What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best 3 Person Hot Tub, Your Opinions Please??  (Read 22664 times)

brixdude

Best 3 Person Hot Tub, Your Opinions Please??
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:07 am »
My wife and I are looking for our first hot tub and it needs to be less that 6' in width. Budget is not a major concern, but if we pay more we want to know we're getting value for the extra money spent. So far we've looked at Hot Springs, Marquis, Dynasty and Cal Spas.  I really liked the Hot Springs Jetsetter and my wife was leaning more to the Dynasty. Marquis, looked nice, but not quite our cup of tea.  The Cal Spas are out purely on aesthetics.  I'm 6' tall and my wife is 5' tall, so we'd need a tub that would accomadate both our heights.

Any other brands we should consider that have a good tub in this size range?

Also, opinions on Hot Springs vs. Dynasty would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Best 3 Person Hot Tub, Your Opinions Please??
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:07 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Best 3 Person Hot Tub, Your Opinions Please??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:20:07 pm »
I put Hot Springs and Marquis on my preferred list (ahead of Dynasty and not a fan of Cal) but one thing to add is that if you want a spa for 3 people you should get a spa that is listed as being for 4+ people. The only problem wih that is a limitation of less than 6' in width is limiting as you're probably finding out. If you want to look beyond those you've already checked out I'd see if Caldera, D1, Jacuzzi and Sundance are in your area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »
I would also add Arctic Spas to the list. Check out the Arctic Fox by Arctic Spas if they are in your area. It is less than six foot wide and if very comfortable for 2-3 people. It also has nice depth to it with the 39" tall cabinet. Lastly, it is available in four jetting options so you can choose how you want it. Good luck in your search.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

brixdude

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  Unfortunately Caldera closed down here, so no dice.  We did find an Arctic and a Sundance Dealer.  We weren't too impressed with the Sundance.  Maybe because the dealer didn't really specialize in spas, so that put me off.  The Arctic was clearly a well made hot tub but by the time we get a lot of the options that the Jetsetter already comes with the price is starting to get out of hand. 

So we're really leaning to the Jetsetter, so now I'm trying to figure out a fair price.  I have a quote for a base price of $6,795 for spa and cover, without ACE.  Is that fair or should I beat him up some more??  The only accessories we really need are the cover lifter and the sub panel, any chance of getting those thrown in for free?

Thank you!
Mike

marky mark

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
That sounds too high to me.  By the time you have electrical work done and all else you are pushing 8-9K for a 3 man tub. Hot Springs and Sundance are over priced IMO, I am not a fan of full foam either. I think they are quality tubs, just grossly overpriced.   There are other quality brands........ But it is all a matter of preference, some people will swear by Hot Springs, while other will say they are riding on their reputation that has been caught up with and even surpassed by others. It is a tough call as unbiased opinions on hot tubs are hard to come by. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:43 am »
Thanks for the advice!  Unfortunately Caldera closed down here, so no dice.  We did find an Arctic and a Sundance Dealer.  We weren't too impressed with the Sundance.  Maybe because the dealer didn't really specialize in spas, so that put me off.  The Arctic was clearly a well made hot tub but by the time we get a lot of the options that the Jetsetter already comes with the price is starting to get out of hand. 

So we're really leaning to the Jetsetter, so now I'm trying to figure out a fair price.  I have a quote for a base price of $6,795 for spa and cover, without ACE.  Is that fair or should I beat him up some more??  The only accessories we really need are the cover lifter and the sub panel, any chance of getting those thrown in for free?

Thank you!
Mike

If you really do like the Arctic, you might mention to the dealer that you are looking to buy a spa, and you like their's, but the one down the street is a little cheaper, and see if they can do anything on the price. I would also recommend wet testing both of the models to make sure they fit and you like them. That does seem a little high on the HS price you quoted as well. So I would do the same thing with that dealer, and that way you can ensure yourself you will get a fair price.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:00 am »
Thanks for the advice!  Unfortunately Caldera closed down here, so no dice.  We did find an Arctic and a Sundance Dealer.  We weren't too impressed with the Sundance.  Maybe because the dealer didn't really specialize in spas, so that put me off.  The Arctic was clearly a well made hot tub but by the time we get a lot of the options that the Jetsetter already comes with the price is starting to get out of hand.  

