What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where to find wood for skirt rebuild??  (Read 17735 times)

pkillur

Where to find wood for skirt rebuild??
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:25 pm »
Anyone have any idea where to get some sort of material for the skirting around my tub?  My 8 year old was "helping" me trim the new spa blanket today and tipped over his step stool which broke a bunch of boards on my skirt.  they seem pretty thin - like 1/2 " tongue and groove cedar or redwood.  I've called a bunch of places with no luck.  The closest I've found so far is 1" t&G cedar.  I'm thinking of just converting to T1-11 on all sides since we're getting our house painted in a few weeks - can have a matching tub.

My questions:
1: Is finding thin T&G hard to do for a non-mfg?
2: Is T1-11 a bad choice for spa skirting?  My hot tub is wrapped in Mylar, so I don't see it as anything but a GAIN of r-rating.

Hot Tub Forum

Where to find wood for skirt rebuild??
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:25 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Where to find wood for skirt rebuild??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
1. Near impossible

2. No
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:55:12 am »
Anyone have any idea where to get some sort of material for the skirting around my tub?  My 8 year old was "helping" me trim the new spa blanket today and tipped over his step stool which broke a bunch of boards on my skirt.  they seem pretty thin - like 1/2 " tongue and groove cedar or redwood.  I've called a bunch of places with no luck.  The closest I've found so far is 1" t&G cedar.  I'm thinking of just converting to T1-11 on all sides since we're getting our house painted in a few weeks - can have a matching tub.

My questions:
1: Is finding thin T&G hard to do for a non-mfg?
2: Is T1-11 a bad choice for spa skirting?  My hot tub is wrapped in Mylar, so I don't see it as anything but a GAIN of r-rating.

We have a local sawmill (in Northern Minnesota) that will make 1/2" tounge and groove for you. Likely cost an arm and a leg. I can get you their number if you'd like. T1-11 would be a great choice.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
If you plan on painting it anyway, I would sure go for the plywood. 1/2" or thicker - be sure to caulk/seal all joints and corners.

The groove style is up to you - keep in mind that "T1-11" is a style of finish, and does not assure quality of material. I only use all wood premium grade. It is very possible to get "T1-11" in OSB, Hardboard surfaced, etc.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

pkillur

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »
If you plan on painting it anyway, I would sure go for the plywood. 1/2" or thicker - be sure to caulk/seal all joints and corners.

The groove style is up to you - keep in mind that "T1-11" is a style of finish, and does not assure quality of material. I only use all wood premium grade. It is very possible to get "T1-11" in OSB, Hardboard surfaced, etc.

HTH

8)

That's good to know - I didn't realize that it was just a style, not a type of board.  I will look for it.  I called pretty much every lumber vendor in town and no luck with the boards.  The closest was our hot tub dealer, who wanted 300 for an old panel that is a year old.  I love the guys at WindRiver, but I'm not paying 300 bucks when I can redo the whole thing myself for half the cost.

As far as caulking, my current skirt screws into the base pieces of wood.  Are you saying I could caulk around the edges after I screw it in, or that I should caulk any joints I have in the middle, or both?  My only concern with that is I probably get into the tub every 3-6 months for something or other - maybe I'll design an access panel with gaskets or something.  My tub is fairly old (7 years) so I sporradically get leaky gaskets, etc that I have to fix.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
Just keep the breeze to a minimum under the skirt - which is good advice in more ways than one, I suppose.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42