What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Price  (Read 10104 times)

goose973

Sundance Price
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »
My wife and I live in east central PA and are looking to buy our first hot tub.  We have wet tested several brands and models.  We have narrowed it down to one of two Sundance models, the Certa and the Hamilton.  We were quoted prices for both tubs by two dealers that serve our area.  Both are for the same package, 2012 tub with ecowrap, stainless jets, cover, cover lifter, steps, delivery, and start-up chemicals (no stereo).  The Certa prices were $8300 and $7800 while the Hamilton prices are $9000 and $8700.  How do these prices compare with what others have paid?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Price
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »

goose973

Re: Sundance Price
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »
I forgot to thank any and all for the advice they can offer.  So, thanks!

goose973

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:56 am »
So, I guess I asked a taboo question. Nobody wants to talk about price it seems. Anyway, we have decided on the sundance certa after wet testing the Hamilton this weekend. Good news is that the price for the certa is now down to $7200 with one dealer. Waiting on the other to see if they want to match it. This hot tub shopping experience has exposed one thing about hot tubs, though. It's almost impossible to get a sense of what the actual tub costs the dealer. It also pays to shop around. We could have happily paid $1100 more for the exact same certa package!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
This hot tub shopping experience has exposed one thing about hot tubs, though. It's almost impossible to get a sense of what the actual tub costs the dealer.

How much does a head of lettuce cost your grocery store? What does a lap top cost Dell?

I'm imagining you're trying to compare this to cars, and "dealer invoice". News flash for ya, in regards to cars, what's shown as dealer invoice, is generally no where near what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle in the long run.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

goose973

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »
Surely true, Dr. Spa. But the last time I bought lettuce, the price was clearly stated and there was no negotiation. At least with a car, one can get a starting MSRP from where to begin negotiating and there are numerous sources to determine what a dealer actually paid for the car (edmund's, true car, kbb, etc.). Nothing like that exists in the hot tub world. That's all I'm saying.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:35:06 pm »
So, I guess I asked a taboo question. Nobody wants to talk about price it seems. Anyway, we have decided on the sundance certa after wet testing the Hamilton this weekend. Good news is that the price for the certa is now down to $7200 with one dealer. Waiting on the other to see if they want to match it. This hot tub shopping experience has exposed one thing about hot tubs, though. It's almost impossible to get a sense of what the actual tub costs the dealer. It also pays to shop around. We could have happily paid $1100 more for the exact same certa package!

Both dealers probably pay the same for their spa's, that being said there are different buying brackets with Jacuzzi and Sundance.  Much also depends on their overhead as well.   Smaller mom and pop type places can charge less than say a much larger store.    I have also seen mom and pop type place that were the only game in town and they are able to charge more for that reason.     7200.00 for the certa is a decent price.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:21 pm »
Surely true, Dr. Spa. But the last time I bought lettuce, the price was clearly stated and there was no negotiation. At least with a car, one can get a starting MSRP from where to begin negotiating and there are numerous sources to determine what a dealer actually paid for the car (edmund's, true car, kbb, etc.). Nothing like that exists in the hot tub world. That's all I'm saying.

You're not pointing out something that hasn’t been discussed here countless other times but dealers aren’t going to be telling people what they paid the manufacturer or their business overall costs, nor will anyone is most any business.

Some dealers post a price for all and hold to it (al the old Saturn car dealers). Would that make you happier and make you think you're getting a better deal? Maybe it would for some but others might be turned off by it because they want to negotiate to feel they did well on pricing. Other dealers post a higher price than the one-price-for-all dealers to allow the hagglers a chance to negotiate. In both cases the average deal is going to be the same in theory but you can't please everyone with either method. Myself, I don't mind haggling and I think in the end I know when I'm getting a good deal, typically its when I can't get the seller to budge anymore and even for the dealers who say they are firm I would try to negotiate, it never hurts as long as you are firm yet polite.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

goose973

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
Thanks for the info, folks. We've talked it over and we're going with the Certa with ecowrap, stainless jets, cover mate 2 lifter, steps, starter chemicals, test kit, and delivery/set up all for $7199. As soon as the patio is done being poured and they can get it in from the factory, we're looking forward to joining the ranks of hot tub owners.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42