What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Outdoor Wiring Question  (Read 3438 times)

desant89

Outdoor Wiring Question
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »
I ordered a Sundance Optima which should be he this coming Monday or Tuesday.  I cannot wait to get it, so I am out there getting the wiring done.  I pretty much know the requirements, and the codes for my area.

I am using #6 wire, all 4.  Then I understand for this spa I will have only 3 of them going to the spa (no white).  I ran it all in 1" grey PVC along my outside wall.  The question I have is regarding the GFCI box.  I know it needs to be at least 5' away from the spa, and within site, but is there a height requirement off of the ground?  Is it a minimum of 18" or something?

I only ask as it will be in my back yard, and if I go up on the siding, it may be an eyesore.  If go below the siding on the foundation,  I may only be a foot off the ground.  Just trying to see if anyone knows what the general rule is for that.  Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Outdoor Wiring Question
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

Waterbug

Re: Outdoor Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »
Where are you located ?  What is your normal accumulated snow depth ?  I don't understand your comment about not attaching the white/nutral wire.  You need to consult a licensed electrician, in your area, regarding the proper wiring.

desant89

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:00 pm »
Well I have done many electrical runs including pools, but this appears to be a little bit different. I am told it is 4 wires going to the GFCI, and then 3 to the spa.  I have the documentation for this, and it is clear.  I just wanted to find out if there was a minimum height requirement for the GFCI box as I am unable to find that information.  I am in NJ.

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:09:54 am »
Desante - If you do happen to discover the answer elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you cross-posted it here as well.  I think the consideration about your snowline is a good one.  There's a discussion here that doesn't necessarily answer the question, but it full of good advice. 

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg0723312829341.html

My $0.02 - You don't want the panel to be buried under snow regardless of what the code says. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:17 am »
You might want to call your local building department and ask them. This is one of those thing that different municipalities may very likely have different requirements for (just because it's in the NEC, doesn't mean a municipality has to adopt it).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:16:38 am by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24:53 am »
oops......a quick google search.....there's a maximum height, but no minimum height (except for mobile homes).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

desant89

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:58:32 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I will go to my local township office, and ask the building inspector most likely tomorrow.  I will post what they say.  I have to agree with all of you about the snow though.  Even if it was 8 or 12", I still think it should be 18+.  Thanks again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:58:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42