What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My hot tub quote  (Read 20315 times)

jamesfarrell

My hot tub quote
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »
A week ago, I knew nothing about hot tubs. I have read some of the "what is the best" and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info online about reviews. Just links the make you go all over the place. Before I spend almost 10k on a hot tub, what do you think ? I was looking at Hot Springs but the woman at the store pointed us to a limelight Flair. This is a different company than Hot Springs, so I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the Limelight brand.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:29:53 pm by jamesfarrell »

Hot Tub Forum

My hot tub quote
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: My hot tub quote
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:07 pm »
Limelight and Hot Springs are 2 brands made by the same company just like Lexus and Toyota or Cadillac and Chevy so it’s not really a "different company" as you stated (or were told).

As far as the quote, its actually pretty straight forward for someone in the business so let’s break down a few things (I’ll jump around a bit).

-A cover and chem kit come with every spa, no matter the brand so they are a given. They're throwing in a mineral cartridge, fine but no big deal.
-Delivery is typically included with every dealer and crane service is always extra so that is all in line.
-Hot Springs and Limelights come with the subpanel so that saves you some money (if you get an electrical quote from someone make sure you tell them you have it so they don't add that to the quote).
-I like ozone but I'd only get it IF its a CD ozone (not UV, ask) and IF they throw in the labor on that. If installed at a later time I understand that charge but its an easy install they can do while there at delivery. They should have no problem waving most/all of that installation fee and if not I'd simply tell them to take it out and discount the 399+115=$514 (and by saying that I'm sure they'll wave part/all of that labor fee). This is an option and for $514 I'd opt out.
-A cover lifter is a must IMO and without knowing what type I can't comment on price. That’s not a cheap price but it might be one of their better lifters too.
-Steps are a must, I'm not sure what kind but probably pretty basic for $100 which is fine.
-$1200 for Ace sounds like what others pay but this is an option and you should think of it that way. Some really like it, others like myself are satisfied with just using a simple chlorine routine which is easy to learn. It’s up to you on this feature though you might be able to bargain some. Think of this as a separate item and not part of the spa price and bargain separately for it and you might get a better price. It NEVER hurts to bargain on the true add on features like this, all they can say is "no, that’s our best price" but you can also say “then I’ll skip it at that price” though they then might counter with you opting out.

If you separate the ACE and Ozone (+ its labor), that’s about $7300 before taxes which sounds pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:06:56 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jamesfarrell

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »
Thanks, I'm a noob, not sure what Ozone is, but I know what ace is. I'm assuming ozone is the technology that puts bubbles into the water to help oxygenate the water to kill stuff? Maybe I'm incorrect.

Kevin

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »
good tub + saltwater for a good price...I say go for it  :)

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:11:55 pm »
Yeah, that price seems very good, even without ACE.  A lot of dealers just like listing everything out so you do truly know what you are getting.  I do agree with spatech, make sure you are getting a good CD (Corona Discharge) Ozone, as opposed to a UV Ozone.  UV's come at the cost of replacing a bulb every year which becomes expensive.  A good CD Ozone should last you 5 years before you need to replace it.

Ozone is a powerful natural oxidizer that should reduce the need to constantly add bottled products.  It makes taking care of your spa much easier.  It also destroys odor, which is a handy little positive.

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:02 pm »
That seems kind of high priced to me, at least in my area it would be. I would think you could get a Hot Spring closer to that price, vs the Limelight. I dont sell Watkins products so I wouldn't know that for sure, but it sounds to me like that dealer could reduce that price some imo, at least from what I have experienced in my area.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

jamesfarrell

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
The problem is that in my area, 1 chain of stores has monopolized the Hot Springs Brand

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:05 pm »
Is there any other dealers at all in or near your area to compare to just to make sure you are getting a fair deal. Even if you want to buy the Limelight, this may help give you some negotiating room when you go back to the Limelight dealer.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »
The problem is that in my area, 1 chain of stores has monopolized the Hot Springs Brand

Twin sells them and says thats a good price but Waterboy sells against them and thinks you can maybe do better. What can you conclude from that? I'm not sure but why not try going to the hot springs website and use their dealer locator to see where the next closest dealer is. Chances are there is another in driving distance. Even if its too far to order from stop by and see what their price is just for peace of mind. Also, if you decide to buy you can always try to counter. Worse case they hold firm and you pay that price but know that you tried (and them holding firm will give you the feeling that you erally got their best price); best case is they come back with a better price. Don’t be hesitant to counter offer, they’re used to it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jamesfarrell

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »
I've already done that, the only places that deal with hot springs are chains in my area. Meaning 1 store, numerous locations. This store is relatively close by. So I'm also assuming that delivery would be more, the further away that I go.

