What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: General Question (Brand Spanking New to Hot Tubs)  (Read 6431 times)

Evil Scotsman

General Question (Brand Spanking New to Hot Tubs)
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:47 am »
Let me start by saying I am brand spanking new to hot tubs. My brother has one that he uses pretty much, my parents have one they probably haven't used in YEARS. My wife inherited a house that we are currently remodeling and has a good size yard, especially compared to what I have now.

So I am looking at purchasing a hot tub, (used craigslist most likely) and Don't have a bloody clue how to start. Well I guess I KIND OF do. I would like to purchase used, 4 - 5 people, 110v, (unless you guys can convince me different)(trying to keep expense down) Philadelphia/South Jersey.

I tried a hot tub recently on a micro (long weekend) vacation to Maine and fell in love! I don't want to buy new just yet, I want to make sure we will get our use out of it before taking the BIG plunge.

ANY advice, suggestions, etc WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Also setting up for it, right now have a grassy area where I want to put it and do not want to put in a cement pad just yet. I have been told a 4 x 4 frame filled with p stone would work nicely. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU

Hot Tub Forum

General Question (Brand Spanking New to Hot Tubs)
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:47 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: General Question (Brand Spanking New to Hot Tubs)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:51 am »
ANY advice, suggestions, etc WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

The #1 thing to remember when buyig a used spa is that you MUST see it filled with water, up to temperature and fully operating. If its empty and they make some statement about how "it was running great before I drained it" run away, fast.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Evil Scotsman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »
Thank You, that is one thing I did already have in mind!! Been burnt before on something else. (but I DO learn from my mistakes) :-[ BUT I hadn't thought about having it up to temp, just filled and holding water. THANKS ;D

gordborg

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
i would not go with 110v higher amperage it uses more power then 240v

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

Respectfully, that's not accurate.  Its no more or less efficient (that's determined by the insulation/construction of the tub).  It will just take longer to get up to temperature.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »

Respectfully, that's not accurate.  Its no more or less efficient (that's determined by the insulation/construction of the tub).  It will just take longer to get up to temperature.

There is no appreciable difference. The energy use is dictated mostly by 1) the insulation and 2) the heater which is resistive and therefore it uses the SAME amount of energy to raise the water temp 1º at 110v as it does 220v. It takes the 110v heater (which will be lower wattage) 4x as long to heat it but at 1/4 the power so in the end its the same energy usage by the heater either way.

There is one exception to this thinking. The only difference is if you have a spa that does NOT use a circ pump (which is on 24/7 whether at 110v or 220v) to move the water while heating. That type spa uses a 2-speed pump to move the water while the heater is on. That pump would be on 4x as long with the lower wattage 110v heater than the 220v heater and therefore use more energy in that regard.

In other words, if the spa has a circ pump you will see no difference in energy use between running 110v or 220v. If the spa does not have a circ pump there will be a difference but not major.

gordborg

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:59 am »
yes this is true ..the big factor is if you live in california ...or alaska 100v in california no problem but colder climates i would go for 240v

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:37:47 am »
yes this is true ..the big factor is if you live in california ...or alaska 100v in california no problem but colder climates i would go for 240v

If in a cold climate 220v is definitely preferable as in that case the 110v spa may have more trouble staying up to temperature while you are in it in winter time (assuming you are running the jets) since the heater is lower KW.

However, my comments were in reference to the original largely inaccurate thought that "i would not go with 110v higher amperage it uses more power then 240v". In fact on a spa with a 24 hr circ pump your energy use will be the same whether running it at 110v or 220v and close to the same on spas that use a 2 speed pump for filtering.

autoplay

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »
You might want to look "longterm" and install a 220v line. As others have mentioned,you tub will heat up alot faster,and maintain the heat easier,verses running 110v. Also,you mentioned you live in Phily/Jersey,so IMO,running 220v for heater and possible breaker tripping issues(110v tripping breakers a possibility) is a no brainer!

Lastly...... If you were to purchase a car,wouldn't it be wise to test drive the vehicle?  The same could be said of a potential spa purchase..... WET TEST!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42