What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Panel service requirement  (Read 3125 times)

malibudude

Panel service requirement
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »
Hi there,

I purchased a used hot tub (getting it Wednesday) and before I did, I spoke with an electrician to make sure my panel would accommodate it.  I have a 100amp service, 1 oven, 1 .  washer/dryer, microwave. We live in a small 1100 sf bungalow.  The hot tub requires a 50amp 3 wire service.  My tub will be 80 feet from the panel. 

The electrician I initially spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem and now isn't returning my messages. I spoke with a different electrician tonight and his initial comments were I need to upgrade to 200amp service in my home.  He's going to run the load calculations to see... if I'll be close to 80% utilization.

Anyone have experience with this?  The tub has 1 dual speed pump, 1 air blower and 1 heater ( not sure of the kw).

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Panel service requirement
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
Re: Panel service requirement
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »
I'm not an electrician, but I think it goes something like this. 100 amp service is pretty small, but it all depends on how much other stuff you have using electric and how well your box is balanced. By that, I mean that there are two 110 volt legs in your main box. Each leg can handle 50 amps in your case. 220 volt appliances are split evenly across the two legs. If your hot tub needs 50 amps, 25 amps will come from each leg. Your oven may draw 50 amp or 25 amps on each leg. If you have an electic water heater at about 60 amps, AC at 30 amps, and furnace at 40 amps, that would be 25+25+30+15+20 or 115 amps on each leg. That would be too much for 100 amp service. But you may not have all of that and all appliances don't run at the same time or at full capacity. 50 amp seems like a lot for a one pump tub and you won't likely have your oven running full blast. If you calculate the amps drawn by everything you have, it may exceed the amperage rating of your box. Your electrician should know the percentage to discount usage based on the assumption that not everything may run at once. You could also alternatively calulate the amperage of actual appliances and bulbs and determine your own likelihood of what might run at the same time. At any rate, this may give you enough knowledge to ask the electrician to explain in detail the load calculation for each leg to be sure you are comfortable that you need to increase service. If you agree that you need to increase service, it probably makes sense to go with 200 amp over 150 amp. I'm not an expert by any means and not even sure the above is acurate. Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe an electrician could jump in to advise before yours shows up. I'd probably go for the service upgrade to 200 amps.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:52:13 pm »
A 100 amp service provides 100 amps to each of the two legs.

A 50 amp spa requires a double 50 amp breaker. 50 amps from each 120v leg.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

malibudude

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:34 pm »
The panel has 40amp-oven, 30a-ac, 30a-dryer,20a-kitchen and rest are 15a for lights and outlets. Hot water tank is gas, but blower draws 6-7amps, freezer in basement, fridge/freezer main floor, microwave/convection-oven.

I've got an electrician coming next week to connect it and he'll check it out then.

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »
(deleting post I put into wrong thread)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:31:22 pm by chem geek »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42