What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Denali vs. J210 - new spa buyer  (Read 11438 times)

warmh2o

Sundance Denali vs. J210 - new spa buyer
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »
Bye-bye expensive, semi-useless swimming pool; here's to a new hot tub that I can soak in and use year-round.

It will be mainly just for my use. I prefer jets off, so # of jets is not an important factor. No to lounge seats. Simple round seems the way to go.

I've got a dealer in my hometown that is offering at same price either a Jacuzzi 210 or a Sundance Denali: $5100 full install, steps, cover, cover lift, 6 months of chemical supplies. I live in the high-price San Francisco Bay Area, so I'm used to inflated prices.

What opinions/advice to me at this point?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Denali vs. J210 - new spa buyer
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sundance Denali vs. J210 - new spa buyer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »
 Both spa's are identical for the most part, take your pick.         I can tell you they are good running spa's with little to no problems.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »
Just like Jim said they are both very good made by same company, Jacuzzi owns Sundance, You may also want to check out a couple of other brands in your area as well to see how those 2 compare to each other and others , D1 Journey, Marquis Envy, Hot Spot Dash or Sprint models. check into each the best way to see the round ones is running
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

warmh2o

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

So, it seems I'm headed in a good direction as to where I'm thinking of putting down dollars. a no problem spa is of course a goal.

I sat in the Denali model (no water) today. It appealed to my senses a whole lot more than the Nordic Sport I also dry-tested on the showroom floor:something to do with the general contours, feel and look.

It's all subjective in this enterprise, eh what.

Any arguments to give me on behalf of considering a non-round small spa?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:40 am »
How do you plan to handle the cover?  Lift options are limited for round tubs.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

warmh2o

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:03 pm »
Cover lift . . . I'm now thinking of recessing the tub so that it sits just a little higher than the deck which should make the cover removal and replacement easier for me and also makes entry/exit easier. Cement pad below the deck and of course access to the working parts. From comments I've read about recessing a tub, I will need to build a deck that can allow for the tub's potential removal which poses some design issues.

Not sure about the recessing idea. It seems an aesthetic and practical option, but costly.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07:12 am »
I rent a cabin occasionally with such a spa and the owner built a shelf behind the hot tub on the deck that the folded cover just slides right on to.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jet Sitter

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »
warmh20 - I think the small round spas are a good choice that are overlooked by many, but there are some people who are not fans.  From a good manufacturer they are simple, cheap to operate, maintain and buy.  Simple operation.  Ideal for one, good for two.

In my area I did not see the Denali or J-210 as the dealers who sold them also sold Nordic and pushed those instead, not having the round tubs for Jacuzzi and Sundance on the floor and charging much higher prices for the round tubs from Jacuzzi and Sundance.  The Nordic tubs have a good reputation but, like you, I did not like them (aesthetics, seemed to lack insulation, uniform seating height).  My neighbor replaced his high-end rectangular Sundance with a round Nordic when he finally started having multiple problems with the Sundance and he is very happy and preaching the "simplicity " theme.

I researched and looked closely at the small round tubs and my favorites were the Marquis Envy and D1 Journey - both had better warranties and lower prices than the J-210 and Denali in my area, plus, I could wet test them.  In the end I bought a larger round tub - the D1 Arena.  It has many of the appealing features of the tubs you are looking at - one jet pump, easy controls, no head rests to rot / replace, infinite drink holding top edge.  I went that route as I wanted a little more size and better jetting - it has larger jets, including a volcano in the center that is great for the feet and legs after working out.

For you, not being concerned about the jetting, and not liking the Nordic, I think the J-210, Denali, Envy or Journey would each work well.  Just shop for the best dealer and consider price if dealers are equal.

warmh2o

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »
 :) These inputs are all good, and as I'm getting additional inputs off-line, all the accumulating information is letting me amass a "bigger picture" and better "design frame".

I'm really liking what I hear about "sinking" tubs with a few feet of "rise" above decks: allows and eases the use of cover removal/replacement and eases entrance/exit into the water.

Jet Sitter: The D1 Journey is just that bit too much bigger than I want to take on, but otherwise it is just what I like. The Marquis Envy is also just too big for my purpose. Thanks for voicing a pro to round tubs! I can see the utility of the square/rectangular, but I just love the simpler form and the echo of those redwood barrels of yore!.

wmccall: interesting further design consideration as to how to "stash/stack" the cover when in use.

The Jacuzzi 210 is so far leading, but I'm not sure exactly why if besides the Sundance Denali model in the showroom had a horribly glitzy liner.

I'm a small person (5'5") so that comes into the picture. Are there reputable spas that are less deep but without loungers I should consider?

Sorry to keep changing the questions on this forum item. It's a journey.

Swimming pools are seeming a bit simpler to me right now, but hopefully after I get the spa details/design worked out, and all will be Zen.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »
warmh20 - Hmmm...I thought that the Envy was actually the smallest of the bunch, but maybe not.  You are heading in a good direction and will be happy with whatever you end up with.

I forgot to mention that I sunk our D1 Arena into the ground and we are very pleased that we did.  It looks great with the round form in the rectangular deck, which in our case is over a concrete "vault in the ground, with drain.  The tub can be accessed from any side without steps and just seems better integrated than having the tub sitting full height on grade with steps to enter.  We do not have a cover lifter and, like others, just fold the cover and slide / lift it onto a low supporting wall behind the tub.  You don't even notice it when the tub is used as it does not sit up high.  Some like the additional privacy provided by a cover tilted behind the tub but we have fencing so wouldn't benefit from it in that way. There are two people using our tub 90% of the time so moving the cover this way is easy.  For one person, a cover lifter may be worthwhile.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »
warmh20
 when you look at the numbers on the sizes.

Envy    76" round
Denali  79" round
Dash    78" round
Spirit    78" round
j210     78" round
journey 78" round
sorry not sure on the Nordic, but i do not see how your measurements work out,, the Journey is not any bigger the the j210 model...but if your issue is with the water height, at 5'5" you are not going to be to short for the joueny , We just delivered 2 of those models 2 weeks ago 1 couple was 5'4 and 5'10, both love the spas fits them both well, since there are different seating heights, als the journey with the foot jets and the whirlpool is hard to beat, check the actual water movement between the different models... i think you will be impressed with the D1
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

warmh2o

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:26 pm »
Good Brethren, far more expert than I in the matter of home outdoor spas,
I stand corrected in certain dimension matters. Don't know quite what websites I was using to work off of, but all your feedback is accurate. My local dealership(s) were not party to my misinformation.

I'm going forward, I think, with the J210 nonetheless: dealership proximity, good testimonials, and the fact that they are dealing a deal at the moment are the motivating factors.

FYI: I told the dealer I was using this site for supportive information. He will most likely access it, hopefully straight forwardly representing himself as a dealer. Just keep your sharp eyes out for new entries that are "slanted" beyond fair.

I'll have more ?s to come, but for now, many thanks. I'm going to "sink" the tub and I'm going with small and round - all thanks to the feedback here.

Will send a pic when there is an image to post.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:39 pm »
warmh20 - I think the J-210 will be a nice tub for you.  It appears to have a couple of seating levels, a cool down seat, a few of the larger more effictive jets and a couple of decent foot jets (I am a foot jet fan).  While I enjoy sitting in front of the jets, it is also very nice to not be directly in front of the jets but have them all on with the pump on high and moving water - it is a nice effect in the round tubs - enjoy!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42