What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Owner in Edmonton with electrical questions.  (Read 2849 times)

NebulaTig

New Owner in Edmonton with electrical questions.
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:00 pm »
Got the tub for a good price, Now I need to figure out where to put it and how to run power to it.
There are a couple of guys at work at are electricians and would run my wire (60 amp) but dont want to pull the permit.

I have a couple questions for those that know

1) Our city requires a Hot Tub Permit and an electrical permit. My buddy only got the electrical. What are the potential consequences of this?

2) I have about 8" of lava rock from where I'd leave the panel to my hot tub location, about 75' away. Can the wire just go under the rock in conduit or does it need to be buried, marked, etc?

3) GFCI has to be within 50' of tub. Tub is beside deck. Can I place GFCI on a post under the deck (reachable) or does it have to be in plain sight?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

New Owner in Edmonton with electrical questions.
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:00 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: New Owner in Edmonton with electrical questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »
 Many places have different codes.   Your best checking to find out what yours our in your locally.  Down here in Washington you must have a trench 16 to 18" deep with conduit ran through it to the spa.  GFCI cannot be closer than 5' to the inside of the spa and not greater than 25' and within sight. 

NebulaTig

Electrical
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »
FYI I think I found my own answers in case ayone else ever needs them.

1) As the tub is considered "portable" we don't need the permit, just electrical.
2) I am using #6 Teck cable but will still bury it 18". Same as you would for cable in conduit.
3) It should be visible to the service person and min of 10' away from the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42