What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What additive really keeps the scum line away?  (Read 11389 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What additive really keeps the scum line away?
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:47 am »
So how do I get the brown, greasy, sticky DISGUSTING scum line off the tub, and what can you add to your water on a regular basis to keep the scum line away?  What product really works?  There must be something, right? My tub uses the spa frog and an ozonator, with only two people using it. Oh, and if anyone has any ideas for getting rid of the green tint to the water please let me know that also.  The pH, bromine, hardness are all within range now, and the water is crystal clear, just with a green tint to it.   ???  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

What additive really keeps the scum line away?
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:47 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: What additive really keeps the scum line away?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
If this is happening some time after changing the water, the cause is most likely personal hygiene products on your body being rinsed off into the spa. Make-up, moisturizing creams, deodorant, hair gel and conditioner etc.How to get rid of it, is to not introduce it into the spa to begin with.

"The pH, bromine, hardness are all within range". "Within range" is not a test result any of us are able analyze.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »
green tint is a sign that your water is not properly sanitized

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »
OK. to clarify our pH is 7.2, hardness is 150, alkalinity is 157 and bromine is 3.4. Tub was filled five days ago with well water which was run through a pre-filter.  We have a little iron in our water, although it does not register on 4 water tests I've had done at the dealer.  NO ONE has been in the tub yet so no soap, deoderant, shampoo residues yet.  Plan our first soak tonight.  Just looked and water is now a light aqua blue tint but still clear.  Bot hubby just cleaned off the scum line again as we have since the day after we filled the spa.  I can wipe it down 3 times a day and it keeps coming back.  And you need to put a little effort into rubbing it off.  So what have all you used to keep the scum line at bay?  Scum Begone? Something else?  There must be something I can add to the water on a weekly basis to eradicate the scum line???

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
 You could try a enzyme product once a week might work, usually in a new water change and assuming it's not from you, it's just crap coming out of the water.  Have you been using any kind of bright n clear type product?   
 The green most times will show up from adding sanitizer to a newly filled spa if you haven't used any kind of metal gone product.   I have people here run metal gone for at least 24 hrs after a refill from a well before adding any sanitizer what so ever.   The green tint will go away after awhile, you might try shocking it then add  bright n clear (clarifier) to the spa if you haven't used any yet? 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:03:50 am »
The green is copper, magnesium or some other dissolved metal in the water that the bromine is oxidizing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
Look also at the ends of your filters. If they are coming apart they can give off a blue/green scum line in an unused tub.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »
Try SeaKlear clarifier.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42