What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pick up free hot tub? good or bad idea?  (Read 2910 times)

forknif

Pick up free hot tub? good or bad idea?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:20 am »
I am looking at picking up one of these free hot tubs i see people are giving away, most are broken.. I was looking for some advice... I have never repaired a hot tub, so I was wondering, is it worth my time and money to pick one of these up and try to repair it? or should i stay away from doing this? I dont know how big of a pain it is to repair one? or if its just not worth my time? any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Pick up free hot tub? good or bad idea?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:20 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Pick up free hot tub? good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
If you can get a 10 +/- year old Hot Spring could be worth it.  Would need new cover $300-$400.  New filters.  Whatever repairs needed.  If you are handy and can diagnose.  Parts readily available.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:25:21 am »
I am looking at picking up one of these free hot tubs i see people are giving away, most are broken.. I was looking for some advice... I have never repaired a hot tub, so I was wondering, is it worth my time and money to pick one of these up and try to repair it? or should i stay away from doing this? I dont know how big of a pain it is to repair one? or if its just not worth my time? any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

TOTAL crapshoot.

Some people will have a spa that is salvagable or even close to being totally fine but rather than asking a few hundred bucks for it they're satisfied to give it away free reasoning the fact someone will haul it off is good enough for them. There are  some of these deals out there if you can spot them.

Others will have a total piece of crap and rather than cutting it up and getting rid of it themselves they figure "let me see if I can get some sucker to haul away my garbage by putting a 'FREE' sign on it". There are lots of these deals available lol.

You have to have a keen eye and spot the junk as thats going to be the case with "free" spas more often than not. Can you spot the junk? Its like the old poker saying "If you can't spot the sucker at the table, its you".

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:25:37 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

forknif

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »
ha, good point! and it might end up being me  ;D. I will keep looking and hopefully find one that I can salvage.... Thanks for your input.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »
I hauled away a 7 year old Calspa for a customer free that I put a 300 dollar pump in, power washed and refinished the skirting, bought a 325 dollar cover, and sold for 1700 bucks. About 800 invested in parts and time. The tub is still running 14 months later with no issues. I offered a 90 day warranty.

There are deals out there. But you have to know what your looking at.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42