What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The dumbest electrician in the world fixed my Hot Tub.....HELP!  (Read 5464 times)

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Where I live no one uses or knows what a GFCI is.  So, since it was tripping, my maid lets in an electrician while I am sleeping, he chops off all the wires to get out the GFCI and hot wires in a normal breaker.

Now I have ordered a new GFCI from another country but the problem is the cable from the GFCI box to the Tub is too short now.  It is under pavement so replacing it will mean ripping up the floors, ect.

Is using electrical tape safe to extend these wires?  It is a 4 wire hookup at 110v on 2 lines, ground and neutral.  Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: The dumbest electrician in the world fixed my Hot Tub.....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:53 pm »
 I am by no means a electrician so follow your own codes!  But, you should be able to add in a junction box and splice the wires together with the right connectors.   Basically its a 4"x4" hollow metal box. 

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, and it is an interesting one I might consider.  But the box is close to the floor so I would probably have to rip up some of the floor this was.

Waterbug

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »
  Your options are limited by the volume of your connection box/panel and the gauge of the wiring to the tub.  For example: 20 Amp service generally requires 12 gauge wiring and 50 Amp service generally requires 6 gauge wire.  12 gauge wire is easy to work with, 6 gauge wire is nearly impossible to work with.  In either case, electrical tape is not the answer.  12 gauge wire can be spliced with wire-nuts.  6 gauge wire requires a different splicing device.  The volume of your box/panel may make splicing impossible.  Pictures would help.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:51:45 pm by Waterbug »

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:30 am »
It is 6 guage wire so how would I connect it?

BNMac

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »
Electrical tape is for insulating, not for connecting.  You'll need some type of connector to extend the wire.  A common type is the butt connector, aka butt splices, butt crimps, wire crimp butts, wire butt splices or even just butts.  I've used both the crimp style and those with screws. 

If you decide to use the crimp style, you must use the proper crimp tool to ensure a proper connection.  Too loose, and you'll have a hot connection - and perhaps a fire.  Too tight, and you'll probably have a hot connection again as part of the wire may be sheared off at the connection and the remainder of the wire may be too small to handle the load.

I like the screw type connectors, but you'll need to ensure you torque them per the spec to have the correct pressure on the wire.

Once you've made the connection, ensure you've properly insulated the connectors so you don't get a short between them.   If possible, I like to offset the connectors so they are not side by side.

Help that hopes!

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »
Yes that helps.  Thanks.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:46 pm »

Crimp Sleeves, or;

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
May we assume that there was a REASON the GFI was tripping in the first place? If you replace the GFI and it begins to trip immediately, you should call in a qualified Spa Repairman to find out why. 
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:47 am »
".....you should call in a qualified Spa Repairman to find out why"

Unfortunately, that would require flying someone from the US to South America.  However, I am at the point now that I might consider doing so.....anyone interested?   ???  I could offer free accommodation here:  http://www.penthouse.co
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:25:35 am by dude »

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
May we assume that there was a REASON the GFI was tripping in the first place? If you replace the GFI and it begins to trip immediately, you should call in a qualified Spa Repairman to find out why. 

I am pretty sure I found the reason it was tripping.  The "electrician" did not know how to strip the thick black rubber over the 4 wires without cutting the wires inside.  So he just put some tape around everything.

After I got the new GFCI, I hooked it back up, but it was too late, the computer/heater is completely burned up and melted.  The only replacement I have is a spa pack of different brand, so the fun starts all over again.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »
Didn't I offer to deliver some chemicals to you a while back? This would be easier than trying to smuggle chlorine on  plane and into Columbia :-).....and I have enough frequent flier miles to make a few....dozen trips

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »
It is only 3 hours from Miami.   8)

I doubt anyone has ever smuggled anything "into" Colombia.  Someone should though smuggle in a whole suitcase of GFCIs but then the "electricians" would not know what they were for.

My "electrician" thought the white tail wire was not needed, and cut it off.  I wish I was joking.  >:(

Didn't I offer to deliver some chemicals to you a while back? This would be easier than trying to smuggle chlorine on  plane and into Columbia :-).....and I have enough frequent flier miles to make a few....dozen trips

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42