So we're really leaning to the Jetsetter, so now I'm trying to figure out a fair price.  I have a quote for a base price of $6,795 for spa and cover, without ACE.  Is that fair or should I beat him up some more??  The only accessories we really need are the cover lifter and the sub panel, any chance of getting those thrown in for free?

Thank you!
Mike

Always try to negotiate until they won't budge further, no need to be shy, just be firm yet polite. Plus, I do believe that subpanel comes standard with the spa just like the cover.

That sounds too high to me.  By the time you have electrical work done and all else you are pushing 8-9K for a 3 man tub. Hot Springs and Sundance are over priced IMO, I am not a fan of full foam either. I think they are quality tubs, just grossly overpriced.  

1) The electrical work shouldn't be added to the equation. It’s going to cost the same no matter what is purchased so I’m not sure why you add it in.
2) I wouldn't buy a spa that wasn't fully foamed, you're entitled to your opinion so “to each his own”. Hot Springs and Sundance are not the cheapest options but I wouldn't call them overpriced compared to others and certainly not grossly overpriced. They're high quality, well-made spas and as we all know, you get what you pay for and with these you get a well engineered product and a warranty you can count on.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:42:00 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:15:03 pm »
There a some very good spas in the size you are looking for on the list D1, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Marquis, Hot Springs..  you can add Arctic, Clearwater to the list as well, YOu can get a great spa in either a foam or non foam... i would not buy based on the comments of full foam or not,, I also would not count the electrical  any spa will need that. But we usually see 800- to 1000.00 add on for the electrical..But on the BEST spa, there is no such thing,,, if there were then there would be no competition,,, but there are this list which i would put as the BETTER SPAS. the price quoted i think is in line at least in our area. But like Beerman said tell them you are serious and looking at the other brand as well, see if you work him a little bit more, It can't hurt, Most of us are used to getting hit with you have to de better for the deal....; And myself i am not a fan of the salt systems. any brand.. i like the ozone, mineral purifier and chlorine...personally on your original list i would look tat the Marquis and the Hot Springs....good luck on the shopping
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

brixdude

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:57:48 pm »
So things have changed a little now. I came across a Hot Spot SX and I really like it.  It fits our deck perfectly and the price is more in line with our budget.  I haven't wet tested it, but dry it fit me fine and I love the armrests.

I was a little frustrated with the sales rep for not showing it to me in the first place when it was almost exactly what I was asking for.  When I told him Jetsetter was out based on price he still didn't show it to me.  It was only when I visited another store that I saw it.  I've also taken the above advice and been negotiating the price rather aggressively. Honestly, the only barrier now is the sales rep.  There's definitely a style issue as he's being very defensive with us and I don't think he did himself any favors by trying to sell us more than we need. I'm sure he's a good rep with a lot of happy customers, but somehow our wires are crossed. I think we'll just try to work with a different location/sales rep to get it done.

Right now we're at $5,600 for 220 and every option but the music and steps. Are we in the ball park?  I saw a post here from March for an SX from the same dealer for $5100 similarly equipped, so I'm still pushing the price. Is there a reason it would have sold for less in March?

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »
price wise the change could be that the the spa sold in March could have been on flooring and starting to pay interest,,, or could have been a 2010 model, and there could have been a price increase, i saw price increases form our manufacturers..
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

brixdude

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:17 am »
Good point on the price, I didn't think about it being last year's model.  I've made peace with the sales rep as well incidentally. 

