What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Aria versus Caldera Tahitian: Which One to Buy?  (Read 23961 times)

Bo

Hot Spring Aria versus Caldera Tahitian: Which One to Buy?
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »
Hi Everyone. My wife and I are am in the final stages of selecting a hot tub. I am 5' 9" 200 and my wife is 5'4" 140. We did a second wet test today with and narrowed down our choices to (1) Hot Spring Aria versus (2) Caldera Tahitian. My wife likes the Tahitian better and I am leaning in that direction as well because the jets are so much stronger than the Aria and I have a bad back. The Aria is good, but very expensive (see below). My concern with the  2011 Caldera Tahitian is quality. I have not seen anything about quality on this tub. I know that both are made by Watkins Manufacturing. The price quote (prior to negotiation) on the Aria is $11,225 excluding ACE system but includes: Delivery, Custom Fit Cover, 220 Volt Subpanel, Choice of Watercare, Ozone, Home Orientation, Pre-Site Inspection, Cover Mate 3 Hydraulic Cover lifter, and  Everwood Steps. Seems high! The price quote on the Tahitian was around $10,000. We did not get into specifics about everything else. My questions to you are: (1) What are your thoughts on these two tubs? and (2) What is a fair price to pay for these tubs? I live up North close to the Canadian boarder.  Thanks, Bo

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Aria versus Caldera Tahitian: Which One to Buy?
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »

d00nut

Re: Hot Spring Aria versus Caldera Tahitian: Which One to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:03 pm »
Both great hot tubs.  I didn't see anything about the comfort with the dealers.  If you got a dealer you think will do everything in their power to "fight" for you, I'd go with that one.  Quality is going to be about the same, seeing as they share a lot of the same components.  However, this may not be a big deal to you, but the Hot Springs are still made in the USA, where as their Caldera counterparts are made in Mexico.  Some of my customers really care about that aspect. 

I gotta ask though, why a cover mate 3 for the Aria?  Most Hot Spring & Caldera dealers only use the Watkins lifts, the uprite would do the same thing as the covermate 3, except not have that ugly bar laying across the cover.

Blow off the everwood steps if you wanna save a couple hundred, those things are expensive.  The Aria price seems in line with what I sell that spa for. 

Bo

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
d00nut,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate you taking the time to write a response. It's the same dealer but different locations. They had Aria at the main store and the Tahitian at another store. I don't know much about covers, but I recall seeing the bar across the tub when he opened and closed the tub. He said it is much easier to open and close with that cover. What would be a fair price for the Tahitian?

Thanks, Bo

shabba34

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:09 am »
Sounds like you and your wife are on the same page.  The Tahitian is probably a little roomier, as well as performing (hydraulically) better then the Aria.  Even though the two are of the same footprint, you can actually fit 2 more people in the Tahitian... Well, maybe 1 comfortably down in the water vs. sitting on the cool down bench on the Aria.  I've used both, sold both, like both, but it seems that after your wet test, a conclusion has been made as to which one would satisfy a communicable decision between you and your wife.  Both are backed the same and ultimately serviced by the same outfit.  The up-front price seems to be in your favor with the Tahitian, by about $1,500.00 after taxes and what not.  That difference in cost mainly lays with some exclusivity features on the Aria that the Tahitian does not have, and whether those are a necessity for you or not is individualized and possibly unnoticeable for the duration of your ownership of the product.  Enjoy...

Bo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »
Thank you, Shabba34,

There are two negatives that I have read about the Tahitian . First, it does not drain fully when cleaning and (2) there have been several low ratings on the ease of water care. Does anyone know about the problems related to the ease of water care on the Tahitian? Also, could there be a problem with it being made in Mexico? Thanks, Bo

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:29:13 pm »
Water care is very subjective to each individual and method of chemical treatment.  More times then not, operator error constitutes the problem rather then the other way around.  As far as draining capabilities, it's a necessary evil of 99% of the products out there, having no floor drain, causing a minimal, yet slight inconvenience of having to hand remove, via shop vac and or cup or bucket method, the remaining gallons of water in the tub, of which most people leave in there anyways, unless winterizing the spa.  Water is water, and needs to be treated properly no matter what other variables that are implemented on any product, IE: Filter size, filter volume capacity, type of filter, filtering time cycles, number of filters...and so on and so forth...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:29 pm »
Thank you, Shabba34,

