What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Display pricing in showroom? Your thoughts..  (Read 22250 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Display pricing in showroom? Your thoughts..
« on: May 23, 2004, 11:37:56 pm »
This has been an area with differing opinions.

Should dealers display the price of the tub in the showroom? What is the benefit to doing so?

I don't do it but I would like some feedback from shoppers and dealers alike.

Thanks,

Steve

« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 11:38:19 pm by Steve »

Hot Tub Forum

Display pricing in showroom? Your thoughts..
« on: May 23, 2004, 11:37:56 pm »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Display pricing in showroom? Your thoughts..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 12:53:53 am »
Steve I would say Yes.  The first thing I want to know is whether the tub I am looking at is in my price range.

If I have no idea of the cost of a spa it gives me a benchmark to plan from.

The price does not have to be the final price as everyone likes to get a deal and the dealer has to be flexible when putting all the extras in the package.

I do not like to be oversold.  I like to do my homework before I even talk to a salesperson.  I will already know all the features a specific tub offers.

There has been a lot of posts asking for the wholesale cost of a spa.  I believe a dealer has to make a living and be in business when I need services in the future.

It is not too hard to compare dealers in my trading area and come up with a median price which is fair and equitable to both the dealer and consumer.

ps; The Beachcomber dealer I decided to go with  (Coquitlam Beachcomber) had prices and features on all his spas, which just seemed to me to be an honest way to start.  The other Beachcomber dealer did not post prices, and I could not pin him down on cost which turned me off.

Regards Zz
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 01:03:18 am by ZzTop »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 01:27:57 am »
Depends on how the dealer wants to sell. If he really WANTS to haggle with every client then I see dealers putting RETAIL prices on their spas. I personally don't like it but I also wouldn't walk away. It gives me a frame of reference for that particular line (ie. The 200 model is $800 less than the 300 model which is $800 less than the 400...). If the dealer wants to NEVER haggle, he can put the "No haggle" price on the tub. This will OFTEN backfire as the dealer has no opportunity to compete against educated competitors. I know the first thing I would do is learn that dealers "no haggle" figure and then simply quote my unit a hundred dollars lower. Tell the client that he could buy mine cheaper and it's a better brand. The client is welcome to go back to that dealer and try to get the price down, but if the "no haggle" dealer then (somehow) lowers his price, it puts additional caution into the buyers head. Rather, I would put a retail and my store price (20% discount) on the spa. This would leave me room to handle haggler's and also give me a good discount for the none hagglers (as well as the option to add some "freebees" to seal the deal for those not trying to "wear me down" on price.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 07:12:20 am »
 I like it when prices are posted on any merchandise I'm shopping for.  
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 07:50:23 am »
I guess I got use to the way it is, but I would be in favor of it if the price listed wasn't some fantasy number that you hope you could sell a spa for.  And don't have  a sale everyday.  But maybe the horse has already left the barn and closing the door won't help now, all of us consumers are telling our family and friends don't pay the list price.  

We've been making comparisions to the auto industry, but here where I live the jewelry industry are the real pirates.  They always have diamonds or gold at 70% off. I believe there is a law, not sure if it is state for federal with jewlery that you must sell the item at its non-sale price one day every so oftern (I think its 90 days). I sure feel sorry for anyone who comes in the store that day.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 08:07:12 am »
When we visited with the HS and Sundance dealers the HS had not posted prices but the Sundance dealer did. I found my discussion with the HS dealer a little les condusing because I did not have a pre-concieved notion of what the cost would be. The Sundance dealer's price came in fairly close to what his advertised price was but I did need an explanation as to the difference. Which was simply a couple of items that we wanted extra at very little cost to us.

Both sales experience were positive from my point of view.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 12:03:09 pm »
Steve-

I believe in posting prices-

The benefit in my view is that some prospects simply assume that if a price isnt posted, it must be too expensive... Kinda like the concept "If you have to ask the price, it's probably too expensive."

Cars unless used, always have a sticker, appliances too are usually priced conspiculously, and even Starbuck's has a tote board for their $3.00 coffees (See?- even they dont have any shame for what they charge for water steeped in ground up beans.)

The other benefit I can see is that having prices posted is its self-stratifying. Prospects with a buget in mind will walk right past the models outside their percieved budget needs- I think this can be a time saver as a salesperson-- Youre not wasting time pitching a prospect on a product that they cant or wont buy because of budget.

Plus, when you see them get the 'deer-in-the-headlights' look over prices-- you dont have to ask them about what they want to pay-- they will have already told you. You as a salesman can then focus on other needs, such as features, reliability, and earning customer confidence.

Starlight

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 12:10:51 pm »
I too like to see merchandise prices displayed.  Among other things, it helps me avoid stores that list prices grossly out of line with what other stores in the area post.  Depending on how much prior research I've done, it also alerts me to ask what improvements make model X worth so much more than model Y.  Sales staff knowledge can make a big impact at this point.  