One more question, the SX is apparently unable to be equipped with the ACE salt system and I'm starting to wonder if I do want salt.  ACE was probably out based on the price anyway but the ease of maintenance is appealing. Are there any good inexpensive aftermarket solutions anyone can recommend?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:24 pm »
Good point on the price, I didn't think about it being last year's model.  I've made peace with the sales rep as well incidentally. 

One more question, the SX is apparently unable to be equipped with the ACE salt system and I'm starting to wonder if I do want salt.  ACE was probably out based on the price anyway but the ease of maintenance is appealing. Are there any good inexpensive aftermarket solutions anyone can recommend?

ColorChlor and Technichlor make aftermarket systems in the $3-$400 range I believe, One is an "in-line" option and I believe the other uses a cell that "hangs over the edge of the spa" although I would be leary to modify anything on the spa during its warranty period, most of my SX/Jetsetter customers use ozone, and shock/chlorine as needed with great success and in small amounts due to the small size of the tub

Jet Sitter

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:00 pm »
Hmmm...recommending a three person tub for you and your wife would depend on who the third person is.  I am usually not a fan of lounge spas but if I was sharing the tub with two women I could probably find a good use for the lounge seat.  Alternatively, if it was me, a woman and another guy I probably would just get out and leave the tub to the two of them.

d00nut

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:34 pm »
First, I'd like to introduce myself.  I am not a spa newbie, been in the industry for about 8 years.  Work at a dealership that carries both Hot Spring & Jacuzzi brand spas. 

Just wanted to get that out of the way before I respond to any comments/ questions.

That sounds too high to me.  By the time you have electrical work done and all else you are pushing 8-9K for a 3 man tub. Hot Springs and Sundance are over priced IMO, I am not a fan of full foam either. I think they are quality tubs, just grossly overpriced.   There are other quality brands........ But it is all a matter of preference, some people will swear by Hot Springs, while other will say they are riding on their reputation that has been caught up with and even surpassed by others. It is a tough call as unbiased opinions on hot tubs are hard to come by. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

Marky Mark, by reading the forum, it looks like you have yet to own a spa.  It's similar to comparing a Cadillac to a Kia, they both do similar jobs, but in the way they do it is very different.  Cadillac's are not overpriced, but in their own league.  Plus, both Sundance and Watkins (Hot Spring) are part of bigger company's that are publicly traded.  Apollo Group and Masco by law have to put money aside for the warranty work.  So in the event that something terrible happens (say they go out of business,) the customers still are covered by that warranty money.  Spas are about peace of mind, just as much as hydrotherapy. 

I believe this has already been said, but electrical shouldn't be factored in.  You'd be paying for it regardless.

So things have changed a little now. I came across a Hot Spot SX and I really like it.  It fits our deck perfectly and the price is more in line with our budget.  I haven't wet tested it, but dry it fit me fine and I love the armrests.

I was a little frustrated with the sales rep for not showing it to me in the first place when it was almost exactly what I was asking for.  When I told him Jetsetter was out based on price he still didn't show it to me.  It was only when I visited another store that I saw it.  I've also taken the above advice and been negotiating the price rather aggressively. Honestly, the only barrier now is the sales rep.  There's definitely a style issue as he's being very defensive with us and I don't think he did himself any favors by trying to sell us more than we need. I'm sure he's a good rep with a lot of happy customers, but somehow our wires are crossed. I think we'll just try to work with a different location/sales rep to get it done.

Right now we're at $5,600 for 220 and every option but the music and steps. Are we in the ball park?  I saw a post here from March for an SX from the same dealer for $5100 similarly equipped, so I'm still pushing the price. Is there a reason it would have sold for less in March?

Is this a 2011 Hot Spot SX?  What options are you exactly looking at?  For instance, that spa could include an optional circulation pump, ozone, and cover lifter (different types.)  If the SX sold in March was a 2010, it would have sold for a lot less.  The 2011's got mildly upgraded, with the ability of putting a circ pump in, new acrylic mold, new pillow(s,) and more color options.

Hope it helps!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42