What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: refinished spa and need some lighting options/opinions?  (Read 4465 times)

zac851

refinished spa and need some lighting options/opinions?
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »
I picked up a used Spa off craigslist awhile back for $700 dollars.   That was wayyyy less than anything I could find at the time so I went to the guys house and checked it out. 

The spa is made by a company called Morgan Spas and the manufactured date stamped on the Motor inside the box is 1997 so its pretty old.  Its a 5-6 person tub and 79"x79" in size.  The tub itself is in very good shape, but the outside wood needed a little finishing so I sanded it and then bought some varnish and put on a few coats of varnish, and then ordered a cover for it (which cost half of what I paid for the tub  ;D).

Heres a few pics of the day i looked at it.

And heres the most recent that I took after.  Not the best pics but looks so much better in person. It fits perfectly in that little hole behind it.

Now that I finished that I want to add some lights to it since it never had lights and   I've searched everywhere on the internet but can only find 1 set of spa lights that look like they would work.  Before I purchased them I wanted to know if there were any other options. 

Theres are the ones I was looking at.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Light-Kit-for-Air-Control-Spa-Systems-P9565C213.aspx

Hot Tub Forum

refinished spa and need some lighting options/opinions?
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: refinished spa and need some lighting options/opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:20 pm »
I haven't seen much as far as after market options go...the light you have picked out is simple, cheap (kit itself & replacement bulbs), and fairly easy to install so nothing wrong with that...btw great job on the tub, there are so many deals like this to be had as long as you are willing to put in a little work

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:15:17 am »
That is a very basic light kit - I have installed a kit just like that many times on spas which had no other provision for a light.

Before you order, check to see if the Morgan control system might have a place to plug in a light - sometimes they come with a transformer and switch all built in and you only have to add the wire and light lens. Might save you a few bucks and some time on the installation.

And you can buy a LED unit which plugs into the place of the light bulb to give you color change ability, and save some power. It works by switching the light on and off in rapid succession to change colors and so forth. A nice addition.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

zac851

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:47 pm »
Yeah that was the first thing I did was called Morgan Spas.  It actually took them a bit to find any information on the tub it self (I guess because of the age) but they didnt have any kind of lights that would work with it.  I went ahead and purchased that light I posted above and will install it next week when it comes in. 

My only concern at this point is how well is the tub going to heat?  Its a 110v hot tub, and the previous owner kept it inside, but now its out in the cold weather.  Anyone think I'll have problems keeping it hot during the winter??

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »
Yeah that was the first thing I did was called Morgan Spas.  It actually took them a bit to find any information on the tub it self (I guess because of the age) but they didnt have any kind of lights that would work with it.  I went ahead and purchased that light I posted above and will install it next week when it comes in. 

My only concern at this point is how well is the tub going to heat?  Its a 110v hot tub, and the previous owner kept it inside, but now its out in the cold weather.  Anyone think I'll have problems keeping it hot during the winter??

depending the how cold the temperature is, and the length of your soaks you may experience some heat loss because you cannot run your jets and heater at the same time on a 110v spa

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42