What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just starting to look-thinking of a house type structure to put tub in- good/bad  (Read 4828 times)

jmosery

My husband and I are just starting our search

I've been reading the boards for a while and so confused so hopefully starting to talk to dealers will help understand things

their are SO MANY tubs out there

we are looking for a tub that fits 6 people

we are thinking of getting one of those "houses" to put it in. do people find that good/bad??

we dont need to buy the best but dont want to go cheap either

any recommendations? where do I even start? I live in Central Jersey and am going to go to Central Jersey Pools this week to talk with them.

what do I even begin to ask about?

Hot Tub Forum

sorebikr

My husband and I are just starting our search

I've been reading the boards for a while and so confused so hopefully starting to talk to dealers will help understand things

their are SO MANY tubs out there

we are looking for a tub that fits 6 people

we are thinking of getting one of those "houses" to put it in. do people find that good/bad??

we dont need to buy the best but dont want to go cheap either

any recommendations? where do I even start? I live in Central Jersey and am going to go to Central Jersey Pools this week to talk with them.

what do I even begin to ask about?

I was recently "brand new" to this and have grown into the "really really new" shopper.  But I'll pass along some of the advice that I receive here:

1.  You wont go wrong with these brands.  Use the handy dandy links below to find the closest dealer nearest you.

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html
http://www.d1spas.com/find-local-dealer.html
http://www.hotspring.com/find-a-dealer
http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/dealer-locator/
http://www.marquisspas.com/storelocator/
http://www.sundancespas.com/hot-tub-dealer-locator/cities/

2.  No one can tell you what you want or what you should look for.  The best way to figure it out is to wet-test each tub.  Yup - go, change into a suit, and sit in the tub, even if its in the middle of the showroom floor.  Weird.  But really the only way to figure out what you like.  There really is no point sitting in a dry tub.  Its like 'test driving' a car with no engine. 

3.  Figure out which dealers you like talking to.  Which ones seem the most responsive, the most flexible.  The least pushy.  You'll entering into a relationship with these people.  You need to sniff out which ones are going to stick with you for the long haul of maintenance and servicing.

4.  Ask a lot of specific questions here on the forum.  There are really good people here, but very few of them try to push their own brands.

5.  Be honest about your budget.  not best, not cheap doesn't mean anything to anyone except you.  "No more than $10K all in" or "Under 5K" is a lot more helpful.  :)

And welcome!

jmosery

Thank you

I just spent over an hour at Central Jersey Pools

They have a lot of LA Spas, Caldera and Clearwater

we talked about 24 hour filtration, ozonator and the foam padding

is it "bad" to go with a LA Spa or Clearwater

I think we are going to go with a spa around 6500 at the most

they had 2 D1 spas on clearance from $8700 to $5900- the Wayfarer- anyone know about that?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member

Why would you think they are bad? While my personal top choices (relative to quality, energy efficiency, warranty follow through, etc.) actually are the exact same ones sorebikr listed previously that doesn't mean he, myself or anyone else is going to label all others as a bad choice.

Take your time, wet test, look at a few different choices...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sorebikr

Thank you

I just spent over an hour at Central Jersey Pools
They have a lot of LA Spas, Caldera and Clearwater
we talked about 24 hour filtration, ozonator and the foam padding
I think we are going to go with a spa around 6500 at the most
they had 2 D1 spas on clearance from $8700 to $5900- the Wayfarer- anyone know about that?

A few more things to think about (since I can't answer all your specific questions).
$6,500 for 6+ people should help narrow things down quite a bit I'd imaging
Foam Padding:  You can search the archives, but basically there's no clear winner on full vs partial foam insulation.  In my mind, that means don't worry/think about it
D1 is supposed to be a great brand. 
It seems as though the jury is also out on the Ozinator.  It tends to be something that people say is "nice to have" but not needed if you are good about maintaining your chemical balance
Also - do you want a 6person tub?  Or do you want 6 people IN a tub.  Not necessarily the same thing.  :)  6 People take up a lot of space.
The rest of the forum will chime in later when they're done working.  I guess they're all more professional than I am.  :)

ChaiSTi

As far as your question about a gazebo, the pros is that it provides shade and privacy.  The con is maintenance and added service issues.  I'm sure there are more pros and cons that I can't think of right now.

Also, check with your local codes to see if there's any requirements for a gazebos.

NurseN2000

I'm a new hot tub buyer myself, and I went all over the city and wet tested all the brands available to me.  Wet testing was what made my choice clear in the end.  I sat in Hot Springs, Sundance, Catalina, Artesian, LA Spas as well as a locally made brand.  For me, nothing topped the LA Spas HEET.  Once I sat in it, I was in love with it(the Sundance Cameo is a close second for me, but cost a few thousand more).  The price was perfect as well, and the dealer was the best, I look forward to working with her in the future.  I feel lucky that I got a great tub, from a great dealer at a great price...and I'm sure you will too if you take your time and definitely wet test!!  My tub should be shipping next week, I will post some reviews of it after I have it up and running for a bit. 

Good Luck!!  :)

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42