What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Will I save electric $$$ with a blanket under my spa cover in the NE?  (Read 3261 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Well it snowed here today in upstate NY.  Had to broom off the 3" of the white stuff before we could soak tonite.  Up until now the utility bill with the spa added was great (only had tub since July).  But the bill I got today went up quite a bit.  So before the real winter arrives I ask will adding a blanket under the spa cover really help keep electric costs down in sub-freezing temps?  If so, what blanket do you recommend and how easy is it to cut to shape of tub?  Thanks.  BTW, we have a Caldera Kauai (2/3 person spa). :-\

Hot Tub Forum

tex912

Re: Will I save electric $$$ with a blanket under my spa cover in the NE?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »
 Snow already? Argh!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:24:33 pm by tex912 »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:00 am »
Most anything you can do to conserve heat can help with your utility bill. I'm no particular fan of the bubble blankets- but I live in California.

To cut the blanket to the interior shape of you spa, I would recommend removing the spa cover and draping the blanket over the top of the shell. Most of the blankets are semi-transparent, so you could use a marker to transfer the shape on to the blanket. To cut, you would remove the blanket and place it on a piece of cardboard in an area large enough to work on it and cut along your tracing with a sharp utility knife.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:42 am »
Here's a link to a very good thermal foam blanket ... they are not created equal!

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm

I used this when my tub was new and it was very good. It lasted about 2 years and I bought another one from another source - not even close in quality. I thought I could save a little bit of money and I stopped using it after a month.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42