What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help me pick a hot tub!!!  (Read 9007 times)

Barbwirenroses77

Help me pick a hot tub!!!
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »
Hi all,
My husband and I are wanting to buy a hot tub for our screened in porch.  I've never really even been friends with somebody who had a hot tub...so I have absolutely no clue what I'm looking for.  My husband and I both work very physically demanding jobs and the idea of soaking our sore muscles when we get off work sounds amazing.  We want a bigger tub because we do entertain alot.  Right now I'm between these two models and am leaning towards the one by Better Homes and Garden just based on the space issue...our screened in porch isn't huge.  Opinions please!  Suggestions welcome!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/lifeSmart-DLX-Series-2-Rock-Solid-Hydromaster-7-Person-Spa-with-40-Jets/17183873?findingMethod=rr

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-and-Garden-Spas-Home-and-Garden-6-Person-51-Jet-Lounger-Spa/15650480?findingMethod=rr

I've looked around on craigslist but everybody either wants more money than this or the tubs are older....and yes I realize that buying a hot tub from Walmart is a little redneck but I don't care.  They're cheap!

Hot Tub Forum

Help me pick a hot tub!!!
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Help me pick a hot tub!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »
Since you are down to these 2 I'll only comment on these 2 choices.

The first is a roto molded product (they refer to it as "eco thermo plastic", same thing) and I'd guess Freeflow or maybe Dreammaker. This is kind of a no nonsense product that can hold up pretty well and fortunately it says it that comes with a heater (some only use a heat pump). It also says its fully foamed and the cabinets are fully sealed since they are a one piece construction so it should insulate pretty well (not sure on quality of cover).

I can't tell who makes the second one and it has nothing to do with "Better homes and Garden", they're just using a similar name. That one scares me because it looks like a hundred other run of teh mill hot tubs sold on e-bay or over the internet that are of unknown origin. Also I don't trust how well it will insulate as "High density foam insulation with sub zero thermal wrap" often means a little foam dusted on the hoses and some cheap bubble wrap along the sides (even though they say “Low energy consumption” and “deluxe cover”, they always say things like that, especially the ones that aren’t).

In some ways the first one is more basic but its also more trustworthy IMO. As you can tell, of the two that first one would be my choice.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »
Hot Tubs built and sold to meet a price point. Qaulity won't be one of the stronger points of either of these.
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »
If you truly decide to buy a spa from Wal-Mart, the model won't matter much to be honest, just pick the cheapest one, buy it, and cross your fingers it lasts more than a couple years
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:15:18 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Barbwirenroses77

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
Do you have any suggestions for other places I can look.  I don't really want to sink more than 4 grand into this thing if I can help it.  I've looked at some local dealerships and even their most basic models run in the 5K range.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:44 am »
Welcome to the forum!   Before I read the rest of your replies, I will say many people go in thinking they are going to entertain several people every weekend when they get a new tub. The novelty wears off and you find some people are jealous, I would plan on possibly a smaller tub than what you are thinking, but still at least a 4 person tub as even with just two people its nice to have room.

When we bought ours almost 8 years ago it was my wife, my daughter, and I.  We bought a tub that seats 6 comfortably.  We have had 6 people in it once, 4 people maybe 3 times and now that my daughter is grown and gone, its just my wife and I 99.9% of the time.  We still use the tub 300 days a year, so the novelty hasn't worn off for us.  A smaller tub might put you in a more reliable  brand than a walmart tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »
Do you have any suggestions for other places I can look.  I don't really want to sink more than 4 grand into this thing if I can help it.  I've looked at some local dealerships and even their most basic models run in the 5K range.

By all means if you can't save up for more quality and support get a big box store tub. Soaking in hot water is awesome! But don't ever think that what you have if you buy one of these is the same as a more expensive, better quality, quiet, dependable well supported by a manufacturer and dealer that cares, hydrotherapy experience. None of us wants anyone to go without but go in with your eyes open. A good quality 5-6 person tub is going to cost 7-8 grand. An economy tub from a quality dealer will cost you 5-6 which you allready know. A cheap tub will cost you 2-4 grand but you will pay in the long run in electrical cost and service after the sale. Plus it will likely last a lot fewer years.
Retired

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »
I would seek out a reputable spa dealer in your area and deal with someone who specializes in spas. Do some reearch on the dealer and their products,Walmart buys items based on price points and usually when this is the case the quality and service goes out the window.
-SpaMan~

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   Before I read the rest of your replies, I will say many people go in thinking they are going to entertain several people every weekend when they get a new tub. The novelty wears off and you find some people are jealous, I would plan on possibly a smaller tub than what you are thinking, but still at least a 4 person tub as even with just two people its nice to have room.

When we bought ours almost 8 years ago it was my wife, my daughter, and I.  We bought a tub that seats 6 comfortably.  We have had 6 people in it once, 4 people maybe 3 times and now that my daughter is grown and gone, its just my wife and I 99.9% of the time.  We still use the tub 300 days a year, so the novelty hasn't worn off for us.  A smaller tub might put you in a more reliable  brand than a walmart tub.

If you have a HotSpring dealer near you, you might be interested in something like this http://www.hotspothottubs.com/dash It seats 6 plus you'll have a real dealer for any chemisty questions and / or warranty support.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:31 am »
The first spa looks like a Freeflow, the second not quite sure, but as spa tech said not a better homes and garden, you might check out some all your local dealers, there are several rotor old spas that are very good in the price range, such as South Pacific, and even the Strong spas, but the advantage from buying from a local dealer, is service and support as you said you know nothing about tubs, let's say you buy the Walmart special , yes will get a owners manual . How many times do most people read them? They send you the tub you get in the backyard you fill it up and all seems to be going great , then the water goes south, what do you do, call Walmart. They will tell you to call the manufacturer. You call them but they cannot see your water,,they can only go thru there troubleshooting guide, wouldn't it be nice to be able to go to your local dealer for advice they will bend over backwards for you .
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

poolpaul

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:22:30 am »
Entertaining in Hot Tubs and Spas will relax your body and make you feel free from stress, anxiety, depression.
Placing the Hot tubs in garden is better than placing at home since lack of space.
Walmart might me a redneck in considering quality of tubs.
Search for the dealers who selling best quality of Garden Hot Tubs.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:22:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42