What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winter vs. Summer switch on panel  (Read 4237 times)

Mr.Lucky

Winter vs. Summer switch on panel
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »
Hello all,

I bought a used hot tub that didn't come with any manuals.  All companies that are somewhere on the hot tub are out of business.  There is a switch, the one the green arrow points to in the pictures below, which puts it in Winter or Summer mode.  When in Winter mode, the pump and heater only turn on when the temperature drops below the selected set point.  When in Summer mode, the pump stays on continually, and the heater only turns on when the temperature drops below the set point.  I would think that this is backwards, that you would rather have the water recirculating all the time in the winter but not needed to in the summer.  I have Googled for this, but have come up empty.  Do you all have any idea if this switch is functioning correctly?  If it is functioning correctly, why would you want the pump to run continuously in the summer but not in the winter?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:16:54 pm by Mr.Lucky »

Hot Tub Forum

Winter vs. Summer switch on panel
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
Re: Winter vs. Summer switch on panel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:51:07 pm »
I say the circulation pump should be running continuously in the winter.  Mine runs 24/7/365.

Mr.Lucky

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
Thank you for your feedback.  That sure makes sense, I am guessing something is backwards since it would seem having the pump run 24/7 would be crucial for the cold winters here.  I guess I will just unmount, rotate the switch 180 degrees and remount.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
Waters Edge Spas never had any official owners manuals. They would give the customers sheets from each component manufacturer.

Rather than trying to unmount the switch, you should be able to simply switch around the two outside wires on the switch (the N/O and N/C wires).

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:07:31 am »
Rather than trying to unmount the switch, you should be able to simply switch around the two outside wires on the switch (the N/O and N/C wires).

Might I suggest an easier solution?  Masking tape + Sharpie.  Problem solved. 

ChaiSTi

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »
On Gecko/Spa Builder control systems, the summer mode would turn on the pump periodically to flush the water through the heater.  The reasoning behind this was that spas is extremely warm climate may inadvertently trigger the hi-limit sensor.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42