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:47 pm »

Twin sells them and says thats a good price but Waterboy sells against them and thinks you can maybe do better. What can you conclude from that? I'm not sure but why not try going to the hot springs website and use their dealer locator to see where the next closest dealer is. Chances are there is another in driving distance. Even if its too far to order from stop by and see what their price is just for peace of mind. Also, if you decide to buy you can always try to counter. Worse case they hold firm and you pay that price but know that you tried (and them holding firm will give you the feeling that you erally got their best price); best case is they come back with a better price. Don’t be hesitant to counter offer, they’re used to it.

Just because I sell against them doesn't mean I don't know what they sell for here in my area. And I also know that pricing can really vary depending upon location. I was just trying to help the OP get a better deal is all. You gave him some good pointers too by trying to counter offer. I still, imo, feel that he would be overpaying for a limelight. He could get a really nice HS for that price imo.

To the OP, the only dealer in town is a Hot Spring dealer? There is no other dealer within 30 minutes to compare pricing and quality of spa? I don't ask that to say you shouldn't but the Limelight or a HS becuase they make good spas for sure. I just think that if you were able to shop and compare some, that could only help you get a better price in the long run.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
I'll stand by my statement in that its a good price for the tub + saltwater system + everything else that is included.  Pricing varies throughout the country, its a fact and their isn't much any of us can do about it besides complain. Its not like your buying an LCD TV where you can shop 15 different locations with a few clicks of the mouse.  Also as a consumer it is absolutely your right to negotiate for the best price available, heck for me personally I think the last car salesman I dealt with wanted to personally strangle me because I milked every cent I could.

and to Water Boy all I have to say is C'mon man, I don't know your background or experience in this industry but you know as well as I that your statement above is ridiculous...why don't you post your current prices for your Artic line and we'll make a few calls and I guarantee I can find someone "who's a little cheaper" as well within your state.  I assume you've been selling long enough to know that certain dealers have different margins...some companies have the ability to sell a little cheaper because spas may be a slight "back burner" item...the majority of their income might come from pool installation, fireplaces, pool tables and game room furniture, etc etc. so in theory that statement could be made about almost every single spa dealer in the country including your own...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:10:12 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:09:08 pm »
double post

Water Boy

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
I'll stand by my statement in that its a good price for the tub + saltwater system + everything else that is included.  Pricing varies throughout the country, its a fact and their isn't much any of us can do about it besides complain. Its not like your buying an LCD TV where you can shop 15 different locations with a few clicks of the mouse.  Also as a consumer it is absolutely your right to negotiate for the best price available, heck for me personally I think the last car salesman I dealt with wanted to personally strangle me because I milked every cent I could.

and to Water Boy all I have to say is C'mon man, I don't know your background or experience in this industry but you know as well as I that your statement above is ridiculous...why don't you post your current prices for your Artic line and we'll make a few calls and I guarantee I can find someone "who's a little cheaper" as well within your state.  I assume you've been selling long enough to know that certain dealers have different margins...some companies have the ability to sell a little cheaper because spas may be a slight "back burner" item...the majority of their income might come from pool installation, fireplaces, pool tables and game room furniture, etc etc. so in theory that statement could be made about almost every single spa dealer in the country including your own...

Okay, the OP asked what people thought about his quote, and I voiced my opinion on that which is exactly what he wanted in his post. And I will stand by my post that he is being overcharged for that spa imo. What is "ridiculous" about that?  But just because my signature says the brand of spas that I sell, it wipes out my opinion as negative and wrong. I feel that I did exactly what the OP asked, and told him what I thought of his quote. Maybe he is getting a great deal, but maybe he isnt. All I was trying to do was help him get a better deal, nothing less nothing more. But just because I have seen different quotes than you quote or what you have, my opinion is "ridiculous". I say C'mon man right back at ya Twin!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:23:40 pm by Water Boy »

jamesfarrell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
I tend to think the quote is a bit high myself. But I've looked at the Jacuzzi Hot Tubs, the dealer emailed me. Their shop looks like it's going to fall apart and I'm not impressed by the presentation at all. I looked at the product too, Jacuzzi and I'm not impressed. The website is terrible. I am impressed by the Hot Springs product. Also, the woman I'm dealing with, Denise stated that the Hot Springs do have a CD ozone.

I like the woman, she knows her stuff and her presentation is good. The other place I'm looking at is seasonal specialty stores. I've been in there. Seems like the Home Depot of outdoor stuff. I'd rather a small place like I'm dealing with. I can call up, instantly speak to someone that knows what their talking about. She came out to my house and advised on location as well, which I thought was cool.

But I mean if I'm getting charged an extra 2k or something I'd definitely look elsewhere.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42