What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What can I do to help condensation drain from hot tub cover? HELP!  (Read 16315 times)

CherylB

I have had my spa for a number of years now. I use it less and less over time and the lid stays down for long periods. When I lift it up, there is always a ton of water inside each half, and the water will only drain when I hold it up and stand there holding it. It's as if the plastic that surrounds the core creates a seal on the holes that are supposed to allow drainage.

This is my second cover and I'd sure like to make it last. The last one got so heavy that when I'd drop it (ie close it), it sounded like a gun going off!

I'm sure this is a common issue, but I'm new here and didn't find any threads via the search option. I would love it if you can give me some tips. Maybe inserting a screen mesh inside to create a space between the core plastic and the layer that has the drainage holes?

Thanks so much for any help or ideas.

Hot Tub Forum

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: What can I do to help condensation drain from hot tub cover? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:52 am »
I love using a spa blanket to protect your cover and prevent exactly what you are talking about. It will float on the top of your water and prevent water from collecting on the cover. Some say it is a pain to remove, but I believe it helps make your cover last longer and stops damage from off gassing.There are several on the market but having tried a few, I will say RH Tubs sells the best product. .Doc would you mind posting a link to your spa covers..Thanks  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

CherylB

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Thanks for that information. I'm confused about the end of your reply, though. Are you asking me about my hot tub cover? It's a Thermospas Concord II Deluxe, 5-person tub. It's a square cover but the inside has a a complicated "outline."

Do they make the blanket specifically for your tub?

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:40:24 am »
".Doc" is a reference to one of the veteran on the board.  Keep an eye out for his response.

CherylB

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:39 am »
Ok. Thanks for clarifying! .Doc sounds like jpg or pdf or something. I will patiently wait for Doc to show. Thanks again.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:31:36 pm »
"Doc" here......... ;D

First, the plastic surrounding the core can not plug the drain hole in the bottom of the cover. As moisture accumulates it will sag the bottom of the cover down. ans away from the plastic wrap.

One possibility that many don't realize is that the drain hole in the cover is usually in the geographical center of the cover. HOWEVER, if the spa has anything protruding inwards (inside has a a complicated "outline." ), like a filter area, that will hold the bottom of the cover up, changing the actual gravitational center of the cover. This can prevent the cover from draining properly.

A floating blanket will almost eliminate evaporating water for reaching the cover...BUT, you'll still get water in the cover from rain water seeping in through the stitching holes.

All that said, from your description, it sounds more like the plastic wrap seal around the foam has become compromised and the water is between that and the foam.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

CherylB

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »
There he is! Hi, Doc. Nice to meet you. This is a replacement cover that is only a year old. I bought one with a better r-value than the original. It has a five year warranty but both covers I've had (the original from thermospas and this one from somewhere else) always collected water. NEVER drained as designed to.

How much do those blankets cost that float on the water? I imagine if they have to cut them to fit the precise insides of the tub, it's not going to be cheap. And then the Scum Bug wouldn't be able to roam around freely.

I really don't care all that much if the water evaporates as long as it doesn't collect inside the cover. Isn't there something I can slide inside as I mentioned in the OP? (Like a delicate, thin-ish mesh screen?) Just some home-grown remedy that will act as a spacer so the water may drain out by itself? The drain holes seem to be in the low parts.

I need to go for the cheap options this year. Maybe next year I can go all-out for the blanket.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »
I'm not completely sure, but I believe Thermo Spas uses Sunstar covers. Sunstar makes a very good quality cover....especially since they copied a few things from us :-)...(no biggie, we copied a few things from them too). your replacement cover, though possibly higher insulation value, may not necessarily be of a higher overall quality.

IF, your covers have never drained properly, I have to go back to the issue of the drain hole not being in the correct geographical location. It's also possible the spa is not properly level...which would further change the geographical required location for the drain hole.

With it being 1 year old, and having a 5 year warranty, I'd consider going back to the supplier and claiming a warranty issue.

Our floating blankets come as squares in 3 sizes, you'd need to cut to fit;

6' square @ $49.95
7' square @ $59.95
8' square @ $79.95

The screen idea wont accomplish anything. As I said, the weight of the water will separate the the Vinyl from the plastic wrap, allowing the water to flow freely out. I think there's a good possibility the plastic wrap has been compromised and the water is actually between it and the foam (or the plastic may be poorly sealed around the foam allowing water to get inside)..
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:52 am »
Just some home-grown remedy that will act as a spacer so the water may drain out by itself? The drain holes seem to be in the low parts.

I need to go for the cheap options this year. Maybe next year I can go all-out for the blanket.

Do yourself a favor and close your "air venturri's" while the tub is not used and when cover is closed.  This is the most common and one of the biggest energy consumers, as ambient air is cooler than the water.  This continually introduces cooler air to a hot humid atmosphere circulating air and moisture under the "seal" of the cover allowing it to attack the integrity of the cover. 

It also cools the water and truns your heater on more often to buy back heat it disappates.

Just a suggestion, but how do you suppose that air and moisture build up inside the cover, "circulating air".  The drain hole is in the center where the plastic wrap has no hole, moisture enters elsewhere (it shouldn't, that is what the "heat seal" is for) and there is no hole or drain for it to escape.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42