What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dedicated Power for a 110 volt tub  (Read 11648 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Dedicated Power for a 110 volt tub
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:46 am »
We sell tubs which can convert from 110 to 220 volt. We also sell tubs which require 220 volt connections. Without sparking a controversy or even a discussion about the differences, I want to simply offer this as a PSA - if you are going to run a tub on 110 volts, you will need to plug it into a circuit which can supply sufficient power UNDER LOAD. I have just had two new tub owners who hired electricians to install outlets for their 110 tubs. Both electricians did a nice job on the piping, fittings and so forth. But the tubs did not run when we filled and fired them. Because the wire size was too small for the run - they would heat, but the jet pumps just didn't have enough voltage to start properly.

That means specifically this: if the length of wire from the breaker to the outlet is too long (75 feet is about it) you must go to a larger sized wire. In my cases, both of these customers had to run in new, 10 gauge wire all the way from box to outlet. One of them was able to grab another wire and make it work by doubling up, the other had to trench and drop in PVC conduit, and then pull fresh wire. But this was AFTER paying the electrician to extend an existing outlet over to the tub location.

This is true of all tubs, all brands - a 110 volt tub needs a 20A dedicated circuit, which really should be run with oversize wiring right from the 'get go.' They will draw around 14 Amps, and they will exceed that for a split second as the jet motor starts up. Or tries to start up...

Best advice: have your electrician (or friend, handyman, brother-in-law) talk to your dealer before any work is done. In most cases this can be a fairly easy install - but if you go ahead without the proper information you may have to spend money to redo some of the work.

Heads up.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Dedicated Power for a 110 volt tub
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:46 am »

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
Re: Dedicated Power for a 110 volt tub
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:11:02 pm »
Chas, great point, i do sell both as well, fortunately we have not run into this issue,,, we presite every spa we deliver. if going on a long run, we refer a n electrician we have worked with for a long time...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:15 pm »
 Great post, yet in 11 years I have had only 2 issues where power was lacking, both were new construction homes ironically in the same development where the electrician tied in outlets from inside the house to the gfci receptacle outside.  Tub ran fine till the home owner fired up a hair dryer or iron in a back bedroom. 

Thanks for the info though!!

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »
Every time a spa is sold in our store we give them a separate printout of the electrical requirements and have them sign to acknowledge they have received it. This way, if they are doing their own or having a "handyman" do it there is no way to say they were not informed. We always give referrals for Licensed electricians who are familiar with our spa requirements.  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Waterbug

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »
  I just purchased a new hot tub.  During the purchase process, I visited four different dealers and discussed probably a dozen different tubs.  At no time did any of the salesmen even metion wiring requirements.  Luckily, I've owned 4 tubs previously and knew what to expect.  I did my own research on-line and never even bothered to bring the subject up.  A new 70 foot long 240VAC 50 amp circuit doesn't come cheap. (75' of 6-3 with ground UF wire, a 50amp/240VAC breaker, a 50amp/240VAC GFI, misc. hardware and 4+ hours of installation time).  It can be a rude awakening.

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:52 am »
  I just purchased a new hot tub.  During the purchase process, I visited four different dealers and discussed probably a dozen different tubs.  At no time did any of the salesmen even metion wiring requirements.  Luckily, I've owned 4 tubs previously and knew what to expect.  I did my own research on-line and never even bothered to bring the subject up.  A new 70 foot long 240VAC 50 amp circuit doesn't come cheap. (75' of 6-3 with ground UF wire, a 50amp/240VAC breaker, a 50amp/240VAC GFI, misc. hardware and 4+ hours of installation time).  It can be a rude awakening.

It certainly was for me.  ($1300 in my area).  I quickly became much smarter on running 6awg + conduit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42