What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flashing Temp on Caldera Geneva....Help  (Read 26531 times)

mhraracing

Flashing Temp on Caldera Geneva....Help
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »
Hi all - I opened my 04 Caldera Geneva today and noticed that the temp was down to 95 degrees and the temp light was flashing....then I noticed that my circ pump wasnt running.

I took the cover off and looked at everthing - nothing seems burnt, wiring looks all good.....and Power is getting to the pump....but its not runing and was really hot - when I throw the breakers and turn them back on the pump clicks like it wants to run, but nothing.

So - do you think the pump is shot ? Its the blue one and I see they dont make it anymore - whats the relacment ?

If the circ pump stop working a few days ago....if there was not water circulating...would that burn up my heater as well ???

Also - any recomendation on where to buy the parts I may need ?

Its an 04 so I am out of warranty - I am very handy so I am I sure I can handle the repair - but I am looking for advice on how to check out what could be bad and needs to be replaced...I just dont want to be a parts changer and replace parts that are still good.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:30:07 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Flashing Temp on Caldera Geneva....Help
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »

d00nut

Re: Flashing Temp on Caldera Geneva....Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:43 am »
Seems trivial... but check your filter.  Clogged Filter= No flow for your circ pump.  No flow for your circ pump means your heater won't turn on.

9 times out of 10, when a customer tells me they have lost heat due to no flow, it's the filter.  Try that first, if it's not that, it could be your circ-pump which is really easy to replace.  Also, don't worry about your heater.  I'm sure it is perfectly fine.   :D

mhraracing

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »
Ok...so I took my circ pump off and took it apart.....didnt find anything wrong with it .... so I just cleaned it up and put it back together.

I hooked it up and its working again... ::) - I guess I will just leave the side covers off and see if the pump works all day ?

May just order a new one anyway ....just to have in case this one craps out again.....any good places on-line to order from ??
Caldera Geneva Utopia

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:13 am »
Here's a link to a site.....  http://www.spapartsdepot.com/product/72204/CalderaWatkins-Recirc-Pump-SB-909-115V-1in-NO-LONGER-AVAILABLE---72204.html

You'll see it's no longer available,the OEM version.  Looks like they have a pump that will retro-fit,with the added purchase of a plumbing kit.

I have a 2003 Caldera Geneva Utopia,and I as of yet,have had to replace the circ pump.   

I would suggest looking at your heater relay board,and look for arced wires and/or arced relay/s.  That's a common problem with the stock equip,and they have since,upgraded their board.

As the other poster mentioned,air-lock is a common problem,esp after refilling,along with a dirty filter,which I know first hand,will cause the circ idiot light,to flash on and off.

If anymore questions,don't hesitate to ask. I can tell ya what stuff I've had to do with mine,in the 9 years of ownership.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:25 am »
Not only would I check the filter as mentioned earlier but if by chance that’s the original filter on an '03 then it should fault out be replaced. I have seen a filter that still looked "ok" be the fault of a flow issue. You can't always tell by looking how much flow is getting through a filter, at some point age should dictate replacement.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mhraracing

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies, so after letting it run all night and day - I came home from work today and the pump is not working again.......I will take the filter out and flip the breakers back on and see if that does anything.....If not - I will order a pump tonight. Thanks
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:32 pm »
Its definitely not the filter - tried running it without the filter ... nothing. Ordered a new pump and retro kit from Spa Depot. Thanks
Caldera Geneva Utopia

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
Its definitely not the filter - tried running it without the filter ... nothing. Ordered a new pump and retro kit from Spa Depot. Thanks

I just replaced 2 pumps in the last 5 or so months. Mine was under warranty, same issues as you. The first pump they replaced it with the same old blue pump, I ask the tech and if said it was new left over it lasted a couple of months and went out, then it was replaced with the new style, so far so good. It seems alot less quieter but it could just have been the bad pumps. Good Luck!

mhraracing

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »
Thanks - Just tracked my shipment and its expected to be delivered tomorrow....depending on what time I get home, I may put it in tomorrow.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »
Hi - I received the pump today, but no installation instructions were included...does anyone have installation instructions for this pump.....it would be nice to at least see a finished picture of it, as the retro kit has a few connectors and hoses and I want to make sure I do this properly the first time.... ::)
Caldera Geneva Utopia

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:18:34 pm »
I watched the tech do mine on my moorea, he didn't use the retro kit, he just swapped it out for the blue pump with no problems?

mhraracing

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:04 pm »
Ok...thanks for the heads up....I will check it out tomorrow should get home earlier before dark.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:48 pm »
Just got in from installing the pump.....not as easy as a straight swap, but I knew that going in. Good thing I bought the retro kit as I needed all the parts.

Installing everything and making it just right took 2 1/2 hours, but once it was done - it appears everything is working well.......I will let it go overnight and check it in the morning.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »
New pump is working well and 'pumping' water !!! It definitely flows more GPM then the old blue pump did...lets hope it lasts just as long as the original pump or longer as this pump is easily half the size.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42