What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: a question about white mold  (Read 10165 times)

dstreetmom

a question about white mold
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:01 am »
Hi all -

I just read prior posts on this topic, which were most helpful.  However, I seem to have conquered white mold WITHOUT going nuclear (i.e. super shock, run jets for hours, drain, install new filters, repeat if necessary...).  I did shock the snot out of the tub, but did not drain or install new filters.  I haven't seen any evidence of white mold in about a month.  Does this mean that I've vanquished it, or is it lurking still?  Also, other than being gross, does white mold cause illness?  Lastly, does this stuff work? "Spa System Flush"

Many thanks to all of you hot tub gurus!

Nancy

P.S. Tub is a 2009 Sundance Cameo.

Hot Tub Forum

a question about white mold
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:01 am »

chem geek

Re: a question about white mold
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:56 am »
You probably got rid of it.  Chlorine will kill it, but it can hang out in pipes which is why it needs high chlorine with circulation to get rid of it.  White water (tissue) mold is a fungus.  It's not normally pathogenic so more of a nuisance than anything else.

Spa System Flush is best for getting rid of grease and biofilm.  I'm not sure if it's helpful for white water mold, but I suspect not.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »
Be sure you at least rinse the filters. As it comes loose from surfaces and plumbing, it will end up in the filters, and if it's not dead, it will begin the process again.

I tell folks to rinse the filters out for a few days after they feel they have killed it all, just to be sure.

And I would LOVE to know where it comes from: I can go a year without hearing about it, and then we will have ten customers come in the same weekend asking about it, from different parts of town.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dstreetmom

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »
Thanks for the great info -- it kinda confirms what I thought (e.g. the mold is gone!!) -- it seems to me that a clean smelling, crystal clear tub should have good water.  Nevertheless, it was time for a water change so as I write this, jets are running (no filter) w/Swirlaway, relatively new filters have been thoroughly rinsed and the "pillows" are drying in the sun.  Once the tub is drained, I'll wipe down all surfaces and start the refill.  Our tub has a wicked high bather load :).  It probably could have used a drain a few months ago. 

It is a glorious day in Fremont, CA.  Happy Sunday everyone!

Nancy

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »
Be sure you at least rinse the filters. As it comes loose from surfaces and plumbing, it will end up in the filters, and if it's not dead, it will begin the process again.

I tell folks to rinse the filters out for a few days after they feel they have killed it all, just to be sure.

And I would LOVE to know where it comes from: I can go a year without hearing about it, and then we will have ten customers come in the same weekend asking about it, from different parts of town.

8)

Would soaking the filters in a bleach water solution for  few hours be a good idea in that case?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:16 am »
Would soaking the filters in a bleach water solution for  few hours be a good idea in that case?

I think a good rinse every day for a few days is plenty: you usually add your chlorine to the filter compartment, and the action of the normal water flow in the tub will accomplish about the same thing.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42