What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wavemaster 7000 - pesky leak!  (Read 5327 times)

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
Wavemaster 7000 - pesky leak!
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »
Just when I thought I was done fixing the leaks I find this leak and I can't figure out how to stop it.  From what I can see it's happening at the shaft seal.  Both seal parts are brand new.  The piece that inserts into the back of the wet end (attaches to the motor) was caulked in with silicone, just like the original.  The other piece is just inserted into the impeller.

After replacing all the O-rings and seals, I assembled the pump and bench tested it by filling up the wet end.  There was no leakage at the suction cover but there was a steady drip from the back, where the motor attaches to the wet end.

I took it apart and applied silicone grease to the shaft seals and tested it again.  No change. 

One thing in the back of my mind is I took apart the motor on that pump to make sure the bearings were good.  They were and I put it back together.  But when I did, I couldn't get the capacitor housing to line up dead center on top like it is for the other pump.  It's off maybe two degrees or so.  The rotor spins freely.  The motor housing seats flush with the mounting end.  So I doubt the shaft is misaligned.  And I can't see how the housing rotation can affect the alignment so long as everything seats flush.  The impeller tolerances against the back of the wet end are consistent and the impeller spins freely once everything is assembled.

I'm thinking the new shaft seal pieces might not be pressing tightly enough against each other or there is some seating flaw I can't see with the naked eye (or with magnifying glasses either.)

Should the motor shaft be greased?  Should the shaft seals be greased?  Is there anything I may have missed?  I did everything the same to the other pump except dismantle the motor and that pump is leak free.

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Wavemaster 7000 - pesky leak!
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Wavemaster 7000 - pesky leak!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »
I'd look for a crack in the housing where the shaft seal seats.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »
I just checked that pretty thoroughly but couldn't see any hairline cracks.  I wet tested it again and it looks like the water is leaking out where the motor shaft enters the wet end, through the shaft opening in the seal.  There was evidence of moisture on the motor side of the seal at the shaft.  I even tried applying more silicone grease.  No change.  ???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »
Check for cracked impellor - the shaft part specifically. And no, you should never put lube on the surfaces of the seal. Makes 'em leak.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:15 pm »
That's good to know.  I'll stop trying that.

But I may have found the problem.  The shaft seal part that inserts into the seal plate has a plastic part that comes in contact with the other shaft seal.  Inside the plate seal the underside of the ring had a piece chipped off.  It didn't affect the contact side but it may be the cause of the leak.  When that part is compressed, that plastic ring pushes into a rubber shaft.  It's not a snug fit but maybe in the compressed position that chip may be large enough to allow water to leak through.

I ordered a new shaft seal kit.  Let's see how that goes.  But each time I have to order another part, it's another week wait........

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42