What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie looking for general advice  (Read 2955 times)

CampinHippie

Newbie looking for general advice
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
My wife and I are considering purchasing a tub and placing it in our enclosed sun porch. The room is basically a converted garage. The ceiling is tongue-and-groove pine and the walls are not insulated but the entire room is completely enclosed.

My biggest question that I need an answer to before we do anything concerns ventilation. Since the ceiling/roof of this room is made of wood how much of an issue is ventilation going to be for me ? Will we simply be able to put a fan in the window during use of the tub or does a fan need to be on 24/7 ? I'm so new to this entire topic that I'm unsure if the cover being on the tub while it is not being used will avoid any moisture issues with the ceiling.

Thanks for any advice.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie looking for general advice
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:37:24 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Newbie looking for general advice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:41:43 am »
most indoor installations use a combination of a good quality suction fan (note: good quality suction fan, if the plan is for an under powered "fart fan" don't waste your time) and/or opening windows or doors.  You will not need to run anything 24/7 as long as the spa has a proper fitting cover, which of course it will if you purchase a new spa

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »
Fans/vents are an easy installation.  Is the floor/foundation ok to support the weight of the tub?  That would be a bigger worry for me.  And power.  Do you have sufficient power to hook it up (200amp service, open spots/breakers etc.)

CampinHippie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »
Fans/vents are an easy installation.  Is the floor/foundation ok to support the weight of the tub?  That would be a bigger worry for me.  And power.  Do you have sufficient power to hook it up (200amp service, open spots/breakers etc.)

The floor won't be a problem as it is solid concrete with a thin all-weather carpet on top. I am also only going to consider a tub that would plug into a 110 line (at least for this tub. If all goes well and I decide to dedicate some money to a brand-new quality tub I'll consider one that needs 220).

My initial concern was about the moisture/ventilation buildup in the room that could possibly damage the ceiling or any nearby door frame. From what I've read here and on other forums as long as I have a quality good fitting cover during non-use I should be okay (assuming I use an exhaust fan while opening a window during use).

coverguy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:07 pm »
You can prevent moisture from damaging your ceiling by tightly covering your hot tub with a tight-fitting hot tub cover. When in use, its but natural that the room steams up. Your wall material should be enclosed using glass, and cedar lining. Water resistant dry wall purposely made for bathroom is also a good choice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42