Starlight

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 02:19:49 pm »
I think the posting of prices is a good...I think what some dealers fear....is both that when you post what you need to sell in this a case a spa for.....you still always get the shoppers who feel they must haggle for a better price....the funny thing is I do not think it really even matters to that type of shopper if the posted price is fair and in line with prices paid else where for the same product.....they feel that if that is what you posted there is still always room to lower.....also.....when those who come see the price and might not fully understand what the price may include....( lifter....delivery....etc....) and than another store has no prices posted but gets someone to think they are really getting a deal when they tell than this what we normally sell for but for you this specail is x....and the first dealer may not get the chance to really show why thier price is overall better......I think over all it is better to post the price....

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 02:41:30 pm »
I'm going to say I would like to see the price!  Of course, I was one of those customers who called (even before walking in the store) and asked about pricing on the models I had liked while visiting the manufacturer's websites (and I also asked what was included, i.e. lifter, chemicals, ozone, etc.).  The Sundance dealer had no prices posted.  The HotSpring dealer had some of the tubs marked.  The LA Spa dealer had the "sticker shock" prices posted.  The Jacuzzi dealer had prices posted, but considering he was desperate to sell (closed his doors a week after wet testing).  But, having called and gotten the price quote over the phone, I knew what was in my budget before I walked into the store.  That way I wasn't tempted to look at models I couldn't afford.

But that is just me!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 03:22:12 pm »
I think the posting of prices is a good...I think what some dealers fear....is both that when you post what you need to sell in this a case a spa for.....you still always get the shoppers who feel they must haggle for a better price........

That makes sense, I also think the dealer would fear that if he put a reasonable price on a tub, he has fired the first shot and if that customer shops around, all the 2nd guy has to to say is "I think I can better that" and he might do so without the original seller having a 2nd opportunity.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fritz

• I like pools
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 03:44:33 pm »
For two years I didn't post prices. Had always difficulties to calculate all the options in reasonable time. just to find the custumer trying to lower the sum, when I got to the total.  
This year I started to post prices on models shown and find it easier to talk about the realy important stuf. I will see in a year or two, what is better for me. Could be different for you, though.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 03:54:25 pm »
That is what I meant Bill..the second dealer has an advantage and what happens many times ...is that he basicaly buys the deal from the first dealer who many times helped to educate the buyer...so that the buyer has a better idea of what they are looking for ... and are focusing now more on price.....

Starlight

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
That is what I meant Bill..the second dealer has an advantage and what happens many times ...is that he basicaly buys the deal from the first dealer who many times helped to educate the buyer...so that the buyer has a better idea of what they are looking for ... and are focusing now more on price.....

I agree that this probably happens, and certainly with customers who view price as the sole input into the buying equation it will always happen.  It need not though.  The dealer I started with helped educate me about the product line and helped get a spa filled for me to wet test.  We established a relationship during this process so that when I visited another dealer in the area who had posted prices MUCH lower, I went back to the first dealer to discuss price.  I wasn't going to beat him over the head and insist that he match or beat the price; neither did I think it was reasonable for me to pay that much of a price differential for the identical item.  We worked out a price that made both of us feel good.  During this process, I did not soak up much staff time at the second dealer, nor did I try to get the dealers into a price war.  I guess my point is that if the dealer can establish some kind of relationship with the potential customer, the dealer will not necessarily lose the sale to a lower-priced dealer.

poopsy

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 05:08:37 pm »
when i see retail listed i know that thats a number used to make you feel like their other price listed is a deal..lol...sure they have to start somewhere i guess.

I WISH a dealer listed an amazing price including cover/steps/chemicals so they whole bantering over price would jyust go away.

I mean say you walk into a sundance dealer.....you want an optima..you know its about 7900-8500 depending on where in the usa you get it.... with all the options(stairs/cover/lightingZ)....so if you were a dealer y not post 7500.00 price.....no haggle.....you know its a good price and FAIR.....no questions...just wetest and if you come back in 2 weeks its still 7500.00

what i hate is these dealers who say buy today and its xxx...but next week it will bexxxx......i want to slap them silly...lol...

I really wish they would cut all the bull crap...and give you an amazing price and even tell you to please wetest others and if you like ours better please come back and of course its still 7500.00.....so off you go to hs and caldera and d1..and on and on to wet test....and they all say the same thing and give you their amazing prices....then you decide. simple huh?

Too bad its rare as hec....
Ok...sure there will be people who will pay 8200.00 in the door with no questions asked...but i feel dealers size up people and adjust prices  based on this. I know when i go in i am so familiar with prices and options by reading and visiting boards that i cut to the chase and tell them what i expect to get.In a nice way of course....but if they blow me off so be it. Believe me i have heard it all from these dealers..from i gotta eat!! As i see them order food out for lunch(instead of maybe making luch and bringing it?) to "my overhead" as i see a new hummer parked in front with the plates spaguy on it.....

No offence meant here to anyone but others have to be fed up with the treatment too...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 05:08:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42