What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gfci installed in breaker box?  (Read 2806 times)

pooch

Gfci installed in breaker box?
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Had my electric installed a week ago, gave the electrician the diagram from sundance. He put the gfci inside and a shut off type breaker without gfci in outside box. I thought this was supposed to be the opposite. I called him and he told me he did this because gfci switch is more expensive and being outside might shorten its life. He said non gfci outside is fine and if it goes it is much cheaper to replace.

Does it really matter if it's on the inside or on the outside? I'm assuming it must meet code since he's a licensed electrician.

It's been wired for 60amp 240v.

Hot Tub Forum

Gfci installed in breaker box?
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Gfci installed in breaker box?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »
  Well if he pulled a permit and the inspector catches it I would think he's gonna be making another trip out on his dime..
I have seen it both ways and I am sure it works but codes vary and so do inspectors much of the time.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem meeting code. The problem though is if you ever need service you'll HAVE to be home so the service guy can reset the GFCI if necessary (they tend to trip when doing repairs).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

pooch

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »
I see, thanks for the information! He's still got to come out to finish run so I'll have him reverse it.

clover

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
It could be consider as "meeting code", as the Hot Tub is GFCI protected, but it's pretty dumb to be so short sighted.  Your electrician may think he is doing you a good deed, but what are you going to do when you call for service because the breaker is tripping.  It looks like you will be taking a day off work or having someone to be home for the service man to access the breaker.

Do yourself a favor, and tell him to change it, unless he will be paying for the serviceman’s return charge if and when it does trip.  The serviceman can not access the GFCI to reset the breaker.  Require him to put the GFCI outside making it accessible
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42