What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for 3/4 person tub with a lounger for New York winters  (Read 2904 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Suggestions please for a small, energy efficient (for cold NY winter$) tub which will be used most of the time by my wife and I only.  I'm 5'10" and she's 5'6".  Must haves: a seat/s with armrests, wrist and back jets, ozone.  Wife thinks she would like a lonuger with fairly straight back.  Not interested in those made-for-2 only spas because we do want some variety in seats.  Would like to keep the cost between $5-7K.  Oh, and should we insist on wet testing before we buy.  This will be our first spa.  Local dealers (in town) are Caldera, Hot Springs, Master and Lazy Boy.  For others we'd have to travel 50-80 miles--I'm OK with that to buy but am leary of getting timely service from someone that far away, not to mention those trip charges! 

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Looking for 3/4 person tub with a lounger for New York winters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:04 am »
Suggestions please for a small, energy efficient (for cold NY winter$) tub which will be used most of the time by my wife and I only.  I'm 5'10" and she's 5'6".  Must haves: a seat/s with armrests, wrist and back jets, ozone.  Wife thinks she would like a lonuger with fairly straight back.  Not interested in those made-for-2 only spas because we do want some variety in seats.  Would like to keep the cost between $5-7K.  Oh, and should we insist on wet testing before we buy.  This will be our first spa.  Local dealers (in town) are Caldera, Hot Springs, Master and Lazy Boy.  For others we'd have to travel 50-80 miles--I'm OK with that to buy but am leary of getting timely service from someone that far away, not to mention those trip charges! 

1) Of the 4 you mentioned I'd clearly lean to Caldera and Hot Springs (good spas, fully insulated and being from Utica originally I know what those winters are like). I'm not a fan of Master at all and would not expect them to be as energy efficient. Not even sure who owns the rights to that LazyBoy name nowadays.

2) Local dealers are always more preferable when it comes to you going there and them coming out if issues arise but 50 miles is often ok (assuming the dealership is a customer oriented place) and even 80 with the right dealer though you really would want to get (in writing) what they would charge for warranty service (yes, I would expect a trip fee at that distance even when under warranty) and also something stating what kind of time frame you can expect to see service arrive after you’ve called for assistance (if you're down in January this can be an issue).

3) You certainly want to wet test the model you desire. Wet testing another model may give you an idea of what the jets feel like but not what the seating is like. It can be hit and miss because I'm used to dealers only having 3 or 4 models available for testing and usually its not the smallest models. Let them know this is a key for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
"Not even sure who owns the rights to that LazyBoy name nowadays"

Going to their website and finding the address, then to Google maps street view. The sign above the building says;

Hydropool Hot Tubs
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:23:30 pm »
Definitely wet test.  Of the brands you mentioned, Hot Springs and Caldera have a better reputation for customer service and quality.  Depending on where in New York you are, you could maybe check out Saratoga Spas as they are made in New York. 

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:03 pm »
I would agree i would look at the Hot Springs and Caldera, very reputable companies,, I am noty a fan of Master, and the Lazy Boy spas, not made by Lazy Boy just the rights to the name,,,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

1) Of the 4 you mentioned I'd clearly lean to Caldera and Hot Springs (good spas, fully insulated and being from Utica originally I know what those winters are like). I'm not a fan of Master at all and would not expect them to be as energy efficient. Not even sure who owns the rights to that LazyBoy name nowadays.

2) Local dealers are always more preferable when it comes to you going there and them coming out if issues arise but 50 miles is often ok (assuming the dealership is a customer oriented place) and even 80 with the right dealer though you really would want to get (in writing) what they would charge for warranty service (yes, I would expect a trip fee at that distance even when under warranty) and also something stating what kind of time frame you can expect to see service arrive after you’ve called for assistance (if you're down in January this can be an issue).

3) You certainly want to wet test the model you desire. Wet testing another model may give you an idea of what the jets feel like but not what the seating is like. It can be hit and miss because I'm used to dealers only having 3 or 4 models available for testing and usually its not the smallest models. Let them know this is a key for you.

Hey I'm from Utica!! I have a Caldera Moorea (has a lounger) and has served me very well for the last 4 Central NY winters. Have had minimal problems with mine although just got my circ pump changed again for the 2nd time in 3 months (this is my 3rd)! The 2nd must have been defective. Riverside pools was very good both times and my tub did not come from them (my dealer from Rome closed).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42