What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber: One year old used or brand new and will warranty transfer?  (Read 4244 times)

Scoobmaster

Hi again all.

My quest for a tub just took a new wrinkle.  We wet tested a Beachcomber 350 Hybrid (my full thread about it) and the very next day I see a local Craigslist ad for the EXACT same model 12 months old for sale.  I contacted the seller and it not only is the exact model (Beachcomber 350 Hybrid) we just wet tested, it is the same color and was purchased from the same dealer.  We went and looked at it last night and it is in great shape.  They are selling it do to moving and are unable to take it with them.

So I am now pondering new vs. 1 year old at a significant price difference.  I would still like to work with (read hire and pay) the dealer to move it and become a customer for future service and supplies, so it would still be a positive thing for them (plus they sold the tub originally, so they should know its history).  I have read online that Beachcomber allows ONE warranty transfer.  Can anyone (Beachcomber dealers) confirm this?  Is it a good idea to go with a 1 year old used tub if I can transfer the warranty and pay about $2800 less (I know I will have to spend a few hundred to have it moved and hooked up).

Opinions? 

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I didn't think anyone had warranty transfer anymore. The dealer should know for sure but it would be best to call Customer service for BC to get the dfinitive answer on that. If not tansferrable I'd say a used 1 yr old spa should sell for about 55 to 60% of the cost of a new one as that first year is always a big hit (estimation based on losing the "new" label and warranty) and in that case $2800 wouldn't be enough for me especially with having to move it as well. With the warranty transfer its a consideration IMO.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Scoobmaster

Thanks for the reply, spatech.

I called the Beachcomber dealer and she confirmed that they *DO* allow ONE transfer of warranty during the life of a tub.  A brand new model 350 Hybrid was quoted to me at $6299 plus tax - which in our great state of NY is 8%, so that puts me around $6800 total.  For $4000 (asking price) I can get the 1-year old used model and still have a year of warranty (4 year on the shell).  The dealer was also able to confirm that it was purchased from them, so they know the history of the tub (no reported problems).  I  think we have finally found our tub!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Thanks for the reply, spatech.

I called the Beachcomber dealer and she confirmed that they *DO* allow ONE transfer of warranty during the life of a tub.  A brand new model 350 Hybrid was quoted to me at $6299 plus tax - which in our great state of NY is 8%, so that puts me around $6800 total.  For $4000 (asking price) I can get the 1-year old used model and still have a year of warranty (4 year on the shell).  The dealer was also able to confirm that it was purchased from them, so they know the history of the tub (no reported problems).  I  think we have finally found our tub!

In that case I'd take the $4k (+ moving cost) 1-year old spa with 4 year warranty over the same $6800 new spa with 5 year warranty. I would of course first offer $3400 to see if they bite, it never hurts to haggle, especially when you wave $100 bills.

Also, I wouldn't offer anything unless I could see it in operation, even being only 1 year old with warranty.

Scoobmaster

Done Deal.

We went to look at it last night and confirmed it is in fine shape and operational.  It was up to temperature and I got to see the jets running.  Now I just need to work out the details with the dealership on removal, shipping, and setup on my deck.  I must say I have been very impressed with the local Beachcomber dealer (Johnson's Pools and Spas in Owego, NY).  They have been EXTREMELY helpful and even suggested that I go with the 12-month used model over buying new from them (it is a tub they originally sold) as we would save significantly.  I traded a year of warranty and "wear-n-tear" for $2800.  It will still have 11 months of "bumper to bumper" full warranty and 47 months of structure/shell.  A small gamble on our part, but I bet we could replace a lot of parts before we use up $2800 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Done Deal.

We went to look at it last night and confirmed it is in fine shape and operational.  It was up to temperature and I got to see the jets running.  Now I just need to work out the details with the dealership on removal, shipping, and setup on my deck.  I must say I have been very impressed with the local Beachcomber dealer (Johnson's Pools and Spas in Owego, NY).  They have been EXTREMELY helpful and even suggested that I go with the 12-month used model over buying new from them (it is a tub they originally sold) as we would save significantly.  I traded a year of warranty and "wear-n-tear" for $2800.  It will still have 11 months of "bumper to bumper" full warranty and 47 months of structure/shell.  A small gamble on our part, but I bet we could replace a lot of parts before we use up $2800 

or better yet, take the $2800 savings and go to Vegas or AC and double it!!

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42