What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Maintenance (nature 2 / Dichlor / MPS / Ozone)  (Read 4493 times)

TLWR

Water Maintenance (nature 2 / Dichlor / MPS / Ozone)
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »
Hello, we have purchased a Caldera Kauai, it is a 3 person 230gallon tub w/ozonator and 24/7 recirc pump. It was delivered yesterday, and this is our first tub.
I balanced the water (ALK/PH) and was told to use 1 TBS of Dichlor and 1 TBS of MPS at the initial startup to both activate the nature2 mineral stick, and get the initial sanitizer/oxidizer level. The water looks and feels good. I know many despise test strips, but after using drops on a fish tank for years, I'm now a test strip guy.
I am using Nature2 test strips, MPS/ALK/PH are all on the OK range.
Only 2 of us using the tub @ 99°, about 30 minutes per night.

We were instructed to use 1 TBS of MPS after each use, and 1 TBS of dichlor weekly.
My question is this: When I add the weekly 1TBS of dichlor, can I add it along with the MPS after use, or should I add it in separately at a different time?
Ideally I add them both together after use either Friday night, or Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:33:36 pm by TLWR »

Hot Tub Forum

Water Maintenance (nature 2 / Dichlor / MPS / Ozone)
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »

chem geek

Re: Water Maintenance (nature 2 / Dichlor / MPS / Ozone)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:49 pm »
You can use them at the same time as they do not interfere with each other.

With 2 people soaking for 30 minutes, but at a somewhat lower temp (99ºF), figure this is maybe 0.8 person-hours equivalent.  If you did not have an ozonator, this would require 2.8 teaspoons of Dichlor or 4 fluid ounces of 6% bleach or 5.6 teaspoons of MPS to oxidize the bather waste.  With your ozonator, the required amount may be half as much.  1 tablespoon of MPS is 3 teaspoons so that sounds about right with the ozonator, but you'll just need to test your levels and make sure that you aren't getting too low and adjust accordingly.

TLWR

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:18 am »
great, thank you.

TLWR

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »
I have another question. I believe I read or heard somewhere that you only use MPS once per day, is that correct?

So like tonight, we may sit in the tub for a bit, go out for a few hours, and then sit in it again before bed.

Should I use MPS both times, or just once after the final soak?

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »
Well, technically according to the Nature2 Owner's Manual you are supposed to test the MPS level before your soak, add more if it's low before your soak, then add more after your soak.  However, they say that in order to be in compliance with the EPA that requires a fast-killing amount of sanitizer in the water at all times.  This can be irritating to some people so in practice what most people do, be it for MPS or for chlorine, is to start their soak with a low (but not zero) level and then add the oxidizer/sanitizer right after their soak in a large enough amount so that they get to a low, non-zero, level for the start of their next soak.

So to ensure that the level doesn't go to zero between your soaks, I'd add MPS after each soak, probably in proportion to your bather load though perhaps somewhat less after the first soak because of the shorter time to the next soak so that the level isn't too high when you start your next soak.  Try that out and let us know if that works for you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42