What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pre-Filter for Hose That Can Remove Iron  (Read 13718 times)

hotubhotub

Pre-Filter for Hose That Can Remove Iron
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:53 am »
We finally got our new spa installed Friday. We got the electrical done on Sunday and we filled it to test it out. The problem we have is that our well water is loaded with iron (like 3ppm according to our tub water analysis). In any case we we’re finally able to strip out the metals with a remover but the process was a pain and it stained our filters (which we’ve since cleaned). In any case, we don’t have any options other than filling from the well. The water delivery service in our area only does big tankers full typically more for pools. We could pay for the entire load but it’s a waste of money for 365 gallons.
For future refills I want to use a quality pre-filter that attaches to end of a garden hose. I’ve been looking around and I’ve come across quite a few in all kinds of price ranges. I’ve heard that the ones that use “green sand” work best for iron (Metaltrap is one). What about the carbon ones?

Hot Tub Forum

Pre-Filter for Hose That Can Remove Iron
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:53 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Pre-Filter for Hose That Can Remove Iron
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:03 pm »
I've used the larger metal trap setup to fill a couple pools in the past with good success...If your plan is to buy one of the 100 different $15-$20 filters that are available I'll just tell you to save your money and duct tape a standard white sock to the end of the hose, you will receive similar performance

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »
We finally got our new spa installed Friday. We got the electrical done on Sunday and we filled it to test it out. The problem we have is that our well water is loaded with iron (like 3ppm according to our tub water analysis). In any case we we’re finally able to strip out the metals with a remover but the process was a pain and it stained our filters (which we’ve since cleaned). In any case, we don’t have any options other than filling from the well. The water delivery service in our area only does big tankers full typically more for pools. We could pay for the entire load but it’s a waste of money for 365 gallons.
For future refills I want to use a quality pre-filter that attaches to end of a garden hose. I’ve been looking around and I’ve come across quite a few in all kinds of price ranges. I’ve heard that the ones that use “green sand” work best for iron (Metaltrap is one). What about the carbon ones?

I have 3 customers timed to all change at the same time from a tanker instead of super hard well water. They share the cost then and it's affordable. You have any neighbors with tubs?
Retired

hotubhotub

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:39:01 am »
I'll stick with the higher end metal trap or similar filter. The point is to use something that actually works.
Sharing a water delivery, while a good idea, isn't really an option for us.

woodchopper

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:55:43 am »
I've used the larger metal trap setup to fill a couple pools in the past with good success...If your plan is to buy one of the 100 different $15-$20 filters that are available I'll just tell you to save your money and duct tape a standard white sock to the end of the hose, you will receive similar performance
Great idea. Thanks for sharing !!

hotubhotub

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »
In combing through my Hot Springs owner’s manual I discovered that they recommend using a pre-filter, especially with wells (unfortunately nobody at the dealer ever mentioned this). They are pushing the Watkins FreshStart filter which isn’t surprising but given the quality of the tub, I am going to assume that it does what it’s supposed to. For future fills I will be sure to have one.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:33:59 am »
For iron, I would pay a bit more and get the unit available from any HotSpring dealer -

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:33:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42