What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for dealers on this forum re: wet tests  (Read 3392 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question for dealers on this forum re: wet tests
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
Interested in buying a Caldera Kauai spa.  Only one Caldera dealer in my area.  Dealer has two locations though.  Both stores have the Kauai so I asked about wet testing.  "No, not the Kauai, we have the Solana filled."  So I said "what if a customer wants to buy a tub and wet test?" He said "we don't have them wired but we do have the Solana.  I can call my other store and see if you can wet test there."  A few minutes later he calls back "That store has the Kauai but it is not filled.  At least you can sit in it (we already did that). We can only have one tub per store filled."  So I ask dealers here is this the norm, one tub filled in the showroom because "they're not wired?"  Should I insist on a wet test if I want to spend $5-$6K with them--would this be unreasonable to ask?  And for owners/spa purchasers who have repeatedly preached INSIST ON WET TESTING BEFORE BUYING to all us newbies have you run into a similar experience at their spa dealer and how do you get around the dealers objections??? BTW, upstate NY, only 3 spa dealers within 60 mile radius and each has different brand so it's not like I can go to another dealer to wet test.  My money is in my pocket to spend NOW but I do want to wet test.  What would you do? 

Hot Tub Forum

Question for dealers on this forum re: wet tests
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:17 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Question for dealers on this forum re: wet tests
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »
This is a pretty common situation. I know some will say that a dealer should fill any spa for a customer and some may do that but the dealers I've worked with typically will have a few spas with water and won't fill per customer's desire. Its a lot of work to fill, drain and clean out every time someone wants a spa to test. I understand both sides though and certainly am for wet testing. Its not as simple as some would make it to just demand it but you certainly should let them know this could be a dealer breaker for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »
we do run into this were a customer wants to try out a certain spa. we make it happen, we can't do it on the spot, it does take time. We ask  for a day or two, it can be a pain if the tub that needs to be moved is stuck in a corner and has to moved.. But the name of the game right now is customer service.....but it is not uncommon for a dealer that does not have that capability to make that move unfortunately. we hear it all the time...I guess i would ask the dealer how bad do you want my business? they may decide they better switch them out....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »
In regard to what ejf said.  We are a bit strange as we have 3 private soak rooms with 3 hot tubs in each for people to "wet test."  However, we will fill any tub up provided adequate time.  I would ask how long they need.  Or is it that the current spa they have (Solana) is a 110V spa and the Caldera is 220V?  That could also be a problem...

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »
we don't have any soak rooms. but we have 2 seperate showrooms of spas, we have 2 spas running on main floor, one in front, and and spa running in our second buildiin g showroom,,, I don't push for a customer to wet test i leave that to them ,,, i find it uncomfortable for a wet test, the last customer i had satrting asking me about if i  go to church , and do i believe in god,,,and so on,,,,,,,,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:38:22 am »
Thanks for the input dealer guys.  I guess, if I read between your lines, is I should definitely try and push the wet test issue.  You seem to be saying that it's normal to want to wet test--without wet testing a spa it's like buying a car without sitting in it to see if you're comfortable in it.  Hubby and I have both sat in the ONE tub we want to buy and are comfortable but as everyone on here says, both dealers and spa owners, how a spa "fits us" is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WHEN THERE'S WATER IN IT.  We don't mind giving them a few days, a week to get the tub ready.  I'd be interested in hearing from some owners on here, those who live in cities similar to mine (where there are only 2/3 spa dealers --essential only one dealer for the brand spa you're thinking about buying) to see how reluctant or easy it was to do a wet test.  It's not like we want to wet test several spas.  We only want to wet test the one and WE'RE READY TO BUY.

sorebikr

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:12 am »
We don't mind giving them a few days, a week to get the tub ready.  I'd be interested in hearing from some owners on here, those who live in cities similar to mine (where there are only 2/3 spa dealers --essential only one dealer for the brand spa you're thinking about buying) to see how reluctant or easy it was to do a wet test.  It's not like we want to wet test several spas.  We only want to wet test the one and WE'RE READY TO BUY.

You might have to be a bit more patient with them.  I live in an area where we had 3 choices of dealers, each roughly 40 minutes from our house.  So we didn't have a lot of options, and certainly no competition between dealers.  They didn't have a tub handy for us to test (they'd just sold the tub on the floor that was filled and were in the process of draining it).  It was a week or two before they had another tub on the floor, and even then it wasn't the exact tub we ended up purchasing.  This is the dealer you're going to be in a relationship with for the next few years, right?  You want to make sure it starts off on the right foot for both parties.  They should fill a tub for you, but it may take longer than a week is all I'm saying.  If they're extremely difficult to work with, then take your business elsewhere.  There's no reason for you to be in love with that particular tub yet, especially if you haven't sat it in. 

Good luck.

spa goddess

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »
This seems to be common with Caldara and Hot Springs dealers in our area too.  We have had occassions where the customer purchased a spa from them and then returned it because it was not right for them when wet. 

We will always make a spa available for wet testing if we have it in stock.   It is a lot of work to move the tubs around and make it happen and it takes time. For the 10% of customers to whom it is important, it's worth taking the time to ease their mind and get them into the right tub here instead of dealing with an unhappy customer later.  We have asked for a $100 refundable deposit because we have done made tubs hot and ready for people and occassionally they don't show up.  At least this way they will come back in!

I wouldn't buy the spa from them if they won't help you now in the sales side.  Why would it be different later?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42