What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: flying bugs!!  (Read 7408 times)

NurseN2000

flying bugs!!
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »
So I've now had my hot tub for close to 2 months, and I LOVE it!!! I have soaked almost every night, and during the first few weeks I would notice moths flying into the tub when i have the lights on at night.  While I don't enjoy sharing the tub with them, I would either scoop them out with a plastic cup or my hand, or push them toward the filter area where they would disappear and I would get them out when I clean the filters.  Not too big of a deal, certainly not going to interfere with my hot tub paradise!!!  Well, tonight I went out to soak, and for the first time I started noticing a lot of little flies landing around the rim or in my tub...yuk!!!  My boyfriend says it's the lights (which I love, and I don't want to soak in a dark tub of water).  I wondered why that has never been an issue until tonight, and my boyfriend says it's probably because the weather is starting to cool off some, but then today we had another really warm day, upper 80's again all day and into the night (maybe that is having an affect on their behavior?).  He thinks that it will probably pass as the weather starts to cool more and stay colder.  I hope he's right, but has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?  It was not just an occasional little fly, but various sizes and probably like 20+ during my half hour soak, up to 7 or so at a time.  I don't think they are drain flies, which is all that came up when I google searched, they aren't coming to standing, scummy water...my water is crystal clean and I work hard on it every day, wiping down the tub and keeping the chemicals at the recommended levels;  also, I keep my filter running close to 24 hours a day to keep the water circulating.

I'm sure it doesn't help that we have 2 dogs, and some dog poo in the yard either. Aside from poop scooping, is there anything I can do to control/decrease the amount of flies without turning the lights in the tub off?  Maybe a bug zapper, or spraying the grass with something?  Or do you think it will resolve as the weather cools off significantly over the next few weeks?  Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

Hot Tub Forum

flying bugs!!
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »

Waterbug

Re: flying bugs!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:45 pm »
  If you give us a general location, you are more apt to get advice that is appropriate to your situation.  If you use any fragerances in your tub, it will become a bug magnet.  My wife wears a cap sprayed with deet to keep bugs away from her, when she is in the tub in summer.  The bugs never seem to attack me or the tub.  My guess would be the scent of her hair spray, perfume or make-up attract bugs.  We live near on a lake in northern Michigan, so the bugs are only thirsty for blood and not water.  :)

NurseN2000

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »
Thanks Waterbug (funny that "Waterbug" would reply to a post about bugs in my water!!), I am in mid Oklahoma, and I'm guessing it's gnats by the look of them in my filter today...i couldn't see them that well in the dark without my glasses lol.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a "wait it out" for the weather to change a little bit, but we're going to put a bug light up a little bit away from the tub until it gets quite a bit colder (my boyfriend is putting it up just to make me feel better  :)).  It's still been mostly high 80's here.  I don't use any fragrances in the tub, i tried it once when I first got the tub and it made a mess of my water, wasn't at all worth it imo.  I've since drained and refilled with fresh water, which has been so much easier to keep sparkling the second time around. I suppose it could be my shampoo or hair products, but I'm not ready to give them up without a fight!

I guess I just found it odd that the bugs all seemed to raid my tub last night, when I've never seen any at all when soaking the last 7 weeks...and bugs creep me out!  Come on cold weather!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42