What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: After how long should I worry if I lose power in winter/snowy temps?  (Read 16165 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
We are enjoying our new, and first, spa every day!  The days and nights are getting cooler here in upstate NY and we recently lost power from Hurricane Irene effects for over 30 hours.  Which got me to wondering:  if I lose power in the winter here (temps from 5 degrees to 32 degrees) how long can my tub go without power before I should worry about the pipes freezing and thinking about draining the tub?  Just want to be prepared now as I won't have electric for the computer to ask that question after the electric goes out!  ???

Hot Tub Forum

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: After how long should I worry if I lose power in winter/snowy temps?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:16 am »
Good thinking ahead. I suppose the answer is going to vary somewhat based on several factors.  I have a large tub that is probably considered only average in terms of insulation. I lost power for 3 days in below freezing weather and it only dropped into the 80s from 104.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:22:57 am »
The best thing you can do with no power at your house is get some heavy blankets and put them over the equipment side of the tub and leave the water in it.

If your house has power and your tub is not running, you can buy one of the ~$30 ceramic heaters with a thermostat at your local hardware store and put that in the equipment area.  Set it on medium and you will be fine for a few weeks. 

Draining your spa is about the worst thing you can do.

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:20:00 am »
I've wondered, and asked the same exact question.  Does Sundance offer an exploded diagram of the plumbing for their tubs?  I'd be interested to figure out the weak/extreme/exposed points in the pipes.  It seems likely that the body of the tub could still be 80 degrees, and the pipe on the furthest corner could freeze.  (Just like you never worry about your water heater freezing in the winter, it the pipes leading to it...)

Anecdotally, I haven't read anyone with experience of a power outage beyond 3 days recounting their story of whether or not their tub froze on them. 

GosuPaintballer

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »

I just ordered my very first spa ever and have wondered about power going out as well, and thought to drain the spa would be the best thing.  Why do you say it's the worst thing to do?

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »
Draining it in the midst of a deep-freeze / power outage would be bad because it would be difficult to blow out the lines.  So the chances are very good water would be left in the lines/pump during freezing temps resulting in damage.  

Draining it in warm weather with power?  That's a safe way to prevent damage.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:21:54 pm by sorebikr »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:07 pm »

I just ordered my very first spa ever and have wondered about power going out as well, and thought to drain the spa would be the best thing.  Why do you say it's the worst thing to do?

Spas can be emptied for winter (called winterizing) but you have to do a VERY good job of it as you won't get all the water out of the plumbing (many will mistakenly only get out what they can see) and should use RV antifreeze for what is left. The water left in the plumbing will freeze quickly otherwise as water expands when it freezes so plumbing that is totally full of spa water will crack. You could talk to your dealer so you know how to do it properly and in that case you could empty it if power went out but that’s a chore to do properly and quickly in the dead of winter (and without power to use your shop vac to suck out the jets) so in a pinch the idea would be to keep the equipment compartment warm with a heater or trouble light.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

GosuPaintballer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »
gotcha

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »
We are enjoying our new, and first, spa every day!  The days and nights are getting cooler here in upstate NY and we recently lost power from Hurricane Irene effects for over 30 hours.  Which got me to wondering:  if I lose power in the winter here (temps from 5 degrees to 32 degrees) how long can my tub go without power before I should worry about the pipes freezing and thinking about draining the tub?  Just want to be prepared now as I won't have electric for the computer to ask that question after the electric goes out!  ???

This answer isn't so direct.  It depends on what TYPE of tub you own.  Full Foam tubs will (of course) retain heat MUCH better than thermo pane-styled tubs.  Some foam filled tubs have more insulation that do others.  My 2003 Jacuzzi 470 has gone 5 days and only lost about 10-15 degrees (was around 87 when I checked it).  However, a neighbors "ThermoSpa" dropped 35 degrees in that same period.  I live in North Carolina so the weather here isn't THAT extreme and this was probably with temps between the mid 30's to mid 40's at that time.  If you live in a significantly colder area (northeast) then you probably want to check on a powerless tub after a couple of days to see how it does.

Never...ever DRAIN a tub in the middle of winter.  The ONLY thing you will do is jeopardize your tub because you WILL leave 'some" water in the lines and that can easily freeze and expand on you.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42