What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hand Me Down Hot Tub...HELP! - Finally Working!  (Read 12065 times)

mprusak

Re: Hand Me Down Hot Tub...HELP! - LEAKING :-(
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
I guarantee it...in fact probably on several occasions.

So, difficult fix?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:47 pm »
I guarantee it...in fact probably on several occasions.

So, difficult fix?

You won't scratch your head trying to figure out what to do, its fairly straight forward. The problems with this type of fix are 1) can you get at it fairly easily, 2) once you're done and you think to yourself "I hope I never have to do that again" will you then find out that another leak becomes evident. When a spa freezes there can be busted plumbing in various places. You got nothing to lose but some time, give it a shot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »
I live in paradise, where freezing is only done to little cubes we place in our drinks, but it makes sense to me that if you have found some freezing damage, there might be more. I would sure look around.

Those white pieces are manifolds, and can be ordered. They come in sections which can be glued end-to-end, and they come with caps to cap off any nipples you will not be using. They are not expensive, and if you feel comfortable with basic PVC plumbing techniques should be an easy DIY project.

The vinyl tubing should be warmed up with a heat gun before removing and reinstalling on the new nipples.

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:04:35 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mprusak

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »
I dont see any other cracks anywhere else including on the other manifolds.  The water leaked to just below the 16 jets serviced by the cracked manifold, then stopped.  There were many other jets that remained submerged in water that went to the other manifolds, so I think it might just be the one spot.  I suppose there could be some leaks further up on the jet end of some of the higher connections.

I actually cut off the hoses on the bad manifold.  I think there is enough slack on them to reattach everything.  I couldnt get them to come off.  Didnt think to heat them.

So, when I heat them and put them back on and place the clamp back on them, is that all that is needed?  No glue on these?

I ordered 3 manilfolds (6, 6, 4), an end cap and a reducer bushing to connect to the 1.5" hose.  Just use regular PVC primer and glue?

Man, I hope the weather will cooperate with me.  One semi-warm day after the parts arrive to get this all back together and try to refill.  I really dont want to put this on hold until spring.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 08:09:36 am »
I like to dip the end of the tubing into pvc primer before shoving it onto the nipple, but that doesn't always work. For example, if the tubing is stiff, you really must heat it to get it on and to get it to seal. If you don't, you will have leaks - which causes panic - but which may go away once the tub heats up and the tubing softens a bit. If you get it nice and warm and then dip it into primer it cools right off again...

So - primer any new tubing which is still soft, heat old tubing.

HTH

8)

mprusak

Re: Hand Me Down Hot Tub...HELP! - Finally working!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:49 pm »
So, finally, after trying to figure out everything from how to move this thing, electrical requirements, repairing cracked manifolds and a leaking jet...and spending way more time, and a little bit more money than expected, we finally are using our new (to us) hot tub!

Thanks to all that have provided guidance along the way.  I may not know a lot about hot tubs, but I certainly know more than I did a few months ago.

As new problems arise (I know enough to know they will), I will be back with more questions.  But for now, we are going to try to enjoy our tub.

All said and done (for now...hopefully), I think we are in it for around $2300 (tub, pad, electrical, chemicals, repairs...everything).  I know Thermospas do not have the best reputation, and I certainly would not buy one new from what I have learned.  However, it does seem to be a decent hot tub, its in really nice shape overall, and for our first hot tub and for only $2300, we are happy.

I will try to post some pictures of the finished tub up and running.

Mark.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hand Me Down Hot Tub...HELP! - Finally Working!
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »
Glad to hear from you again. I don't know that Thermospas, the spas themselves, have a terrible reputation, but I think that has to do more with their Marketing people.   I personally only have known on  TS owner and his spa is still doing well.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08:15 pm »
Yay! Welcome to Spatopia - you have earned some relaxation to say the least.

May you soak long, and prosper.

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42