There are two negatives that I have read about the Tahitian . First, it does not drain fully when cleaning and (2) there have been several low ratings on the ease of water care. Does anyone know about the problems related to the ease of water care on the Tahitian? Also, could there be a problem with it being made in Mexico? Thanks, Bo

A bottom of the floor drain is nice but hardly a dealer maker/breaker. Water care can vary to a degree by brand but it'll be manageable for either and most of it is in the hands of the owner anyway. Both are good brands made by the same manufacturer though in different plants but both are well made.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bo

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »
Thank you shabba34 & Spatech two.

Bo

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I have been proposed the following prices...let me know your thoughts...thx in advance:

1) Caldera Tahitian: Base Price $9795 + Tax with no steps or cover lifter. But does include GFI Box, Water Package, Free Delivery.
$10,070 + Tax if I add Covermate 1 and durasteps.

2) Hot Spring Aria is $11,225 + Tax (Does NOT include ACE system) but includes: Free Delivery, Custom Fit Cover, 220 Volt Subpanel, Choice of Watercare, Ozone, Home Orientation, Pre-Site Inspection, Cover Mate 3 Hydraulic Cover lifter, and Everwood Steps.

Thanks for any assistance,

Bo

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »
Bo, isn't this the same dealer??  If so, I would imagine the water care orientation and free sight inspection would also be included on the Tahitian.  And forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Utopia series in Caldera is standardized with ozone, just as the Aria is, and the disconnect box is the same one. And it also comes with a custom fit cover ;).  So you may be getting more then you may think on the Tahitian.  I would clarify this with the dealer.

If both products were packaged exactly the same...Exactly the same, they would be closer in price to each other.  Everwood steps vs. Dura steps $$$, CM1 vs. CM3 $$$

Bo

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:57 pm »
shabba34,

Thanks for the response, shabba34. I bet that the 2 stores are probably talking to each other. You're probably right. The starting negotiation point will be about the same with the same additions. That being said, are they of equal value financially? Bo

shabba34

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »
Both reputable spa models by a reputable MFG.  If I was a consumer, the difference in monetary "value" for the Aria and it's additional proprietary features is out weighed by the comfort, size and personal therapeutic "value" that you and your wife have already experienced first hand.  Otherwise, the other variables are the same, meaning MFG, local dealer and support etc...

Bo

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:02 pm »
Thanks Shabba34...I think we have a winner!!

d00nut

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 01:55:12 am »
d00nut,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate you taking the time to write a response. It's the same dealer but different locations. They had Aria at the main store and the Tahitian at another store. I don't know much about covers, but I recall seeing the bar across the tub when he opened and closed the tub. He said it is much easier to open and close with that cover. What would be a fair price for the Tahitian?

Thanks, Bo

Sorry I haven't responded till now... busy day!  The Tahitian price you were quoted sounds fair from what I heard, I don't have any direct knowledge on Caldera pricing so I couldn't really comment.  From reading the thread, it sounds like you are more comfortable in the Tahitian, and if it's the same dealer your comfortable with, I'd go with that one... plus it saves you $$$!

Couple things to ask though.  Covermate 3 on the Tahitian?  You seem to only mention it on the Aria as a benefit, you could easily put that on the Tahitian.  Also, Covermate 3's stick up like a sail, so if it's out in the open and you have a lot of wind, you could run into some issues with that (Granted, you'd have to be in the tub while it's super windy to have those issues.)  I typically only sell Covermate 3's or Uprite cover lifters when people put them up against a fence or wall where clearance space is hard to come by.

-D-

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »
Differences:
Aria:  Mutliple filters for cleaner water.
Tahitian:  One large filter

Aria:  Moto Massage plus variety of other jets
Tahitian: Variety of jets

Liters:  Sounds like dealer is in bed with Leisure Concepts.  Attaching lifter to the cover (Hot Spring exclusive) will make the cover last longer vs. the bar across the center which creates stress on the seams.

Don't go for the Everwood step.  Compare step to step.

Bottom line, both good spas.  Only you and your wife can decide if the Aria is worth more, and how much.  However, sounds like you were leaning toward the Tahitian.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42