What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Possible leak in spa  (Read 4371 times)

chriskthx

Possible leak in spa
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:29:39 pm »
I just moved into a new home with an inground spa. It has been losing water when I fill it to full capacity. When I let it "leak" all the water it can, it usually stops around the upper part of a jet (see picture). This leads me to believe it is not the jets. I turned all the pumps off and it still loses water (~1"/day) to the point shown. This leads me to believe it's not the plumbing system, per say. I placed a bucket of water out there also (I live in FL) and the spa loses water quicker than the bucket of water evaporates. Can anyone please give me some advice?

Image link: http://i.imgur.com/9MRHe.jpg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:15:37 pm by chriskthx »

Hot Tub Forum

Possible leak in spa
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:29:39 pm »

ChaiSTi

Re: Possible leak in spa
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:00:29 pm »
The advice is to let it drop till it stop.  Then investigate the jets around the water line.  Since you've already done that, the next step is the check the plumbing behind that fitting or any other around the water line.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »
You will save time and money in the long run if you engage the services of a leak detection company. Look for one close to your home, check references and so forth.

They will come out equipped to plug off all the jets and return fittings and then pressure test the plumbing. It is likely, given the limited info we have, that the leak is in the plumbing. If so, when they put the pressure on the plumbing it will not hold. At that time they listen for the rush of escaping air to help pinpoint the leak.

Next is repair - Some companies can repair the pipe in the ground by cool high-tech methods involving coating and heating the leaking area. It costs to do all this - but the option is to jackhammer the deck or in some other way expose the pipe for a traditional repair.

HTH
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

clover

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:42:58 pm »
The level at which the water stops leaking is the LEVEL of the Leak within.

There are different types of plumbing leaks; one is on the pressure side of the pump that delivers water to the jets.  This leak becomes more obvious and more aggressive while the pump is under pressure.

A leak on the suction side of the pump will not necessarily leak while the pump is running.  The path of least resistance is to have the water drawn through the pump system.  However, when the pump is off, the leak will be present.

The water STOPS leaking at the level of the leak, which is only a clue.

Then there are the venturri air lines that deliver air to the jets and the blower delivers air bubbles to the air injectors.  Air lines will leak when the jets are stopped or the blower is off.

How does and air line develop a leak.  Could be water filled and then frozen, or it could be Critters and/or Ants. 

I was called in after 2 others failed.  The spa was infested with black ants (carpenters).  The problem was discovered to be a venturri line that had been "chewed" open to provide water to the foam which now became the "nursery".  The leak was discovered within a bundle of air lines, not the pump plumbing.  It was not an easy job.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

ChaiSTi

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:56 pm »
If it's a pressure leak, give Fix-A-Leak a try.  The reviews on it is positive.

clover

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:33 pm »
If it's a pressure leak, give Fix-A-Leak a try.  The reviews on it is positive.
Theory is, anyplace the water goes, fix a leak goes too and presumably "swells up" sealing the leak.  So goes the theory.  I have never witnessed it to successfully seal a leak. 

My suggestion is to fix it right, fix it once.  However, you can try, especially if it is recessed into a deck and there is no access.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:00 am »
This leads me to believe it is not the jets.

Perhaps not, but the jet bodies feel a bit of torque when the pumps are running and goes away when they stop. Over time that can cause hairline cracks.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42