What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filtering confusion  (Read 5693 times)

raysdad

filtering confusion
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »
 First let me say that I am an ignorant newbie in the world of spas.  My wife is a fair skinned red head and is very sensitive to pool chemicals as a general rule.  That said, she has a wish for a spa to relax and unwind in.  I emailed both Hot Springs and D1 asking for information about their filter systems and the optional systems that they might offer. I received quick automatic responses from both companies with a link to their general brochure that does not begin to answer my questions and gave me names and addresses of their dealer in my area. 
The Hot Spring rep my wife talked to during her visit was new and could not offer much in describing their standard vs. ACE systems.  The D1 dealer mainly sells teak furniture and has only three models to look at, but suggested she visit their store some 70 miles away where they knew more about the spas. 
Can someone suggest a source where I can read about the filtering systems available that require the least amount of chemicals possible.  It seems that if I want information on either of those lines I will have to shop somewhere other than the closest dealer.
Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

filtering confusion
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »

footie

Re: filtering confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:21 am »
I also thought that my wife is sensitive to chemicals, she takes the prescribed equivalent to piriton daily, has done for several years now so I too was wishing to use as little of chemicals as humanly possible, I did in fact go with an alternative at the very start (what a disaster). Luckily I fell in with a chemical guy on another forum who told me the right and wrong facts of chemical and it's effects on skin.

Trust me it's a bad decision to move away from either Chlorine or Bromine as maintaining either correctly will have no effect what so ever on her skin if my wife's experience is typical. We now use Bromine, at a typical level of between 4-6ppm but I believe it's the water balance that is probably the biggest factor on whether she has issues.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:05:50 am »
Ibut I believe it's the water balance that is probably the biggest factor on whether she has issues.

Without any knowledge of the sensitivity issue, this is probably a fair statement. I use chlorine but put in a dose when we get out and the tub is almost 0 ppm the next time we get in.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

footie

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
Without any knowledge of the sensitivity issue, this is probably a fair statement. I use chlorine but put in a dose when we get out and the tub is almost 0 ppm the next time we get in.

Are you never concerned about the growth of bacteria, after all it doesn't take those little buggers long to multiple out of control. I much prefer to maintain a decent level of bromine (in my case) because of the fact that 102degree water makes for the ideal breeding ground and even a fart puts out fecal matter, I know not a nice subject but still true.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:58 am »
How's this fart going to get into the tub between the time he gets out, and the next time he gets in?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:08:33 am »
How's this fart going to get into the tub between the time he gets out, and the next time he gets in?

Can't tell if serious?

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:38 pm »
Thats funny ;D ;D,
 On a serious side, The filtering system on the D1 is very good, If your looking at the Reflection series, they use the Ultrapure Water Mangement System, It uses the low amp 24/7 circ pump with a 3 chamber ozone, this allows the water to get hit with 3 areas in the chamber for scrubbing the water, also with the dual filter system and the use of the Vision Mineral cartridge, it will reduce the use of chemicals and destorys 99.96 percent of the bacteria in the spa. also the ozone still works when you are in the tub, it does not offgas into the main body of water, it works very well, On my own personal tub, do not use a lot ofchemicals we keep the Chlorine level at 1-2 p.p.m and works great...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

raysdad

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »
Footie .. my question was an attempt in getting opinions of two filtering systems and if I could get by with less added chemicals with one over the other.  I am very aware of the need for proper ph and sanitation.  I guess we won't really know until we try both chlorine and bormine to see if one works better for her than the other.  thanks for your reply, my wife found it reassuring that she isn't the only one out there who has had negative reactions to pools and spas.

EJF .. Can you comment on Ultra Pure vs. Ultra Pure Plus .. The salesperson had a blank stare when I asked him for his opinion.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »
Footie .. my question was an attempt in getting opinions of two filtering systems and if I could get by with less added chemicals with one over the other.  I am very aware of the need for proper ph and sanitation.  I guess we won't really know until we try both chlorine and bormine to see if one works better for her than the other.  thanks for your reply, my wife found it reassuring that she isn't the only one out there who has had negative reactions to pools and spas.

EJF .. Can you comment on Ultra Pure vs. Ultra Pure Plus .. The salesperson had a blank stare when I asked him for his opinion.

Both Hot Spring and D1 make very good spas and while their filtering systems differ neither is really going to cause you to use more or less chems than the other so if that was what was behind your question about how each filters then I'd just consider them even.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
Any man lucky enough to have a fair-skinned red-head for a wife should not be farting in the hot tub.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
raysdad,
 i answered that on the other thread,, it works very well, I not only sell the spas but i am also a tech, and i own a D1 as well..I use chlorine and use less than 3 p.pm of chlorine. My wife who also cannot handle the harshness of chemicals comments on the spa she can't smell the chlorine, and also does not effect her skin....win ,,,win..
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

footie

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:31 am »
If you can smell chemical then you aren't using enough.

p.s.

And yes the fart was a joke.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42