What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In market for new tub ASAP - Sundance Hartford - Everyday 545 - Help please !  (Read 5398 times)

kcmc4

I am looking for a new tub with a budget of $6500 max (with tax, delivery, lifter, etc).  I am in Southern California.  Tub will be used by six people:  me (I am 5’1), hubby who is 6’1 and kids who are 11 yrs, and 18 yr old and also a father-in-law who is 6’2 (who has heavy set build).   Majority of the time, hubby (with bad back and knee) will be the primary user, but he refuses to wet-test, which is a challenge for me - Ugh!   

My daughter (who is 5'2) and I wet-tested the Marquis Everyday 545.  We both liked its layout; but I am on the fence since jets were not strong enough for me.  Dealer will sell me a 545 model for $5500 plus tax - not the same one that we tested, but one they have in their warehouse which the dealer said they’ve used at shows and fairgrounds and has "some scratches, no ozone, foamed plumbing and not fully foamed."  I am concerned about buying a used model which I haven't personally seen.  The $5500 plus tax for a used one also seems high to me - what do you think? 

I liked the Jacuzzi jets when I wet tested the J365, but the configuration felt cramped and I felt somewhat drowning while in the tub.  A dealer is selling this floor model with lifter at $7300 plus tax.   Months ago, I wet- tested (and loved) the J480 but that one is beyond my price range, which dealer quoted me at $12,500. 

I am going to wet test the Sundance 680 Hartford, but looking at the dimensions online, this may be a tight fit if everyone in my family is in the water.   What do you think? 

The Sundance dealer is offering a 2011 or 2012 Hartford for $5995 which includes lifter, delivery, steps, tax.   Is that a good price?

I also wet-tested the Hotspot Tempo, which was roomy, but the jets again were not powerful enough.   

What other tubs would you recommend that has a similar configuration as the 545 Everyday tub with strong jets (similar to Jacuzzi) at the price max of $6500?

Is December the best time to buy considering the year end and newer models?   

When buying a floor model, what would you recommend asking for (aside from additional discount) and things I should consider / be concerned about? 

I need to buy a tub ASAP, so I’d greatly appreciate getting your valuable feedback ASAP please.  Thanks in advance. 

Hot Tub Forum

RUBADUBDUB

I personally don't think you can go wrong with Sundance or Marquis. The Hartford is a nice spa. The price on the used Marquis seems steep to me as well. The Jets in the J365 are wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate at all buying a running floor model if they are offering a discount that is comfortable for you. Chances are the floor model isn't registered so it would still maintain a full warranty upon sale.

kcmc4

Re: In market for new tub ASAP - Sundance Hartford & Hawthorne- Help please !
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:52:36 am »
Thanks rubadubdub for feedback.   I ended up ordering a 2012 Sundance Hawthorne for a purchase price of $6360 which includes tax, steps, cover lifter, start-up chemicals, delivery and set up.  I will have to pay additional for electrician to upgrade panel (quotes are from $700 to $1000) and crane ($300).   

I have a couple more questions:

1.   The Hawthorne offers a 24 hour circulation pump for $175.  What are the pros and cons of this option?  Is it worth the $175?

2.   The dealer told me thereafter that they charge a $20 travel service fee each time they come out pursuant to the Sundance warranty.  The dealer is thirteen (13) miles away from my house.  I understand there is the rising cost of gas.  What annoys me is the fact that the dealer only disclosed this when I phoned her about another matter.   Is this the norm?   

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »
Thanks rubadubdub for feedback.   I ended up ordering a 2012 Sundance Hawthorne for a purchase price of $6360 which includes tax, steps, cover lifter, start-up chemicals, delivery and set up.  I will have to pay additional for electrician to upgrade panel (quotes are from $700 to $1000) and crane ($300).  

1.   The Hawthorne offers a 24 hour circulation pump for $175.  What are the pros and cons of this option?  Is it worth the $175?

2.   The dealer told me thereafter that they charge a $20 travel service fee each time they come out pursuant to the Sundance warranty.  The dealer is thirteen (13) miles away from my house.  I understand there is the rising cost of gas.  What annoys me is the fact that the dealer only disclosed this when I phoned her about another matter.   Is this the norm?  

1) Pros- a) Cric pumps are much quieter during filtering/heating (as opposed to the main pump coming on low speed for 6+ hrs per day), b) if you have ozone it works 24 hrs per day (vs 6+ with the main pump on) and c) its cheaper to run a circ pump 24/7 than the main pump 6+/day.
Con- the only real drawback is its now another part that can fail over time but that’s no reason to not get one IMO. I would definitely vote for it.

2) I'm not sure how many dealers charge a service trip fee and how many don't (I think the majority do but thats just a guess) but I can tell you one thing for sure, those that do typically charge more than $20 for sure. Thats pretty reasonable IMO and you're not exactly down the street. Had you come here before you bought we'd have advised you to ask up front because some don't disclose it because they know if they do people will balk.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:48:22 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
Thanks rubadubdub for feedback.   I ended up ordering a 2012 Sundance Hawthorne for a purchase price of $6360 which includes tax, steps, cover lifter, start-up chemicals, delivery and set up.  I will have to pay additional for electrician to upgrade panel (quotes are from $700 to $1000) and crane ($300).   

1.   The Hawthorne offers a 24 hour circulation pump for $175.  What are the pros and cons of this option?  Is it worth the $175?

2.   The dealer told me thereafter that they charge a $20 travel service fee each time they come out pursuant to the Sundance warranty.  The dealer is thirteen (13) miles away from my house.  I understand there is the rising cost of gas.  What annoys me is the fact that the dealer only disclosed this when I phoned her about another matter.   Is this the norm?   

1. yes, a 24hr circ pump is easily worth the $175 extra cost

2. trip charges are common, $20 is very cheap, industry "norm" from what I have seen is usually in the $35-$65 range...a good salesperson should volunteer this info. to prevent a customer from being dissatisfied when/if they call in for a warranty repair but obviously some don't volunteer this info during a presentation

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42