What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2 speed pumps  (Read 15188 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
2 speed pumps
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:57:32 pm »
Does anybody sell a spa with more than one 2-speed pump?  Maybe its an idea without merit, but our spa is a 2 pump system with pump #1 being the dual speed. We were sitting in it the other night, with pump #1 on low and the air injectors turned off.  I thought it might be nice to turn pump #2 on in a low speed as well to really gently move the water around.  

My manufacturer offers a 3 pump model as well, but even there only one dual speed pump.  Is there a reason nobody, that I know of, sells more than one dual speed pump in a tub?

(Just one of the things I have wondered about while in the spa  ;) )
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

2 speed pumps
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:57:32 pm »

rick

Re: 2 speed pumps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:40:25 pm »
My Coleman 480 has 2 dual speed pumps.  
Good solid 56frame too.  

you know, all this talk about hydrotherapy and strength of jets is all and good, but I find myself 95% percent of the time with 1 or both pumps on low setting if at all.
I can only handle so much turbulent water.  Much more relaxing with the jets on low or off.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 03:46:33 pm »
as i understand the marketing of Marquis, the models with 2 pumps (Euphoria and Reward) are both dual speed

(somebody please set me straight if my conclusion is incorrect)
e

Electro

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 07:25:12 pm »
wmccall,

Good question!     8)   8)

2-speed pumps are somewhat more expensive and the control electronics add to the costs.  They also are usually less reliable, by a small factor.  So, they add to the cost of warranties.

I suspect most manufacturers feel they have given you enough control of the water through the ability to switch diverter valves to different seats in the hot tub.  They've probably figured the additional cost to them can't be recouped in a higher spa price.

Like you, I'd gladly pay some more for multi-speed pumps at all positions.  But, it could get much more expensive depending on the specific electric motor and pump design.  If you think about it like the window lifts on most cars today, there is one at every side window position.  This costs about $250 for each window.

Would you like to see a separately variable-speed motor control at each spa position, or even for each jet?  I would, but it would be cost-prohibitive.

Consider that 100 years ago, automobiles had only one gear.  I inherited a 1965 Chevrolet that had a 2-speed automatic.  Now, we have 4 speed automatics that are common and higher speeds are available.  On high end cars, 5, 6 and 7 speeds are available.  A German car has an 8 speed automatic now.  And, Volvos and others have produced infinitely variable automatics, with high friction losses.  But the point is that technology advances and we get more features all the time.

Let's ask the manufacturers to give us more speeds and control of the water jets, at modest prices please.

Electro

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 11:19:01 pm »
My Coleman 480 has 2 dual speed pumps.  
Good solid 56frame too.  

you know, all this talk about hydrotherapy and strength of jets is all and good, but I find myself 95% percent of the time with 1 or both pumps on low setting if at all.
I can only handle so much turbulent water.  Much more relaxing with the jets on low or off.

A great point.
I find the same thing, the hydrotherapy, warm water and comfortable seating is far more important than jet therapy, which has its place but is way over hyped.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 04:26:22 am by ZzTop »

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 12:44:32 am »
Most D-1 Spas have dual 2 speed pumps.

fritz

• I like pools
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 04:08:27 pm »
Hi wmccall
Beachcomber has 2 two-speed-pumps in some pools.
I run both of them on low speed most of the time, cose I like it better soft then strong. I move from place to place and turn of the reflex-foot to have more water (not a lot more presure) on my back.
Fritz

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 12:16:57 am »
"2-speed pumps are somewhat more expensive and the control electronics add to the costs."

Actually, I've seen many manufacturers install dual speed pumps--- even when only the high speed is wired to be used... Case in point, a recent repair on a Cal Spa revealed the secondary pump was not a single speed pump-  but a two-speed identical to the primary pump. It can be assumed that it was still more cost effective to put in a two-speed pump even if it is used as single speed-- You dont have to have seperate pumps in inventory and you get better cost when you buy one model in volume.

zzaphod42

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:12:34 am »
All of Beachcomber's tubs have dual speed pumps. The 300 & 500 series have a single pump, while the 700 series has two pumps.

Joe

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 12:59:11 pm »
Marquis Models that use 2 pumps ,both are dual speed....56 frame....

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 02:56:58 pm »
There are several. I like the Marquis the best though.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 03:06:43 pm »
Thanks guys, this is something that never occured to me to look at when I was researching.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 03:06:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42