What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie with a couple of questions  (Read 3729 times)

Odie9

Newbie with a couple of questions
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:59 pm »
My wife and I have been talking about getting a spa for a while now.  We're finally in a position to do it and I have a couple of questions.

We haven't wet tested any of them at this point but that is probably going to happen at wome point this week.  In reading through the pages and pages of posts here it seems like this is universally important.

Is having a circ pump a big benefit?  I've read that it should help to keep the tub cleaner as the ozone is being administered to the water on a regular basis.  I've also read that the tub should use less electricity due to the fact that it is a smaller draw even though it runs continuously.

I think we are going with a Caldera tub.  There is a dealer here that we are comfortable with.  I'm really on the fence between going with a lower end tub, the Palatino, or going full out and getting a Geneva.  Like I said we are going to wet test them later this week and that might make this decision easy but for right now I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money.  I've always been of the opinion to buy the best that you can afford because it's better to cry once spending the money than everytime you use the product wishing you bought something else.  Any opinions on the differences between the series of Caldera tubs would be appreciated.

I know it's hard to  compare prices from different parts of the country etc but I can't find anything on-line with even basic prices listed.  Both of the prices I received include delivery, cover, lifter, gfci box and initial chemicals.  The Palatino is around $7000 and the Geneva is $9300, both prices before tax.  Are these prices descent?  I'm not looking to beat them up and I put a lot of value in dealing with a dealership with a good service rep, which they have, I just don't want to pay too much without knowing it as well.

Thanks in advace for the advice.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie with a couple of questions
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:59 pm »

chez

Re: Newbie with a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:06:56 am »
I can't really help with your price questions as we live in the uk, but can say our tub is one of the best purchases we have made and love going in just before bed, really helps you sleep better. 

Enjoy your wet testing

Happy 'tubbing'

:)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:57 am »
Welcome to the forum.   I can't say having a circ pump is better, I don't have one, but I won't say its not.  I've not heard having a circ pump lowers cost, but many of the reported better insulated tubs have them,so perhaps that is where it comes from.  Good luck in your shopping.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »
My wife and I have been talking about getting a spa for a while now.  We're finally in a position to do it and I have a couple of questions.

We haven't wet tested any of them at this point but that is probably going to happen at wome point this week.  In reading through the pages and pages of posts here it seems like this is universally important.

Is having a circ pump a big benefit?  I've read that it should help to keep the tub cleaner as the ozone is being administered to the water on a regular basis.  I've also read that the tub should use less electricity due to the fact that it is a smaller draw even though it runs continuously.

I think we are going with a Caldera tub.  There is a dealer here that we are comfortable with.  I'm really on the fence between going with a lower end tub, the Palatino, or going full out and getting a Geneva.  Like I said we are going to wet test them later this week and that might make this decision easy but for right now I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money.  I've always been of the opinion to buy the best that you can afford because it's better to cry once spending the money than everytime you use the product wishing you bought something else.  Any opinions on the differences between the series of Caldera tubs would be appreciated.

I know it's hard to  compare prices from different parts of the country etc but I can't find anything on-line with even basic prices listed.  Both of the prices I received include delivery, cover, lifter, gfci box and initial chemicals.  The Palatino is around $7000 and the Geneva is $9300, both prices before tax.  Are these prices descent?  I'm not looking to beat them up and I put a lot of value in dealing with a dealership with a good service rep, which they have, I just don't want to pay too much without knowing it as well.

Thanks in advace for the advice.

I just posted to someone on another forum that they should get the spa they "truly" want rather than sit in it for the next decade wishing they hadn't "settled". That’s easy for me to say because its not my budget but if you can do it I think its the way to go.

I'm a fan of circ pumps because they are much quieter, cost less to run and you get ozone 24/7. But thats just one factor and the $2300 cost difference between the two you are looking at is certainly another. Hopefully that wet test will tell you that you should either splurge or that both seem fine and the savings are worth keeping, that’s why we always recommend the wet test.

I can't comment much on the pricing but you don't say what it includes. This is where you can always negotiate. You definitely want a cover lifter and you'll need steps whether you make them or get them from them. Always try to get them to include them in the package without added cost (try anyway) and always try to negotiate a better price before you simply say "yes" because all they can say is "thats teh best we can do" so it never hurts to try for that last minute better deal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Odie9

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far.

The pricing includes delivery, installation, cover, lifter, gfci box, initial chemicals and also steps, I forgot the on the original post.

To throw a wrench in the whole thing I have a bddy that knows a couple of Saratoga Spa dealers and I might be able to swing a deal there, although at first glance they don't seem to have anything directly comparable to the Geneva that isn't significantly bigger. Anyone have any opinions on Saratoga. At first impression with the research I've done they seem to be pretty good quality although not as good as the Calderas. Please correct me if I'm wrong, that's why I'm here.

Thanks in advance,

Odie9

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42