What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replace the skirt or ???  (Read 16630 times)

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
Replace the skirt or ???
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »
I have a '93 Hot Springs Grandee.  We had a freeze and broke a couple of pipes.  In locating the breaks we removed a portion of the skirt and lost a few pieces in the process.  That's no problem as I am a woodworker and can make new pieces.  But what I'm wondering is would it be worth it to replace the entire skirt?  The wood is pretty weathered and has been power washed and even sanded a few times over the years.

I'm probably going to put all new pieces where we tore off the old, which is about 30% of the entire skirt.  I was just wondering, from the standpoint of cost vs. value, if it would be worth it to make the spa look new?  The wood shouldn't be more than $200 and as far as the labor, I think it would be fun to do it.  So it's more the money than the work.  If we don't do the whole thing then about a third of it will look new and the rest will look old, even if we fix it up.

We're already rebuilding the pumps, replacing the heater elements and the Moto-Jets and putting on a new top.  We're also purchasing a lift for the top.  We plan on selling the house in the next year or so but really don't know how much of an appeal a new looking old spa would have. 

So I was looking for input from those who have sold a house with an older spa, those who have bought a house with an older spa, or those who have knowledge about a spa's value when selling a house.

Hot Tub Forum

Replace the skirt or ???
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Replace the skirt or ???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
I was just wondering, from the standpoint of cost vs. value, if it would be worth it to make the spa look new?  The wood shouldn't be more than $200 and as far as the labor, I think it would be fun to do it.  So it's more the money than the work.  If we don't do the whole thing then about a third of it will look new and the rest will look old, even if we fix it up.

We're already rebuilding the pumps, replacing the heater elements and the Moto-Jets and putting on a new top.  We're also purchasing a lift for the top.  We plan on selling the house in the next year or so but really don't know how much of an appeal a new looking old spa would have. 

So I was looking for input from those who have sold a house with an older spa, those who have bought a house with an older spa, or those who have knowledge about a spa's value when selling a house.

My first reaction is that you can't answer the value vs cost question because its all about what matters to you. If however you are speaking about how it will look when its time to sell the house I would not hesitate to spend $200 to make the spa siding new vs a cabinet that is 18 years old with some new and some old slats. If its easy for you to do and you're willing I say spend the $200 I say go for it. When its done you'll stand back and not regret it. While it won't directly help the sale of the house or its price I think there has to be some subliminal help when they see a nice looking spa vs something weathered.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:31:42 pm »
You can get a new synthetic panel system that the aftermarket parts supply places are starting to carry but your probably looking at 700-800 bucks, If you like to work with wood i would go for it..
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:05 pm »
I finally found a place where I could purchase clear-heart redwood.  I walked in there and these guys are looking at me like I'm a Martian.  I then told them I what I was there for.  Then they said they were only a wholesaler and didn't sell to the public.  (That's why I looked like a Martian!)

I was about to walk out but I saw some hesitation in their eyes.  Then one guy says, "What is it that you wanted?"  I told him and he replied, "See that blue building in the back?"  I nodded even though there was no way I could see through the solid wall he was pointing toward.  "Drive back there and someone will be back there to help you.  We just want to finish lunch first."

So my girlfriend and I drove to the back and waited.  About 10 minutes later a man comes up and signals me to back up to an overhead door.  Once I did that, I got out and he asked me what I needed.  I told him clear heart (5) 2x4x8' and (10) 2x6x8'.  He said, "wrong building" and told me to meet him at another building.

It was almost 100 degrees outside but we walked to the other building and he showed me what they had.  As he started to assemble the lumber together I told him I would pull the SUV up.  My girlfriend stayed behind.  She loves the heat!

So we loaded up the lumber and I then went inside to pay.  Besides the skirt, the list included wood for a 48" long, two-level step (that was the 2x4's).  All in all it was over 100 board feet.  Shame on me for not doing the calculations because I wouldn't have been shocked when he handed me a bill for $670! 

This company supplies the hardwood lumber company I buy furniture grade wood from.  I told him I had just bought some African mahogany from them and it wasn't this expensive.  We talked a bit then I realized how much wood I was actually buying.  I felt kinda stupid for not knowing.  Then I bought it.

When I got home I wondered how much it would cost if I bought the individual pieces, each molded and cut at 30-32".  The total would have been almost $1,400, and that doesn't include the steps!  Yes, real clear-heart redwood is expensive. 

When I'm finished I'll post a picture.  It had better look like a million bucks or I'll cry!  ;D  But first I have to fix that last leak (after I find it!)

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »
All the redwood has been turned into paneling or steps now.  I made the new steps and the equipment door.  I haven't been able to do much on the tub itself because the tub has been on its side waiting for parts to fix a leak.  I fixed that yesterday and lowered and filled the tub.  Then we put on the new top and put the equipment door and steps in place to see how it's coming along.  Still a lot of work to be done!

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:57 pm »
All the redwood has been turned into paneling or steps now.  I made the new steps and the equipment door.  I haven't been able to do much on the tub itself because the tub has been on its side waiting for parts to fix a leak.  I fixed that yesterday and lowered and filled the tub.  Then we put on the new top and put the equipment door and steps in place to see how it's coming along.  Still a lot of work to be done!

Those steps look amazing.  Can't wait to see it all done.

sorebikr

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »
They really do!  I know it was an arm and a leg, but I think its gonna totally be worth it.

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »
Thank you!  

This is what it looked like before...

I copied the old steps but couldn't use any of the old wood.  Most was rotted and spongy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42