What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What about this one?  (Read 4187 times)

Barbwirenroses77

What about this one?
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:57 am »
http://www.lowes.com/pd_326877-69481-AMERICAN+270SM_4294936849+5003707__?productId=3197311&Ntt=hot+tub&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_3000%2B4000_4294936849%2B5003707__s%3FNtt%3Dhot%2Btub&facetInfo=$3000 - $4000

So I searched the forum for info about QCA spas and found mixed opinions...some say they're crap.  Some say they're a decent low end hot tub...which to be honest is what I'm looking for.  My husband is in the army and I have a constant stream of single soldiers coming through my house...I'm not looking to sink alot of money into something they could end up breaking and me being pissed about.  Lol.

I've been trying to find more information about this model without any success.  I do like the fact that Lowes offers 18month same as cash and 10% military discount though.  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

What about this one?
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: What about this one?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:34:46 pm »
I own a Marquis tub and have been very happy with the manufacturer and especially with my dealer support. That said, my friend, Rick bought a tub from Lowes probably10 years ago,( so the brands that they carry may have changed by now). In any case, Rick is still using that tub daily. He is mechanical, so the problems that he has encountered (replacing pumps etc), he was able to solve himself. If either you, you husband or any of your friends are mechanical and could repair the tub when problems arise, it might be fine. I'm not sure if you would get any support through Lowes at all. I also believe he had to pick the tub up himself and install it. Which is another whole issue. But it actually sounds like you would have enough helping hands to deal with that.  You need to remember that you will need to have the tub properly wired.

You are saying that you may have many tub users...so another thought comes to my mind..the quality of the filtration system and the ease of maintaining a heavily used tub.  There is more to the tub than just adding hot water. That may also be a consideration since a local dealer could help you assure that your tub was properly sanitized.

So these are a few thoughts that I am sharing because, like you, I didn't want the tub to become a headache for me. I wanted it to be something to enjoy with a knowledgeable person on the other end of the phone line that I could tap into when I had problems.  Maybe you might just look at local dealers and decide if you can justify the price tag of having that person who can help.
 ;) I would also bet that if you negotiated a price at a dealer, the fact that your husband is serving our country, would enter into the bargaining and you may receive a similar discount. It would be worth a try and ultimately, you wouldn't be worried about the exact thing that you are experiencing now..No information on your tub!!  Best of luck and I think you are an awesome wife for looking out for your hubby and his buddies, so at least they have a unique social spot to relax and enjoy their time off!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:48 pm »
 The one thing with getting spa like that is it's always a chance you take.  You might never have one issue with it ever.(unlikely) Or it will be nothing but a nightmare and you will wish you never bought it.  The first if it works with no problems is what most hope for and might be 1 out of 10 have no issues.   The second without anybody to service it for you can get very expensive and will put a sour taste in your mouth about ever owning another spa again.   So like Bonibelle said take a look around at whats offered in your area price them out and see if it works for you.   Many brands can come in that range of price but atleast you know you have a dealer that will take care of you if there is an issue.   Least on hopes anyway!

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »
  I do like the fact that Lowes offers 18month same as cash and 10% military discount though.  ;D

Here is another option on that same Lowe's site. These spas are rotationally molded spas that have a very good reputation for being sturdy spas that meet most anyone's budget yet are built to last.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319697-70250-LW-HYDMSTRAP_0__?productId=3353350&Ntt=hot+tub&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dhot%2Btub&facetInfo=

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:21:10 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Barbwirenroses77

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:35 pm »
We have a local dealer who carries QCA spas...but I'm guessing I'd have to buy the tub from them to get them to service it?  That being said I've looked at several dealerships and they seem to be price gouging...I found the updated version of this same tub (same brand) for 5K at a dealer.  In my mind I can't justify paying 2K over just to get it from a dealer.  I get that by buying it from a dealer I get service support but I'm not sure thats worth the extra 2K.

Maybe I just need to go back but the dealers I went to the people I talked to were very rude and condescending and I got the idea that they thought I was wasting their time.  I run into this alot because I'm in my twenties and look considerably younger and every time I go to spend a big chunk of money I get people who are rude.  I forgive them because I'm sure they think I don't have the money based on my age and am just wasting their time...but it does get old.  However once I produced the cash I have a feeling they'd change their tune...at least I'd hope so.  Come to think of it maybe I just need to walk in there with cash and show it to them up front...lol.  Maybe then they'd take me more seriously.  ::)

There are several service companies in our area that operate independently from dealers that I could call and my husband does construction for the army (he also did construction before he joined) so he's good at wiring and all that. I have no doubt he could re-wire it and change the pump if he needed to. 

So all that to say I'm not really sold on a dealership just based on the experience I've had with local ones.  My main question I guess is is the insulation in this model ok?  And are they nothing but trouble?  I don't wanna spend a ton of money but I'm not looking to buy a lemon either.

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:15:07 pm »
As a dealer myself, I am obviously a little biased.  However, I can tell you that I run into quite a few more people who regret they purchased their spa through a big box store as opposed to a dealer.  For that simple reason, I would really urge you to take a second look at a local spa dealer.  If they are a good dealer, they will be there for the long term.  The deal with hot tubs is, you are going to spend some time, and money to upkeep the unit.  Having someone to back you up and take care of you is important in the event something goes wrong. 

I always say that $100 is a lot of money.  Heck, $1,000 is a lot of money.  Make it well spent.  Especially when you could be talking $3k to 5k.  Make sure you do your due diligence, get a good hot tub, and not a money pit.  I would look at some used hot tubs before taking the plunge on something sold through Lowes, Home Depot, or Costco.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
One of the most difficult parts about buying a hot tub is that there is no consumer reports for hot tubs...lol. So you can look at reviews on here and see if you are satisfied with what you can find. I looked at the specifications on the web and I didn't find any info about the insulation in the tub..if it is full foam or not. How about the cover? How many pumps does it have? (did I miss this?) If a local dealer sells this brand, perhaps you can go look there and talk to the dealer. I am guessing that you will find a more energy efficient upgraded model there. Which brings to mind another consideration...the costs of operating the tub. If it is an energy hog, you will quickly lose any cost savings you might have on the initial purchase.

Alternately, If you feel confident that you can perform your own repairs, then pocket your cash and do like my friend did. He was horrified that I was willing to spend twice what he did to get the tub I purchased. His has worked for him for 10 years and he fixed any problems that he had.

As for the dealer taking you seriously...that makes me angry. I purposed to visit the tub dealers in my old jeans and sneakers...for that reason. You never know who you are dealing with and if they don't show respect and consideration, then I don't want to do business with them. Another reason that I will still drive to my dealer to purchase my chemicals and anything I need..they didn't ask for my tax forms when I walked in the door..lol!  Dont' ever wave cash at anyone..you quickly lose any bargaining chips that you may have.   ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42