What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many amps does a Jucuzzi spa pull? What size 220 line do I need?  (Read 18237 times)

dbldee20

I am setting up a used Jacuzzi J460. How many amps does it draw?  there are 3 individual black wires coming from spa. 2 longer than the other. They appear to be 6 or 8 gauge. Can anyone tell me what gauge 220 wire i need to run from panel inside my house? I already have the outdoor GFI sub panel.

Also, I didn't take note of which wire was the ground when I disconnected it(they all look the same aside from length) Any help there?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:12:23 pm by dbldee20 »

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: How many amps does a Jucuzzi spa pull? What size 220 line do I need?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:23 pm »
 You want 220v 50 amp, size of wire much depends on the length of the run. Most will use #6 from house to GFCI then #8 from GFCI to spa.  But if you run#6 all the way you would probably be fine.   You will prolly have to trim a bit of #6 wire to fit in the terminal block on the spa.   The spa from the GFCI will only need 2 loads and a ground no neutral wire

dbldee20

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »
It's roughly 50 or 60 feet from main panel to spa. When I picked up the spa I took the GFCI box and wire between it and the spa. Just need to buy wire to run from main panel in my garage to the GFCI box.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:32:48 pm by dbldee20 »

smackman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:59 am »
I would use #6 wire; You could get guy with #8 gauge wire. The maximum current draw on a J 460 36 Amps when you are set up on the 50A configuration which is the default setting.

#8 is good for 45 amps all day long; 50 foot run is nothing; Your code probably requires #6.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:53:59 am »
I don't know what kind or type of GFCI box you have, but if it has a breaker in it, I would consider this: run a neutral wire from the house to it.

You don't need a neutral wire to run your tub. But if you have room in your GFCI box for additional breakers, you will want to have a neutral wire so you can, in fact, use that capability in the future. For example, if you have a basic sub panel to shich you can add a breaker or two, you can put in an outlet to run good things - perhaps a stereo, a small refrigerator (or towel warmer), bug zapper, some Low Voltage lighting, de-icer for the steps or pathway, hard-wire in some additional lighting. You may never use the capacity, but I assure you, if you don't allow for it, you'll want it later.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:53:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42