What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do it yourself ozonator install?  (Read 3000 times)

pooch

Do it yourself ozonator install?
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:12:53 am »
My new 2012 optima should be delivered in a couple weeks, it comes with ClearRay but no ozonator. Can I buy the appropriate unit online and install myself or does this void my warranty? It would be nice to save some money and skip the middle man and do it myself.

Should I even bother with the ozonator or will the UV system be fine? I want to use Dichlor/MPS/Nature2 as my sanitizing routine.

I appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Do it yourself ozonator install?
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Do it yourself ozonator install?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:17 am »
My only slightly worthy advice is, get use to the tub first and see how you do with maintenance before installing the ozone.  To be honest, mine has probably not been working for years and I am not sure I am better or worse off for it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:35 am »
 If you install a after market ozonator on your spa your dealer may tell you it voided the warranty if you have a problem down the road.   Also unless you know what you are doing it is a bit of a chore getting a ozonator set up in your new spa.  It's not just a plug and play with the J1000 controller you will also have to plumb it inline before the ClearRay.   

I would just leave it be and enjoy.   We have been selling Jacuzzi spa's with the ClearRay and no ozone and they have been working fine. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:19 am »
whether or not an ozone is even worth the money depends a lot on your usage (ozone can deplete chlorine levels), so like others have said get the tub first and then determine from there...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:48 am »
While I agree with what the others have posted above about the ozone systems themselves, I will add that most dealers should be willing to install the ozone free on delivery. I am referring to labor here. Of course, some will add an ozone system free or at reduced price to seal the deal. Perhaps, if you still interested in ozone but you have finalized the purchase of the spa - you might try asking for an ozone at a discount, and see if they will install while delivering? Can't hurt to ask.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
If you install a after market ozonator on your spa your dealer may tell you it voided the warranty if you have a problem down the road.

Unless the dealer could prove that the damage was caused by the ozonator, this would be a violation of the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

pooch

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:44 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, Ill wait and see how goes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42