235 or J-245 no circ offered.   

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

They have the plumbing adjusted to come out right through the ClearRay unit.  It's a 3/4" line that runs through it.   I have the corner of the spa opened and it comes on when the main pump is running to heat or in it's filter cycle. 

ClearRay does not actually kill bacteria but it kills 2 of the DNA components to keep bacteria from reproducing.   So far out of the spa's we have out there with it, it is working very very well.     We are not using ozone with it, but we are adding the proclear cartridge (nat 2) and replenish which is a shock,dichlor combo.   

bajabill

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »
Here is a way I like to look at things to determine their effectiveness, what would you look for to indicate the clearray was not working?  Or, if you dissabled it, what undesirable outcome would occur?

Could you also answer this with regard to an ozone system?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »
Here is a way I like to look at things to determine their effectiveness, what would you look for to indicate the clearray was not working?  Or, if you dissabled it, what undesirable outcome would occur?
Could you also answer this with regard to an ozone system?

I know that as far as the "Freshwater III" ozone system in the tubs here on my showroom floor, and the various ones I have had over the years in my own backyard, I can tell a distinct difference when the ozone system goes off line. Water clouds up almost instantly, and simply adding a tablespoon of chlorine does not clear it up, nor do I get any chlorine reading the next day. I have been around this stuff long enough to be able to smell if the water is getting ozone or not - but most of my customers tel me they cannot.

As for the tub in my customer's backyards: if the unit goes offline quickly - such as when a check valve breaks or an air line disconnects, they can tell. If it simply gets weak with age and then finally dies, they usually have increased the amount of chlorine they add over time to keep the water clear, and may not notice or even think about it until I ask them.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42