What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gravel Pad  (Read 4396 times)

jparadise

Gravel Pad
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »
Okay so plans have changed again, first it was a deck than it was a concrete pad and now we're on to a gravel pad.  My reasoning is this...the tub is old and not in the best shape so who knows if this thing will last more than a couple years.  If we dont end up getting a lot of use from it, and end up scrapping it without replacing it I dont want to have to tear out a concrete pad...gravel would be much easier.  What is everyones thoughts?

I plan to excavate and compact the ground then  build a frame slightly bigger than the tub with the top of the frame at ground level.  Than fill it fill it with 6" of pea gravel compacted and leveled every couple inches.  This should last me a couple years right? 

Hot Tub Forum

Gravel Pad
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Gravel Pad
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »
Sounds fine, seen it done that way many times.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:34:58 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:44:07 pm »
One of the properties of true pea gravel is, it doesn't compact.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jet Sitter

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:28:53 pm »
Crushed aggregate, like used in driveways, can be compacted and is more stable than pea gravel.

jparadise

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
with young kids, I want to keep it foot friendly which is why I was thinking pea gravel

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:09:50 pm »
If you are building a box, just run some more boards every few feet as supports. Fill it halfway with the gravel, and set the tub so that the supports are perpendicular to the supports on the spa.  It will be easier to keep the boards level in joist hangers rather than trying to level off gravel and hoping it doesn't move when the tub is placed on it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:09:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42