What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bonding?  (Read 2273 times)

sorebikr

Bonding?
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »
This is cross-posted from a DIY forum.  I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere.

I have what I imagine is a very basic question, but I haven't been able to find reliable information & instruction.

Installing a hottub, and have completed the wiring. 50a breaker in the main panel. 4 THHN 6awg wires (3+Ground) running to this GFCI load center. Wires are run in RNM conduit. Run continues to the hot tub (2+Ground for this particular tub) in RMC up to the skirt, then liquatite (< 5') into the tub. I don't think I make any mistakes there.

I know the tub also needs to be bonded and this is where I would really appreciate some direction. I've read I might need 8awg bare copper...and that's all the detail I've found. Could someone please spell out for me exactly what I'm supposed to do to make sure this is properly bonded?

The tub is outside, on a 4" concrete slab. Its set into a wooden deck. There are no metal anything within 10+ feet of the tub.

I can/will ask the inspector (yes, this will be inspected) and I'm sure he'll tell me what he's looking for. But I'd like to keep things moving and have it right before he shows up.

Thank you in advance. Happy to provide more info or pictures if that will help.

Hot Tub Forum

Bonding?
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Bonding?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:24 pm »
Bonding is done with a bare copper wire (8awg). It's a wire that runs between all metal parts and objects within 5' of the tub. Everything in the spa should already be bonded, you say you have nothing metal within 10' of the tub, you have a non-conductive surface around the spa (wooden deck), so you should be good to go.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
  Would agree good to go!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42